Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: 1889 Marlin 32-20 parts question

Boolit Master

1889 Marlin 32-20 parts question

Maybe this should be in the gunsmithing section but I'll start here.
    The ejector on the Marlin 32-20 that I just bought is broken. Numrich is out of them, but Wisner sells a "new style" ejector assembly with spring for $22. It looks nothing like the one that was in the rifle. Has anyone here ever tried one of the new style ejectors?

I think the old one was bubba'd which is why it doesn't look like a new one.
    Last edited by Battis; 06-10-2018 at 05:32 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    The 'old style' and the 'new style' ejectors are the same design and shape.
    The difference is the O/S used a small screw to hold the ejector in place in the frame. That screw went through a hole in the enlarged end of the ejector base and screwed into the frame. This from inside the action.

This held the ejector in place when the bolt was out of the gun for cleaning. But it made the ejector base weak by design and they often developed a crack through the thin portion around that hole in the ejector base.

So MArlin came up with the 'New Style' ejector. It's shaped exactly the same with the enlarged end to fit in the frame cut and all. A thin flat spring for power staked to the back. But no screw attachment.
    With the Bolt in place in the rifle, both styles of the ejector are held captive in place in the frame, with a screw or with out.
    That screw attachment in the Old Style held it in place when the bolt was taken out for cleaning so you didn't loose the ejector,, But the ejectors broke. Many from still cleaning from the muzzle and striking the flexed open point of the ejector with the cleaning rod and bending it out of shape.

So the New Style compromised and did away with the attachment screw.
    They still fit the Old Style recess,,they still stay put with the rifle assembled and function just the same.
    The one thing you do have to be careful for is to watch for the ejector falling free from the frame and getting lost when disassembling the rifle (removing the bolt).

These repro ejectors usually need a bit of trimming/file work around the base to make them fit into the milled recess in the frame .
    Some people complain that the spring on them isn't all that they'd like them to be and that ejection could be better,,more forcefull. But that they do work.
    The repros are sold by Wisners, Numrich sells,,or at least used to sell them. There was a supplier on Ebay that was selling repro Marlin ejectors and other parts also. I have a couple repros for the Model 1897 (22rf) lever action that I got off of Ebay some time ago. They seemed to work fine but needed a bit of fitting as well.

That old screw hole underneath the ejector for the OldStyle ejector attachment screw,,,the factory used to plug it with the old screw by turning it in and breaking the screw & head off flush with the bottom of the recess. Then install a New Style ejector in the recess.

Hope this helps..

Boolit Master
    Great info. Thanks. I didn't want to order one from Wisner's unless I was sure it would fit and work. The store will take the gun back but I'll spend $22 plus shipping to keep it.

Boolit Master
    The 1889 32-20 Marlin had three issues: broken firing pin, broken ejector, and a broken trigger/safety catch spring.
    Numrich had none, but Wisner's had the firing pin and the ejector. I ordered the firing pin and ejector and the store is going to take care of the cost (better than me returning the rifle, which I don't want to do). No one has a trigger/safety catch spring. It's the split spring with a thin finger that puts tension on the safety catch. No big deal - the rifle still works. Anyways, I cut a paper clip to length, looped one end which went under the spring screw, and bent the other end so it puts pressure on the safety catch. It's trapped in place and can't move, and it works perfectly.