Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: RCBS custom bullet seater for 357/38?

RCBS custom bullet seater for 357/38?

Does anyone know what the comparable machine screw would be that fits the RCBS dies for 357/38?

I am thinking of making a few custom ones on the lathe. Then use JBWeld to make an epoxy filled base to fit 180gr WFN, Sierra 158gr JSP, and Magtech SJHP rounds.

Thoughts? Could I get away with making it from aluminum instead of steel? Or maybe have the main part steel and just a replaceable end with 6065 or 7071 that the bullet seater would screw into?

1/2 nf
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

If you have a lathe (good on ya!) and want custom bullet seaters, I recommend looking at the Hornady sliding sleeve seaters. The working parts are simple turning jobs, no threads required - straight cylinder bored for bullet diameter and case neck; and straight seating stem with a small collar. I load nearly everything with them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    If you have a lathe (good on ya!) and want custom bullet seaters, I recommend looking at the Hornady sliding sleeve seaters. The working parts are simple turning jobs, no threads required - straight cylinder bored for bullet diameter and case neck; and straight seating stem with a small collar. I load nearly everything with them.
    I agree with Nueces, best non custom seating system going. Regards Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    1/2 nf
    That 1/2-20 (NF), correct? I see this listed, but, I wanted to be 100% certain.
    http://rcbs.com/Products/Accessories...gs-1-2-20.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by DEVERS454 View Post
    That 1/2-20 (NF), correct? I see this listed, but, I wanted to be 100% certain.
    http://rcbs.com/Products/Accessories...gs-1-2-20.aspx
    OK, I am glad you double checked as I was wrong. I grabbed a seating stem out of a die in my press and it was 1/2 X 20 (National fine). I doubled checked just now and it was a Lyman seating die.

I went to my die cabinet and took out a real RCBS 1980 seating die and the seating stem threads are 1/4 X 28 (National Fine). Of course the actual seating nose portion of the stem is larger at .356.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Well, I ordered an extra seater plug. I'll cut it back to where I can then drill/tap for a 1/8-32 bolt to go in then loctite it in place. Then do the same with the 7075 seater nose "bank" I will make on the lathe.

Surprised RCBS doesn't come up with a solution like this already for folks.

Boolit Buddy
    I have made several custom seater parts for my dies. My preferred material is 12L14 "leaded steel", as it machines easily and is more than strong for the job.