Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.62X39 Bolt Guns for Cast Boolits

Boolit Buddy

7.62X39 Bolt Guns for Cast Boolits

I want to buy a 7.62x39 bolt gun for cast boolit shooting.

Three choices come to mind.

a. Ruger Ranch rifle with 1/10 twist- approx $400
    16.5 barrel, threaded barrel.

b. Howa 1500 mini Heavy barrel. 1/8 twist approx $500, 20 inch barrel 0.730 muzzle dia.

c. CZ 527 carbine with 1/9.5 twist, 18.5 inch barrel.
    approx $650.

I am leaning toward the Howa but will the 1/8 twist be too fast cast. I play to shoot 150-180 gr at 1500-1700 fps.

I would appreciate your comments on the pros and cons of each of these rifle.

Thanks,
    Centex Bill

Boolit Master

The target trigger feature on the CZ is pretty cool.

Boolit Master
    Another option is to buy a barreled action and stock separately. If you put these in your cart and sign up for Brownell's email list, they will send you a code for 10% off within a week or so.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod94643.aspx

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod94579.aspx

Vendor Sponsor

I think there is a mini Mark X rifle out there too in 7.62 x 39.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    I have 3 CZ's, a Redhead Deluxe in 12 gauge, a CZ455 in 22LR, and a 75B in 9mm. A 527 is on my short list. My experiences with the other three have been nothing short of excellent. The quality of CZ in my opinion is extremely high even if they were twice the price. I doubt you'll go wrong with one.

Boolit Master
    The CZ is the classiest, IMO. If you're not gonna attach a quiet-maker, the CZ is worth the scratch.

The Howa barreled action would be my pick if you want to hot-rod with a chassis, but that's not what I grab a 7.62x39 for.

The Ruger is a good action and using Mini 30 mags means you can get a 10 or 20rd mag if you want. As a pseudoscout/ranch rifle it would be my pick, but the stock is hit hot garbage. You can reinforce the stock with some carbon arrow shafts, epoxy, or hopefully there will be some replacements from Boyd's soon, but even with the garbage stock on my 5.56 American Ranch I was able to hit soda cans with a hot bore and 55gr bulk ammo at 100yd as fast as I could aim and fire. Factory threaded barrel means you can brake it or, if you choose, make things quiet. I will say the Ruger is probably the most optics-friendly. I use a set of Warne QD rings with the scope and keep a red dot in the case on a QD mount, and it's fairly easy to swap out and have red dot. IMO the dot is more useful than a post and notch sight anyways.

Have the cz and its my favorite rifle, will be buying the ruger shortly. If I was getting one just for cast though I would go ruger
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Master

I have two of the three you listed.
    The Mini Thirty does real well with jacketed bullets, I haven't found a lot of success with cast.
    The CZ 527 shoots great with everything.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

I have a CZ and really like the set trigger plus the wood is nice. I have a Leupold 2 x 7 and load the NOE 155 gr RN with 14.1 gr of IMR 4227. Love the whole setup.

I have the CZ, really like it. It also has a very fast twist rate but it doesn't seem to hurt anything. Lately I've been shooting it with the NOE 240 gr. Blackout bullet over trailboss, and it's nearly a one hole rifle at 100 yds. The bullet hitting the steel is louder than the report of the rifle. Great fun.

Boolit Master
    I have the CZ and it has a wonderful cast friendly barrel. I wish the Cz 308 had this good of a barrel...

It takes several rounds to break in a CZ... A used gun would be my choice...

I don't think the 8 twist would be too fast . Look at the 300 BO a lot of members here are using cast in those at regular speeds and it's generally 8 twist .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    I've had a Ruger bolt-action I bought new more than twenty-five years ago. I'm not sure on the twist rate, but I think it may be 1 in 10". It shoots a 200 grain bullet (Lyman #314299) with pretty good accuracy, about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" at 100 yards. Muzzle velocity is 1700 fps.

Boolit Master

I own a Ruger Hawkeye Compact in 7.62 x 39, and it shoots jacketed and cast very accurately. Wouldn't sell it for twice the price.

Owning a CZ 527 American in .22 Hornet, I would also say they make an outstanding rifle. After fussing with Rugers and Savages in the Hornet, this rifle beats them on every count.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    I think there is a mini Mark X rifle out there too in 7.62 x 39.
    Yes there is.....that's what my bolt gun 7.62x39 is.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    There was a fellow who used to post photos of targets from his CZ Carbine using cast at 100 yards and getting very small groups where the holes overlapped. If you go with the CZ PM me and I will see if I still have his load data. My experience with CZ products has been routinely excellent.

CENTEX BILL, this is a youth model with a 12.5" pull and 20" lightweight barrel. But for $332.49 shipped using the 5% off discount code "FATHER", I couldn't pass it up.

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/38252

They now have 2 in stock at this time.

Norinco make a 7.62x39 model JW103 called Bisley Bush Ranger which I believe is a copy of the CZ. It is very cast friendly and a 215grain is one hole at 50m with 6.5g w231
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Boolit Master

I recently had a Gunsmith (Goodsteel) re-bore my H&R 300 Black Out to 7.62 x 39 and it's a fantastic shooter now. I enjoy the little carbine and plan on using it for varmints this fall/winter and for general plinking year around. It's compact, light and the recoil is minimal with the 125 Vmax bullets over IMR4198. Going to load some 311041; 311299;311299 and 311359 and see how they perform.

I own both the Ruger Hawkeye and the CZ527 and favor the Ruger. Both are fun guns.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast