Load DataInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much tractor?

Banned
    You can get that NX4510 in a manual transmission with a shuttle shift. I would recommend that you at least look into that option.

Boolit Master
    I did look into a shuttle shift. Every dealer and person I talked to in person that owns a tractor said the HST is the way to go. About 95% of the feedback I got on other forums also said go HST.
    East Tennessee

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    I did look into a shuttle shift. Every dealer and person I talked to in person that owns a tractor said the HST is the way to go. About 95% of the feedback I got on other forums also said go HST.
    As someone that ISN'T trying to sell you the HST on my lot........take another look at the shuttle shift.

Boolit Master
    I revisited the Kioti dealer today. Was quoted $32,500 for the NX4510 HST with FEL and backhoe. It is now my #1 choice. 5 more HP than the Kubota for $4,000 less. Plus I haven’t even tried to negotiate yet.
    45 hp will do anything I need to do. Only negative is will have to buy a heavier duty trailer to move it as it weighs in at 7,100 pounds with FEL and back hoe attached.
    Will you have the tires loaded?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bdicki View Post
    Will you have the tires loaded?
    Not sure. Will have to see how it goes with traction and stability.
    Not buying till fall at the earliest so have time to change my mind about the transmission. Also might upgrade to the 5010 if the price is good enough.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Also decided not to buy a new trailer. Just to much weight and expense. Will pay the dealer to pick it up if service is needed.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    there is nothing wrong with HS,provided its properly specced,as will be anything Kubota......HS does have an hour run limit,about 7000hrs for the smaller quality machines.Look for quality components like Daikin, Sundstrand,Eaton etc.......When HS goes wrong,you cant poke and hope...you must have full test equiptment to find a problem.If a HS component fails,it often wrecks the whole hydro circuit with steel chips,so they can be dear to fix,and very risky secondhand...........grey imports wont get any help from anyone in the industry.

Boolit Master
    Another consideration is resale. If you plan to keep it for as long as you can get in the saddle, bargain brands work but their resale value is going to be less percentage wise than the green or orange. If you plan to use it a few years and sell it you'll get a lot of your money back. I got my Mahindra used for the price of a much smaller less equipped green/orange tractor of similar vintage. I hope I never have to move the Mahendra I have on a trailer. My 7000lb car hauler will not handle it even with everything off of it. Trailer for it would add a few $K to the cost of owning it.

Boolit Master

most dealers have a "play" area, try both style trannys and get a real feel for how they work. I have been messing with tractors most all my life and have used about every brand out there. after using the hst style and seeing how complicated they are to work on (john deere, kubota, et al) I would not have one unless I was very rich and could afford the repair bill that will come at some point. with a good shuttle shift you can load and dig faster. have yet to come across a hst style transmission in construction, only seen them in homeower stuff and some light duty landscape stuff.

Boolit Master
    Easy to spend other people’s money.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    If you are a farmer or rancher way off in the boondocks the last thing you want is some gadget loaded undependable tractor.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    The HST is a lot nicer for loader work the shuttle shift is Ok but the Hydro is nicer.The funny thing is almost all construction equipment is some kind of hydrostatic/hydralic drive.The compact tractor backhoes are light duty if the stumps you are digging are fresh and have any size to them you'll find out.Very few of them'The fact of the matter is very few people are bought by people that use them most are bought by town farmers people that buy a couple acres and become instant farmers.Like it or not look around see who owns them.But what do I know I've only been building roads and farming for 50 years.

Boolit Master

hydraulic driven and hydro-static drives are close but not the same. hydraulic driven has a motor that is easy to swap out when it goes bad, and your right most construction equipment is hydraulic driven but I have yet to ever find a piece of heavy construction or farm equipment that is hydro-static driven, only the real light duty or homeowner versions

Boolit Master
    Joined the Tractorbynet forum and people there are overwhelmingly in favor of HST transmissions for just about all applications except if you are doing a lot of plowing, which I will not. If I have issues that is what the 6 year powertrain warranty is for. I also want my wife to be able to jump on and use it on occasion.

The HST transmission is always in exactly the right gear to develop peak engine torque. The gear ratio can't help but be right because that is the way HST works. It's like a gearbox with an infinite number of gear ratios. And I suspect that the multirange HST trannys are even more efficient. The HST on the Kioti has 3 ranges.
    Last edited by snowwolfe; 06-13-2018 at 08:46 AM.
    East Tennessee

I have no dog in this hunt, but was reading all of the comments, and thought I might be able to give a reasonable opinion. I have owned a 32 horse Kubota 4x4 with a loader, and it was shuttle shift. I did some mowing, bush hogging, grading, food plots with the tiller, as well as most other tasks you can do with a tractor. The 35 horse handled 95 percent of any of the jobs I did with it, and with ease. I sold the tractor and have since bought a Kubota L4060 4x4 with a loader, and have most attachments for the tractor, except a backhoe. I am VERY pleased on the performance of the tractor. I am not a farmer, but it will do EVERYTHING I ask of it.

About the hydrostat transmission, my younger brother had a New Holland 32 horse with a loader and all attachments including a frame mounted backhoe, including a hydrostat transmission. It was a well built tractor, and performed well. The problem with the hydrostat is that you constantly have to either be pushing the pedal forward or backward to be moving. This is a pain when you are bush hogging roads in the deer lease, or grading roads for a mile or two. I personally prefer the shuttle shift. Put the tractor in the gear you want, give her the right amount of throttle, and let her eat. Just my 2 cents and experience.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not"
    Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo1 View Post
    The problem with the hydrostat is that you constantly have to either be pushing the pedal forward or backward to be moving. This is a pain when you are bush hogging roads in the deer lease, or grading roads for a mile or two. I personally prefer the shuttle shift. Put the tractor in the gear you want, give her the right amount of throttle, and let her eat. Just my 2 cents and experience.
    Maybe this is why the nicer tractors have cruise control. I know both the Kubota GrandL4060 and the Kioti NX4510 (which is likely what I will buy) have cruise control standard.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Maybe this is why the nicer tractors have cruise control. I know both the Kubota GrandL4060 and the Kioti NX4510 (which is likely what I will buy) have cruise control standard.
    My L3400 HST has cruise control and 3 ranges.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    hydraulic driven and hydro-static drives are close but not the same. hydraulic driven has a motor that is easy to swap out when it goes bad, and your right most construction equipment is hydraulic driven but I have yet to ever find a piece of heavy construction or farm equipment that is hydro-static driven, only the real light duty or homeowner versions
    Maybe reading this would help https://www.constructionequipment.co...oth-operations or call a Cat,Case or John Deere dealer and ask what transmissions they use then call a Case/IH dealer and ask what the Hydro sticker means on some IH tractors.

Boolit Master

nice article but its all fiction, those equipment all have gears and a forward and reverse selector on the steering wheel, at least the 40 or 50 different models I run all do. the closest any of the big players come to hydro static type is john deere and fendt, both use clutches and gears to allow a more variable speed but they still use gears. a true hydrostatic transmision uses a single foot pedal to either go forward or reverse and the more you push the faster it goes, when you let off the machine stops. here is a video from cat showing their variable speed trany, it is not a hydrostactic drive but does use a hydrostatic system to help the gears. boils down to your definition of a true hydro static drive and for me this is not it.
    https://www.forconstructionpros.com/...-loaders-works

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    nice article but its all fiction, those equipment all have gears and a forward and reverse selector on the steering wheel, at least the 40 or 50 different models I run all do. the closest any of the big players come to hydro static type is john deere and fendt, both use clutches and gears to allow a more variable speed but they still use gears. a true hydrostatic transmision uses a single foot pedal to either go forward or reverse and the more you push the faster it goes, when you let off the machine stops. here is a video from cat showing their variable speed trany, it is not a hydrostactic drive but does use a hydrostatic system to help the gears. boils down to your definition of a true hydro static drive and for me this is not it.
    https://www.forconstructionpros.com/...-loaders-works
    Amazing Komatsu was able to become the second largest manufacturer of construction equipment in the world and they don't even know what transmissions they put in.According to you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast