PBcastcoLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miroku 1892 - 44 Mag

Boolit Buddy

Miroku 1892 - 44 Mag

Just a quick review for anyone who is interested. I recently picked up a Miroku Winchester 1892 Carbine in 44 Mag and wanted to share my experience.

Pro's
    Bore - Mirror smooth, shoots lead with no leading at all.

Trigger - Its just fine despite the rumors about the rebounding hammer ruining the trigger pull. I have not measured mine but it is a bit lighter than my 80's vintage model 94. Way lighter than my 80's vintage Marlin 336. No noticeable creep.

Action - Smooth and easy to operate.

Sights - Buckhorns, not great for super precision but can cans and milk jugs full of water are in danger every time. I'm not a hunter but I would have no reserves for short range deer, hog and bear hunting if I was.

Fit and finish - Superb

Feeding - I have not tried SWC but 240 GR JHP and any other roundish shape feeds fine, 44 special included despite it saying 44 Mag only on the barrel.

Wood - A touch plain but attractive and fit very well.

Cons
    Stock - Is a little short for ape sized guys like me.

Throat - The throat is a touch short with my molds the part of the bullet ahead of the crimp groove hits the rifling. I just seat them a bit shorter and crimp the case into the lead in front of the crimp groove. Problem solved. I will shop for a mold that works without having to fudge AOL.

Cost - This is a tentative con. I was ok with the cost considering the overall quality.

Made in Japan - Not an issue for me but I included it because I know some have a problem with this.

Tang safety and Rebounding hammer - Again, not an issue for me but some traditionalists can't deal with it so I included it under "Cons".

Recoil - Its a thumper with full powered ammo and steel butt plate. Lighter cast loads are a pleasure. Might look into some kind of cool leather thingy to extend the stock and soften recoil a bit.

Overall - I am totally happy

If anyone is considering one and has questions I'll try to answer them for you.

Thanks
    Mike

Boolit Master

My brother has a Miroku/Browning Winchester 1886 in 45/70, outstanding quality and workmanship.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

I have a Browning/Miroku 92 in 45 Colt, my only Con would be the tang safety. It shoot's lights out with fat boolits. I put a Skinner barrel peep sight on a 50's Win. 32 Special and despite everything being not being crystal clear, it shoot the best groups I have ever shot with that rifle,most likely will add one to the BACO/Miroku.

Boolit Master
    I have a Miroku 1892, 32/20. 20" octagon. 1 of a 1000 made for Davidsons in 2002. I don't mind the tang safety, never use it. I did install a Marbles Tang Sight. The fit, function, and finish, are perfect.

I would have to list the curved butt plate as a negative, to the extent that I won't buy one. There is a model with a shotgun butt plate, but it is the 125th Anniversary Sporter, and at $1750 costs more than I would want to pay. I'm glad you like yours, but curved butt plates tear me up.
    Last edited by Tatume; 06-10-2018 at 06:40 PM.

Boolit Master

I have a Miroku/Winchester in .45 Colt. It shoots and handles a treat, likes fat bullets but not long ones.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

My best friend has the same riflemas the OP; loves it and it is very nicely fit and finished! Shoots well with jwords and shoots great with ....you guessed it; short fat cast boolits!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    I have a Miroku 1892, 32/20. 20" octagon. 1 of a 1000 made for Davidsons in 2002. I don't mind the tang safety, never use it. I did install a Marbles Tang Sight. The fit, function, and finish, are perfect.
    The tang safety doesn't interfere with the tang sight? Please show a photo. Thanks.

Boolit Master

I have a Miroku 1873 in 44-40 and plan to purchase the Win 1866 Deluxe soon soon as I can find a 45 colt in stock. The quality of the Miroku’s are exceptional and I have nothing but accolades for their craftmanship. Wish my union employees felt similiarly, but I digress. Both of the aforementioned do not feature the dreaded tang safety. Why one model requires it for safety reasons and another does not is beyond my logic. Have nothing but admiration for the Japanese made rifles, except for the tang safety on certain models (1886, 1892, 1894). I have been eyeballing an 1892 in 45 colt for a coons age and continually vacillate over the Miroku because of the tang safety vs the Cimarron and Navy without. And the simple fact that I prefer my Winchester designs to be Winchester made regardless of the geography - no practical reason for the sentiment included. If Simpson’s LTD would list an original at an earthly price my dilimna would be solved. Have a newer Rossi 92 in 45 colt but hate its safety as well and have plans to sell. Again, can’t claim a practical reason other than it is there and wasn’t originally! Love my earlier Rossi in 44 mag that was manufactured prior to the consultation of lawyers.

Darn Tang safety on the Winchester 1892 gets in the way every time when I go to seal the deal.

I have rambled for far longer than anticipated, but the op struck a chord...
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 06-11-2018 at 05:39 AM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    The tang safety doesn't interfere with the tang sight? Please show a photo. Thanks.
    Marbles makes it to mount behind the Tang safety.

Boolit Master
    Just took this picture:
    Attachment 221911

Boolit Buddy
    I have 2 in 44-40 and they are my favorite rifle.

I put Skinner barrel mounted peeps and front blade sights on mine and find they really help.

I solve the length of pull issue with a leather butt cover from Richochet Roy on ebay. He makes one with a 3/4" extension.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180406_070605497_iOS (Medium).jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    I have 5 Miroku/Winchesters, they are indeed top notch guns. The rebound hammers and tang safeties don't bother me and have never given me trouble. My only complaint is my 92 in .45 Colt has a large chamber that can be hard on brass after a few reloadings (but one can "neck size" the brass and it seems to las just fine and still fits in every other chamber I've tried). Ya, they are spendy but they are worth every penny. Just the other day I saw the newest '73 "Deluxe Sporting"... 24" barrel, case colored, shotgun butt plate, etc... I think I see another purchase in my future!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HawkCreek View Post
    I have 5 Miroku/Winchesters, they are indeed top notch guns. The rebound hammers and tang safeties don't bother me and have never given me trouble. My only complaint is my 92 in .45 Colt has a large chamber that can be hard on brass after a few reloadings (but one can "neck size" the brass and it seems to las just fine and still fits in every other chamber I've tried). Ya, they are spendy but they are worth every penny. Just the other day I saw the newest '73 "Deluxe Sporting"... 24" barrel, case colored, shotgun butt plate, etc... I think I see another purchase in my future!
    Now you have me concerned that the 1866 Win Deluxe in 45colt I am considering has a large chamber...hmmm. Gave my Uberti 1866 to my brother for xmas hence my shopping spree.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinakaq View Post
    Now you have me concerned that the 1866 Win Deluxe in 45colt I am considering has a large chamber...hmmm. Gave my Uberti 1866 to my brother for xmas hence my shopping spree.
    I've only have experience with my own '92 chamber but I've read where others have had this problem with Miroku .45 Colt chambers (though I was looking at other '92 owners no other models at the time). It's enough to bug you at first but it's not actually an issue IMO. They are still within SAAMI spec. and if you don't fully resize your brass it's life isn't really shortened. If you look close at your brass it looks a little wonky but it functions just fine and as I said it still fits in all my other .45 Colt chambers (including a tight cylinder for a Freedom Arms revolver).

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkCreek View Post
    I've only have experience with my own '92 chamber but I've read where others have had this problem with Miroku .45 Colt chambers (though I was looking at other '92 owners no other models at the time). It's enough to bug you at first but it's not actually an issue IMO. They are still within SAAMI spec. and if you don't fully resize your brass it's life isn't really shortened. If you look close at your brass it looks a little wonky but it functions just fine and as I said it still fits in all my other .45 Colt chambers (including a tight cylinder for a Freedom Arms revolver).
    I can't imagine wanting a chamber any tighter that a Freedom Arms revolver.

Boolit Master

That tang sight looks good. Thanks for the photo.

Boolit Buddy
    FYI, the Marbles tang sights are designed to fit the rifles which are drilled and tapped for it.
    It uses 2 screws.
    One screw replaces the Tang Screw which is a 5mm metric screw with fine threads. The other drilled and tapped hole is very small and close to the tang screw due to limited area behind the safety.

Not all of the current Miroku/Winchester 92's are Drilled and Tapped. My Saddle Ring Carbines are not, but the short rifles are.

Boolit Buddy
    My Miroku '92 (16" barrel, SRC, large loop) was not drilled for a tang sight.

A follow up to my comment about large .45 Colt chambers. The swollen brass does indeed fit a FA .45 Colt chamber but it is tight and must be pressed (thumb pressure nothing more) into the chamber the last 1/2". They will NOT fit into my FA .454 chambers. They do drop right into any Ruger .45 chamber that I've tried though. Hope the clarification helps.

Boolit Buddy
    As a follow up, I first mentioned I haven't tried 44 Special in this gun. Got out this past weekend and ran some 44 Special with 245 grain LRNFP ammo and it fed and functioned perfectly. I'm not sure why the barrel reads "44 Magnum Only"

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast