WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Herter's 40 Brass

Boolit Bub

Herter's 40 Brass

Anybody else notice that Herter's 40 S&W brass has much tighter mouth than other 40 brass? Everytime I run a Herter's through the 650, I get a lot of resistance pushing the handle back up from belling and charging the case. It will also swage my boolit down a bit if I load it. I have a pile of them that I'll eventually fix with an expander, but wondering if anybody else has trouble.

Boolit Master
    I have never seen Herter's 40 S&W brass.

Boolit Bub
    I’ve came across quite a bit. In brass I’ve bought and picked up. The budget commercial rounds

Boolit Master

Yess I've seen Herters brass and it all goes into a bag that will be disposed of at the metals recyclers.

Herter's ammunition is made for Cabela's (now Bass Pro Shop/Cabela's) by S&B. It's reloadable brass, but it takes a little more finesse to use it. The primer pockets are snug, which I consider a good thing, and the brass is of a slightly different alloy, but it holds up well in the calibers I've loaded it in (.38 Spl., .357 Magnum, .45 acp, .45 Colt, etc.).

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    I've pitched all of it for my 40 S&W reloading due to being thicker brass and really tight primer pockets. PITA and not worth it when there is plenty all over the ranges I frequent.

Boolit Master

Herter's, and S&B, brass is of an alloy that seems to be tougher to expand, and seems to spring back to a small diameter than a lot of other commercial brass. The difficulty in sizing and expanding shows this. If you are determined to reload it, consider getting an expanding die of larger than normal diameter. The Lyman M-die design is tops to keep from squishing down your soft cast bullets. I don't get much of it, and have taken to scrapping it like some others posted above.

Boolit Bub
    Suppose I could shove a fmj in them, if I had any

Can't address the 40S&W but I just finished loading about 50pcs in 45acp and have to agree about the primer pockets.