MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: Converting 6.5 Grendel back to 7.62x39

Boolit Mold

Converting 6.5 Grendel back to 7.62x39

Hello Guys,
    I am an older member, but I believe this is my first post. I have a friend who has a bunch of 6.5 Grendel brass that was made from 7.62x39 brass. I don't own a 6.5 Grendel, but I do own a few 7.62x39 rifles and I am always looking for boxer primed, reloadable, affordable brass. My friend is offering me some of this brass, and, if I can make this conversion from 6.5 Grendel back to 7.62x39, I would like to try. My friend Larry is willing to do some trading, but I am not convinced this conversion is even possible. Has anyone here tried this before, and if so, how did it go?
    Thanks in advance,
    Rabbit

Boolit Master

Anything is possible. I would assume it could work. Down side is the fire forming things thins the brass walls. When you size it and put that taper back in it, that brass is gonna flow some where. Try it and see. Lube it so it doesn't stick in the sizer dies. Check the case length afterwards. I would anneal them after sizing to relieve any stress on the brass and soften the heavy work hardening.

I fire form Grendel brass. I almost got my hands on an SKS. The deal fell through though.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    If the price/deal was right, I think I might try to either sell the Grendel brass and buy 7.62X39 brass, or else see if I could trade it for something else useful.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    It takes a good tapered expander to open the neck then anneal the brass. That said you could trade 6.5 G. For 7.62x39 easily so why reform the brass.
    I open 223 to .243 and .308 so it would be possible for you. Imperial sizing was now Hornady product is your friend to do this.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    If the price/deal was right, I think I might try to either sell the Grendel brass and buy 7.62X39 brass, or else see if I could trade it for something else useful.
    This is what I'd do too.

Banned
    Brass is cheap, why mess around with incorrect head stamp ?

In Remembrance

Trade for it......and then trade it away for what you want/need. Why mess with it?
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Buddy
    I have some boxer primed brass 7.62x39 cases I'd be interested in trading. Please send me a PM.