RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

Thread: Factory Cast Bullet recommendations for S&W 629 44 mag

Boolit Buddy

Factory Cast Bullet recommendations for S&W 629 44 mag

I have two S&W 629 44 magnums, a 6.5 and 8 3/8” that I’d like to load some ammo for and try to kill a deer with this year. Killed a couple w my 460 S&W last year and just want to use some of my other guns.

Looking for a factory cast bullet for these guns. With them being S&W I’ve been told not to shoot the 300gr bullets in them.

Boolit Master
    You can, but you gotta be careful of the OAL of the loaded cartridge. I shoot the Lee 310, but I cast them myself. An acquaintance wanted to put one or two in his Smith, but as I had crimped them on the bottom groove, it made them too long.

Beyond that, I can't help with factory cast.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

BKS, in the 50's Rremington .44 mag. was a gas checked lead bullet of 240 gr. they were HOT! you might find some from that era, they may have been swaged, but looked like a cast bullet, Fivefang

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

every commercial caster makes a clone of the keith. they've been killing deer pretty effectively for well over half a century. the thompson 240 grain with a gas check is also an excellent design. Seeing how you have limited control over fit or alloy with commercial cast, you may have better luck with a gas check design as far as accuracy and leading are concerned.

Once upon a time I migrated from the 429421 to the 300 grain 429650 for deer in my redhawk. All I really got was more recoil, fewer boolits from my stash and a deer just as stone cold dead as one shot with a 429421. If they shoot more accurately or give you more confidence have at them. In my case I can't justify the heavier boolit when objectively weighed in the field.

your mileage may vary
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Grand Master
    another ^^^^^^ for the 429421.

Oregon Trail Laser Cast bullets are excellent commercial cast bullets, and shoot well in my guns. The 240 grain SWC would do very well.
    https://www.oregontrailbullet.com/

Also, Montana Bullet Works makes excellent bullets. There is a wide assortment from which to choose.
    http://montanabulletworks.com/

Boolit Master

Better slug and mic the cylinder throats on them. My M 629 had extremely tight throats, about .428".

Had Doug the cylinder man open them up for me, and she shoots cast great, no leading of the forcing cone.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting