Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7.62X39 Bolt Guns for Cast Boolits

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nseries View Post
    CENTEX BILL, this is a youth model with a 12.5" pull and 20" lightweight barrel. But for $332.49 shipped using the 5% off discount code "FATHER", I couldn't pass it up.

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/38252

They now have 2 in stock at this time.
    That Howa and that Cooper 6 mm Mannlicher push lust to new highs for me!!
    Look twice, shoot once.

The Ruger Ranch is the only way to go. I believe. I own a CZ and a mini Mauser in 7.62x39 but my Ruger our shoots them consistently. I have already killed 2 deer with my Ruger with the lee 309-150FN PCed over 20.5 grn of IMR4198 and I get sub 1” groups Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8CE58F1C-88D7-4D1D-B621-2DD1E5A217D8.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	222152
    that is as fast as I could cycle and shoot at 125 yards... (why our range is 125 I will never know)

However my TC compass in 308 will do this.... 15 rounds yes 15 at 50 yards
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0A9FC779-CC9F-422E-92C3-BEE00F8C4EFA.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	222153

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    That Howa and that Cooper 6 mm Mannlicher push lust to new highs for me!!
    Too bad they don't make that Cooper in 7.62x39...but it still would cost more than my truck, suv and "new" van combined.

Boolit Master

I have the Ruger American Ranch bolt action in 7.62x39. Cast, Wolf, and Federal Amercian Eagle all do 2-3 min at 100 yards off a bag, bipod or lead sled. Accuracy does not improve with a lead sled.

Get a 308 Win and load it down to 7.62x39 velocity levels.
    Never seen one that wouldn't shoot cast well.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorxring View Post
    Get a 308 Win and load it down to 7.62x39 velocity levels.
    Never seen one that wouldn't shoot cast well.

Just a thought.
    Well sure that works, but then you don't have any excuse to buy a new gun.

Boolit Buddy
    I purchased an old norinco bolt gun in 7.62 x39 the barrel was shot out, I was fortunate enough to pick up ruger 7.62 x 39 stainless barrel for next to nothing, it will be one of the last rifles I sell, its not a tack driver but it handles anything I feed it including cast.

Boolit Master
    I would go with the CZ. I recently purchased a Ruger American in .308 and it has become a very nice rifle after adding a Boyd's stock. But I've spent nearly what the CZ costs now and it is a far superior firearm with walnut and steel instead of plastic parts. And the set trigger is priceless. And the CZ comes with iron sights too.

Banned
    The only reason I can see to but a 7.62x39 is to shoot cheap military steel case ammo. Otherwise a 308 will do everything better.

Boolit Master
    Efficiency, the case is the right size to get a midweight 30 caliber bullet to a good velocity for hunting and small enough to fit in a truly small action.
    And a 358 Win does everthing better, better ��
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Yes there is.....that's what my bolt gun 7.62x39 is.
    I built my custom bolt action 7.62x39 many years ago when Interarms in Britain was still distributing the Zastava mini-Mauser actions. I ordered a barreled action in the short Russian chambering, bedded it into a synthetic stock, cleaned up the adjustable trigger, and then topped it off with a 2x7 Leupold. It only weighs about 6 pounds all up. I built my rifle over 30 years ago and still have it ... and it's still one of my favorite little carbines!
    Last edited by Reverend Al; 06-19-2018 at 08:27 PM.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

Reverand AL, you rifle nearly duplicates mine. I have a Burris 2-7x scope on mine.

My little Ruger Hawkeye Compact 7.62x39 is shorter and handier than my Winchester 94 carbine. It kills deer graveyard dead with cast boolits and Hornady 125 jacketed.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

My CZ is also equipped with a Leoupold 2X7 and is very handy with the set trigger.

Boolit Mold
    mini howa 1500 in 7.62x39 has 1-9.45" twist. NOT 1-8. starting to work up cast for mine as well. it's a NICE action as far as the metal goes (barreled action). the cheap stock and plastic bottom metal were done to meet a price point and, unfortunately, distract from it in my opinion. but there are after market stocks and bottom metal that do make improvements. B&C has 2 stocks. M40 Style and sporter style. DIP and jefferson outdoors have aluminum bottom metal. i really like my mini howa in 7.62x39. the one reason to consider it for CBs as over a 308 Win or 30-06 or host of other 30 caliber choices is that the powder capacity is about 1/2 of a 308. so for moderate velocity loads (1600 - 2200 fps) which most Pb alloys can handle, the loading density is much improved. of course Lino can be pushed hard in any of the 30 calibers, but often learning to reduce leading >2200fps takes a more intense focus. 2K and under is, in my opinion, much easier to develop a good plinking load with CBs that doesn't lead and is reasonably accurate. and another reason is CB casting and hand loading is a good relaxing hobby. and something to do if we're asked to "shelter in place". as noted earlier, if bought at case volume levels, loaded ammo (wolf/tula) can still be acquired for about $0.23/round shipped. so those that say it's not cost effective to reload for this caliber, i understand your argument. however, for spending time at the range or in the field with a moderate caliber that doesn't leave your shoulder black and blue, is fairly economical, and, like all CB load development, gives satisfaction in developing an accurate plinking hand load, this caliber is not a bad choice, even if not as mainstream as say a 30-06. another thing is it is an excuse to get a new rifle and new moulds and to have more fun. yes the 30-06 can be down loaded, no argument. finding a powder that gives great accuracy at highly reduced charges brings it's own challenges. so for those that want to play with the 7.62x39, like i'm starting to, i'd still recomment the mini howa. it comes in 3 barrel profiles, or did. i picked the 22" standard profile. there's a 20" heavy profile, and they might still list a 20" featherweight profile too. Brownell's sells the barreled actions for those that know they're going to end up with the B&C stock and DIP or Jefferson Outdoors bottom metal anyway.

my 22" sporter factory barrel has shot 1 MOA with 123gr FMJ Lapua factory ammo (Lapua knows how to make accurate ammo) and a 4x scope at 100 yards. so i know it's probably more capable than i am. so if i end up with poor groups with cast, i know it's time to improve my cast load and it's not the rifle.
    have fun
    -tdbru

I have the Ruger with out the threaded barrel and my brothers hard cast 130 grain plain base will keep all shots in 1 to 1.5 inches at 100 yards. Taken many a feral dog and hog with it.

ACC

Banned

I have a Zastava mini-mauser that is an absolute tackdriver!

I have the Howa 1500. Use boolit 311410 Lyman Works really good. Keeps them in the black at 100 yards.

Boolit Buddy
    I am big fan of the 7.62x39, especially in bolt guns, I have 4 of em! Got two of the Zastvas, one imported by Charles Daly and one by InterArms, and two Ruger, a 77 Hawkeye compact and an American Ranch. They are all accurate with anything i feed them, it is a great cast boolit round and really shines in a bolt gun. The Zastavas have great barrels and easily adjusted triggers, their weak point is poor extraction, they just don't extract well. Their wood stocks are nice and i like the 20" barrels, which in my mind is perfect. The Rugers are also very accurate with both cast and jacketed, the 77 will shoot any jacketed full power hand load into an 1" or less with any load I have tried. The only criticism i can find with the Rugers is the 16" barrel's, while very handy they are loud and I prefer a slightly longer barrel. For the money it is very hard to beat the American ranch rifle, I really like the mini thirty magazines, well proven and rugged and with an Mcarbo trigger spring installed a very good trigger. Defiantly the finish and stock of the american are utility grade but function and accuracy is fantastic. My usual woods walking load is 11.5grs of bluedot and either a 314440 or a 115gr ranch dog boolit, for deer hunting they are usually stoked with the 150gr Ranchdog bullet with either RL15 or Data68.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12