RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WHY You Want To Check The OIL Before You Mow!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Now for the $100,000 question. Wife know you have her pot?
    I'm willing to bet Doug cleans it and puts it back in the cabinet. He's from Ocean Springs. It gives his gumbo that Gulf Coast flavor.

Boolit Buddy
    Many years back when motorcycles had carbs, we had a bike come in to the shop with a clicking noise. The owner said it made a loud thunk when he tried to start it, then after that it started but made the click. Turns out that when the bike was on the side stand the float would stick in the left carb, and it dripped enough gas in to the cylinder that it bent the rod when the starter kicked it over. Warranty covered it, but it was hard to figure it out.

Boolit Master
    Hi Doug.Those Briggs engines are a pretty good engine.But as you say,parts will eat your lunch or give ya a heart attack.About 2 years ago,a friend built a real nice wood boat and used a V twin Briggs for power.IIRC it was something like 25 or 30 HP.Inboard setup.
    Most economical for operating costs.Uses it in Lake Okeechobee and the Intercoastal waterway.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Grand Master

Briggs marked parts are STUPID expensive

Try Cub Cadet marked parts, Doug.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Briggs marked parts are STUPID expensive

Try Cub Cadet marked parts, Doug.
    This is what you do... You go to www.partstree.com and find your model, find your parts, (roll your eyes at the prices listed!) get the part numbers, most are a 6 digit number, open an ebay search and put the number in, voila! Your headaches, AND your getting ripped off from the stealership are a thing of the past!

I still have to take the muffler off and roll it around and drain it, it's the lowest point where gasoline could collect and still be lurking, and could easily cause an explosion and/or fire if I try and start the newly repaired motor without making sure it's cleared of the fuel and fumes.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

I buy most of my MTD parts from SEPW. Reasonable prices and freight, great catalogs. I have found that a genuine Cub Cadet deck drive belt will outlast an "equivalent" MTD belt 2 to 1 or better. I bought my Cub Cadet when my MTD mower locked up just like DougGuy's. Had a shop in town fix it and install a shutoff valve. After that repair bill I fixed it a time or two myself until I learned to use the shutoff. Made a good backup to my Cub Cadet. Sold it to my neighbor after buying my Kubota. I explained to him about the shutoff but for some reason he quit using it soon after he bought it.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Gas in my girlfriends VW engine was an all day project. After I got it running for a few minutes I did another oil change.

Then there was the time she forgot she had put a trash bag over the engine to keep water out. (It rains sideways here.) The bag mostly went through the fan onto the tops of the cylinders.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I have fuel shutoff valves on every engine where I could find a place to put one. I have never regretted having them.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    On old VWs also a shredded alternator belt (or, I imagine, covering plastic garbage bag) could cover up the oil cooler holes, then your oil doesn't stay cool and the engine dies; Not good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12