Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Evaluation of the RCBS Easy Melt casting furnace with PID

Boolit Buddy

Evaluation of the RCBS Easy Melt casting furnace with PID

Guys,

If you subscribe to The Single Shot Exchange Magazine you can ignore this post since the article was just published in the most recent June 2018 edition. Otherwise, if you’re interested in a detailed evaluation of the RCBS Easy Melt casting furnace, click on the following link: http://www.texas-mac.com/Evaluation_..._with_PID.html

Wayne
    NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Boolit Master

texasmac- Rendering problems on latest FF, pictures covering text.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Thanks for the link. Nice article. I hadn't thought about the cooling period needed under power so the fan and PID doesn't melt. I'll have to plan for that (perhaps with a timer), since I do like to go cast early in the mornings while waiting on the Mrs to get ready to go somewhere. I can't just put down the mold and pull the plug and leave.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    HandFireW8,

I'm guessing you're using Chrome as you browser. Try control/+ (crt +) or control/- (ctr -) to change the image & text size.

Wayne
    Last edited by texasmac; 06-11-2018 at 09:17 AM.
    NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by texasmac View Post
    HandFireW8,

I'm guessing you're using Chrome as you browser. Try control/+ (crt +) or control/- (ctr -) to change the image & text size.

Wayne
    Same thing here. Not setup for those using an Android Tablet.
    Last edited by Valley-Shooter; 06-11-2018 at 09:28 AM.

Boolit Master

FF means Firefox.

If page sizing "fixes" the issue, you have a bad combination of fixed and variable sized elements, poor choices of anchor points, etc.

This is not 1996. Don't blame browsers or users. We are trying to help you here.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    A few musings.

Boolit Buddy
    FF means Firefox.

If page sizing "fixes" the issue, you have a bad combination of fixed and variable sized elements, poor choices of anchor points, etc.

This is not 1996. Don't blame browsers or users. We are trying to help you here.
    =====================

Thanks for the comments. I don't have the computer/software background to figure out the problem. It's interesting that the problem exists with Chrome but not with Firefox or iexplore. It may be the website builder (Aabaco) software, but I'd love to figure out the root cause.

Wayne

Looks good to me. Thanks for posting this review.
    The insulated state in which nature has placed the American continent should so far avail it that no spark of war kindled in the other quarters of the globe should be wafted across the wide oceans which separate us from them." -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by texasmac View Post
    =====================

Thanks for the comments. I don't have the computer/software background to figure out the problem. It's interesting that the problem exists with Chrome but not with Firefox or iexplore. It may be the website builder (Aabaco) software, but I'd love to figure out the root cause.

Wayne
    The problem exists with Firefox.
    A few musings.

Boolit Grand Master

I have no issues viewing it in Safari, Firefox and Opera in both mobile and desktop modes on my phone. That being said it’s a pain to read because it’s certainly set up for desktop browsing while pretty much everything is set up for mobile viewing these days. Regardless, thanks for the review.

Boolit Master
    Wayne,
    Thanks for the excellent article. Looks like I need to start planning for a new pot.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    The cooling fan or a well vented enclosure is a must for the long life a PID. I thought of using the alarm out put to power a fan but opted for a dead ONEAC power supply housing. Lots of ventilation slots and a heavy aluminum case to act as the SSR heat sink. Being located a foot from the lead pot also cuts down on the heat from the pot interfering with temperature readings. Instructions that came with my PID stated that adequate ventilation was necessary since the controller compared thermocouple readings to an internal standard to decide what it's next step would be. The guy at the scrapyard let me have the since I saved him the time of breaking down the internal components for salvage.