PBcastcoRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1916 Spanish Mauser in 308 - value? Advice?

Boolit Master
    If the 7.62X51 Spanish Mausers were still available for less than 150 USD in very good condition I'd consider buying one, but anything higher than that would be paying a premium for a reworked rifle that is worth less to me than if it were still in original condition as a 7mm.
    I would use only my tailored handloads. If a supply of good condition Boxer primed 7.62 milsurp ammo became available dirt cheap I would buy it only to use as components.

I've run across badly degraded milsurp 7.62 ammo in the past. Some was manufactured using WW2 surplus thick flake type powders that in certain condition breaks down to an acidic dust or mush that eats holes in otherwise good brass cases. It smelled like cankered cat urine. Ammonia dissolves copper based alloys, that's why its used as a bore cleaning solvent. Not something you want inside a cartridge case. Even the gilding metal cladding of steel jackets peeled away.

Funny thing the naked steel jackets were so highly polished and slippery even bone dry that it was difficult to keep a grip on them. They kept jumping from between finger and thumb like wet watermelon seeds or orange pips.

Boolit Master

Personally I will not shoot a .308 win in anyone's 1893 Mauser action. I also will not drink the water in any country that does that.

308 Win is to big a chance. I do not want to win the blow apart lottery.

Many dis-agree so do what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    $370 is really high for a Spanish Mauser. $300 is acceptable, $250 or less is better.
    I've seen nice examples priced at $399.00 and they sold.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Banned
    An ancient Mauser never made in 308 for more money than a new TC Compass ? Hmmm?

Boolit Master
    In fact ,the design of a 308 case is more suited to a 93 than the original mauser case.......the reason being the weak point of the pre 98 actions is the unsupported rim rebate.In the 308 case the base of the case is much strengthened to work safely in autos .

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't mind having a 93 or 95 action rebarreled for the .30-30 Winchester or .32 Special. I think it would make for an excellent cast boolit woods rifle.
    Years ago very good condition 93 actions were available for $25. Wish I'd got one while they were cheap.
    The rimmed cartridge might require an angled spacer fore and aft in the magazine box.
    A magazine and floor plate assembly to convert Mausers to rimmed cartridges was made by Rigby for sporting rifles and once used on prototype Mauser carbines in .303 British.

I rebarreled and converted a rotten barreled 7mm 1916 Spanish Mauser to 30-30 Win. It turned out to be a favorite with cast and jacketed loads. The only magazine work it needed was to install a stop on the rear of the follower for the cartridge rim to "stop" on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    I suppose you can build anything you want. My question is, as old Mausers are now collectible and no longer cheap, why ?
    Savage, Ruger and TC all make entry level 308s that will end up costing less than a re-done mauser AND will still be worth something when you're done. I don't drive across country in a repurposed 1900s car fitted with a 350 crate engine ---- feel the same way about rifles.

I would only use a previously sporterized Mauser which is what I did in this case. I agree that you shouldn't modify an original condition Mauser no matter what country it is from.
    There is something special about using a rifle you put together yourself, though.

Sarco has 1893 actions for $99 if the bug bites anyone.

I have a 1916 Civil Guardia (sp?) in very good condition and I love just messing around with it with cast , mild, low pressure reloads.
    It's a fun , short rifle to have and use ,,,,,,,,,,,,, I think anyway.
    I don't get into the "he said , she said" side of things regarding strength and pressures .

If you understand the limitations and like shooting the thing then that's enough for me.

Isn't this why we cast and reload to begin with ?.
    Keep breathing , it's good for ya...

1916 Spanish Mauser in .308 is safe to shoot all day long. Proven daily. Hence the popularity.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

I picked up one of the 1916 Civil Gardia rifles three or four years ago. It had been rebarreled to 7.62x51 and, apparently, refurbished (reblue and refinish) at the same time. From the bluing wear on the stock furniture and rack dings, it appeared to have been carried a lot and shot very little...the bore was bright with sharp lands and slugged .301/.3085. Paid something like $180 for it OTD.

Gun hasn't seen a factory round since I brought it home but has put a couple thousand CBs downrange without a bobble. Shooting the RCBS 30-165 SIL, it'll match most of my other milsurps for accuracy out to 200 yds.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 07-01-2018 at 11:12 AM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Shortly after Israel was left armless and alone by the England, Israel started re-arming with any rifles they could get.
    After the initial fighting Israel began to re-barrel thousands of 1916 Mausers in 308. We bought 6 about 30 years ago. Still have at least one that we carry in a car trunk off and on. Shoots well enough with .310 GC cast to do what a battle rifle is needed to do.
    Mike in ILLinois
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

Information from the "horse's mouth" , so to speak, shows clearly 7.62 NATO ammunition was intended to be used in the FR7 (M1916s also) and the FR8 rifles. As I stated earlier actual pressure testing of Spanish 7.62 CETME ammunition shows it is not a "lower pressure" round. In fact it has a psi matching and exceeding the psi of many factory 308W ammunition. The time pressure curve was changed by using a faster burning powder and lighter weight bullet to ensure functioning in the non-fluted chambers of the early CETME rifles.

Attachment 223007Attachment 223008Attachment 223009Attachment 223010
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12