Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casting over sized bullets

Boolit Mold

Unhappy Casting over sized bullets

I am using a Lee Precision Six Cavity Mold .401" Diameter 175 Grain Truncated Cone with a Lee 4 - 20 furnace. I am running my temperature from 750 - 800 degrees. I casting with wheel weight and averaging 180 - 185 gr weight after casting. Can anyone tell me why I am cast from 180 - 185 gr. bullets in stead of 175 gr?

ADMIN

Might get more of a response if you post in the correct section.

Generally speaking over weight bullets are because of your alloy.
    Lee molds are designed around Lyman #2 alloy.
    If your ratio of lead to antimony/tin is different then your bullet weight may be higher or lower.
    Sounds like you need more tin in your mix and lower your casting temp to 700-750

Btw I am moving this thread to the proper section

Boolit Master
    How big around are they ?

Boolit Master
    Your description sounds like heavy bullets. Over sized would mean the diameter is larger than intended.

The weight of the bullet is dependent upon the alloy your using. The more tin and antimony in the mix the lower the weight. Lead is really heavy and the higher the % of lead the heavier the bullet.

A Listen to Hatch.

B Don't sweat the small stuff.

C Like Hatch I think your a little warm.

D Same as A, Listen to Hatch!

E Bullet FIT is king, not weight. Don't sweat it. Size matters, weight within 10% one way or the other is fine as long as it is fairly consistent. For accuracy you don't want half of them 10 grains over, and the other half 8 grains under.

No I don't weigh my bullets. Cast em, cool em, lube em, load em and shoot em. Let your gun tell you what it likes.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Cast ‘em

Load ‘em

Shoooooooot “em

I would no worry about the size. Your sizing die determines what you load. I do not worry about the drop size. The sizing die determines what what you load!

Banger

Boolit Mold

Thank

Hatch:

Thank you for your response. I am new to the forum I will try to post to correctly.

Dennis

Boolit Mold
    I am talking about heavy bullets.I am using wheel weights for my casting. I was advised to mix the furnace frequently to ensure my mix is good. I am new to this so any help is welcome. Thanks.

Boolit Mold
    I stand corrected they are over weight. I am using wheel weights and I am see 180 - 185 gr. Using the lee 175 grn. mold.

Boolit Mold
    I stand corrected it is not over sized they are over weight.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks. I am getting some good advice here.

Boolit Bub
    Don't worry about the weight,worry about the consistency.Keeping the temps and casting cadence consistent makes for accurate bullets.

Boolit Master
    Try to be precise as possible when holding the mold handles together + count while casting like as soon as the mold is filled start counting at around 15 - 20or so cut the sprue and dump the boolits fill and repeat . As bangerjim told me over and over preheat your mold on a hot plate .

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I have an old H & G mold that the maker used Linotype for the weight of the bullet. Linotype is far to expensive for me to cast bullets these bullets.
    I use hardball or something of a different mix. The bullets weight more than the advertised weight and shoot great. Remember FIT IS KING, all else is secondary.

Boolit Grand Master

You are new to the site - so realize the primary critical measurement is the diameter of the boolit. If the diameter is correct weight is controlled by alloy mix - the greater the percentage of lead in the alloy the heavier the boolit will be. All of the additives to make alloys are lighter than lead.

As long as you are holding your mold closed - and with the Lee six cavity molds that can be a challenge - your diameters should be golden. If they are not, and you are using a six cavity mold, pay attention to the sprue handle, if you inadvertedly hold that it will force the mold slightly open and you get big boolits. I used to wear welding gloves on both hands until I realized that. Now I only wear a glove on my right hand and hold the mold barehanded.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    More tin and antimony will make the bullets lighter and cause the alloy to better fill the cavities resulting in a consistent diameter.

Boolit Master

WW's only have about 1/4 to 1/2 % Sn, and about 3-4% Sb, so is significantly heavier than the Lyman #2 (5% Sn, 5% Sb, 90% Pb). And remember the two most important rules of living:
    A. Don't sweat the small stuff.
    B. It's all small stuff.
    Last edited by Echo; 06-12-2018 at 04:55 PM.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Mold
    Thank you and I have been pre heating on a hot plate.

I would worry more about the 5gr deviation. I rarely see more than 1-2gr max. When using the identical alloy. You say ww alloy but if it includes a lot of stick-on, they are near pure lead, bullet wt goes up.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Bub
    I think "Dont sweat the small stuff" is good advice. I know some make a hobby out of perfection, but I can attest to the fact that my oversized, overweight, strait wheel weight elongated boolits cast by my newbee self will shoot ragged holes at 30 yards out of my 6" 686.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast