PBcastcoTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: M A S model 45

Boolit Master

M A S model 45

Went by the lgs this afternoon and wound up coming home with the cleanest MAS 45 .22 rifle Iv'e ever seen. I hope to get it to the range tomorrow afternoon and see what it can do accuracy wise. When I first saw it I noticed its condition and reasonable price then I found out it came with 10 spare original magazines. The next thing I knew I was doing paperwork. Boy I sure hope it don't rain tomorrow.

Banned
    Been a while since I've seen one of those. Decent .22 training rifle. They were common at gun shows in the late 80's and early 90's but then sort of disappeared.

Boolit Master
    Yep I remember back then,it seamed like everyone at the shows was selling them and I was kinda interested but passed for other items. I figured I'd get one later on then they dried up except for the ones with crazy prices.

Boolit Bub
    These are neat little rifles,the one I have is very accurate.I wish I had a couple of extra magazines,you got ten with it.Wow!

Boolit Master
    I just got back from the range, that rifle does shoot very well. Dime size groups or less at 25 yards for 10 shots using Federal champion and auto-match. With almost boring regularity I was plinking pieces of clay pigeon off the berm.

These are great full size rifles that bring a lot to the table for little $$$. Still have 1 laying around un-issued in cosmoline.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

If you look at the side of the front sight on the mas you will see a # stamped it it. It will be a 0/5/10/15/20/25/30. The different #'s = different sight heights. They made the "sets" of different sight heights so that the user could use anything from 22 shorts to 22lr hv ammo and have the rear sight read the correct yardage for the speed of the ammo.

The older mausers take the same front sight blades, as do the older anschutz's. The cz 452's also used the same front sight blade.

A lot of people got the mas 45's and filed the front sight down to get the hv ammo to match the rear sight ladder/meters.

Enjoy your mas 45, they flat out shoot.

Boolit Master

10 Magazines???

DANG, seems to be a deal right there, and a kewl rifle too.
    Not much piques my interest any more, but that is the sort of rifle that would capture my attention.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 06-26-2018 at 10:40 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

I have a nice M45 that I'm upgrading. Found and had installed a NIB Lyman M48-M22 rear sight that was made long ago for this rifle. You guys on the same road, be aware that the M45 rear sight base is sweat soldered to the receiver.

Next comes the semi-inletted sporter stock, also found on the bay. It will make a nice rifle, but also note that this thing is quite heavy for a 22, most of the weight being in the thick barrel.

They actually thinned the bbl down on the mas 45 compared to the then "target" rifles of the day. A mas 45 next to a mauser es340b made in 1934.
    [IMG][/IMG]

The mas front sights are square & the mauser target rifle sights are chisel pointed to match the 6 0-clock hold/black diameter. A target sight for the mauser es340b
    [IMG][/IMG]

Boolit Master
    Yes the 10 spare magazines were the leverage that twisted my arm. Like I really needed another .22 but a minty MAS with 10 spare mags for 425.00 out the door was too good to pass up.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    Yes the 10 spare magazines were the leverage that twisted my arm. Like I really needed another .22 but a minty MAS with 10 spare mags for 425.00 out the door was too good to pass up.
    Absolutely

Boolit Master

Is anyone making a scope mount for the mas 45?

Boolit Master
    B-square used to make a really bad scope mount back when the rifles were being imported but I don't know of anyone now. All I want for mine is a lower front sight and a lot of range time.

Boolit Master
    I have an old B-Square mount somewhere that I never attached. Have another MAS 45 with a scope on it. I did not put the scope on it but will look when I get the Sentry Safe that will not open opened which I expect to get opened this week. I recall it has a 4 or 6x scope on it and maybe eventually I'll put a 30x on it just to see what it can do.

I bought the second one just because it had a scope on it and was curious what it could do.

1Hawkeye, there was a really clean one at Clark Bros gun shop and range and it is now gone. Is that were you got it? 70 old eyes tends to minimize my iron sight rifle shooting a bit.

Boolit Master
    Nope being a former employee I avoid that place like the plague.
    It came from Virginia arms co in Manassas.

I will have to stop there more often

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    B-square used to make a really bad scope mount back when the rifles were being imported but I don't know of anyone now. All I want for mine is a lower front sight and a lot of range time.
    That's why I brought up the mauser front sights. They have the same base as the mas front sight and sets are easier to find. Because of the rear sight location/heights the mauser sights are shorter. When using the same ammo the mas will have the poi and the mauser when using the same front sight #.
    [IMG][/IMG]