Lee PrecisionRepackboxPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A String of Failure to Fires in My ‘73

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    Brass doesn't need to be quenched when annealed, as the quenching doesn't affect the final result one way or another. The only reason people quench brass is to cool it sooner for handling, or so they don't have hot brass around their hands that they aren't immediately handling. Whether quenched or air cooled, the result is the same.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    you might be right ? but the water also serves a couple other purposes - stops the base of the case from softening for one ----if you want to sit there for hours and do em one at the time - feel free - I got better things to do.

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    you might be right ? but the water also serves a couple other purposes - stops the base of the case from softening for one ----if you want to sit there for hours and do em one at the time - feel free - I got better things to do.
    The water stops the brass from heating below the level of the water, but the water quenching has no bearing whatsoever on the tempering of the brass, which is what you indicated in your post. What you're doing with the water level is stopping the heat from going any further, and it speeds up the process, but you're not "quenching", as in affecting the hardness, or softness of the brass itself.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    The water stops the brass from heating below the level of the water, but the water quenching has no bearing whatsoever on the tempering of the brass, which is what you indicated in your post. What you're doing with the water level is stopping the heat from going any further, and it speeds up the process, but you're not "quenching", as in affecting the hardness, or softness of the brass itself.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Ok so I been doin the right thing for the wrong reason ......you got me on a technicality

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12