MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Loads for 50-95.

Boolit Mold

Loads for 50-95.

Soon to start reloading 50-95 for my Uberti 1876. Thinking of a starting load of 40 grains (by weight) of Blackhorn 209 behind a 350 grain cast bullet. Also considering Trail Boss. Anyone out there tried either of these? If so, what were your loads and how were the results?

I also shoot two Flintlocks so I may try just going with BP. Anyone out there got any wisdom on this to share?

Thanks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridger View Post
    Soon to start reloading 50-95 for my Uberti 1876. Thinking of a starting load of 40 grains (by weight) of Blackhorn 209 behind a 350 grain cast bullet. Also considering Trail Boss. Anyone out there tried either of these? If so, what were your loads and how were the results?

I also shoot two Flintlocks so I may try just going with BP. Anyone out there got any wisdom on this to share?

Thanks
    Bridger
    I have a 45/75 Uberti --wuzgonna do the smokeyless thing - but I started off with black and thats where I am still - mine has a super nice shiney barrel - its a dream to clean with black and it shoots good with it - I did load some duplex at the start (5 grains 4227 under the black) but that was dirty Chinese fireworks powder - make my own BP now and its a clean burn (and cheap!!!) - the barrel is run in - cases formed out - I have just cracked the 1500fps barrier a couple times over the chrony with a 335 grain boolit - pleased I didnt go the smokeyless track at this point - you are a flintlick shooter - this might hit a chord with ya - might not - either way they are a fun gun to play with and nothing else has the looks of a 76.

Boolit Master

IVe had one for quite a few years. They are great rifles. Lots of good loading info here: http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/ind...c,52209.0.html

Boolit Mold
    I'm using 38 grains of A5744 using a 500 grain bullet in my 50-90 Sharps. Email Accurate Arms and ask them. 5744 is wonderful powder especially for large case ammo, will not detonate with small charges and is not sensitive to where it is in the case. Jim

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    We have owned a 50-95 Chappy Repro (4,0xx) for some years. 26" octagon barrel. Normally we fire off cross sticks.
    The 350 grain is a good choice in my opinion as impact at any range is far superior to the 285's.
    The 50-95 is a BP cartridge. Do yourself a favor and fire at least 5 (10 far better) cartridges loaded with 3F (we use Goex) under that 350 to find out the real accuracy potential of your rifle. When you get some 1.5 inch and less groups at 100 yards do not be surprised.
    Also check the velocity of your rifle with those 3F loads. We decided to never exceed those fps with any smokeless load. Our rifle lockup is as tight today as when new. Should last all my life and my sons. Ours averages 1465 fps. If that is not enough "thwap" on target we get out the 50 Alaskan.
    Now try and beat that accuracy with smokeless. 5477 comes close in our rifle but has never beat BP. No other powder we have tried comes close. May try 2400 this time north but we are more than happy with 3F loads.
    Using 3F Goex gives No fouling in the chamber or receiver ever in our rifle. 2F Goex lacks velocity and gives dirty brass, receiver and chamber. We have not needed to buy the "better more expensive" bp as our supply of 3F Goex is still not lacking. If you do your research you can find written info stating 3F was used in the original loading of the "Express Loads".
    Another plus is we shoot 10 shot strings without swabbing. No idea how many rounds we could fire before accuracy drops off. Still have never been attacked by a heard of rampaging groundhogs or racoons. But after 10 rounds the barrel is plenty hot (830 plus grains of 3F generates a lot of heat) and a swabbing cool down works well.
    Happy shooting !
    Mike in ILLinois till November
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Good morning
    We have owned a 50-95 Chappy Repro (4,0xx) for some years. 26" octagon barrel. Normally we fire off cross sticks.
    The 350 grain is a good choice in my opinion as impact at any range is far superior to the 285's.
    The 50-95 is a BP cartridge. Do yourself a favor and fire at least 5 (10 far better) cartridges loaded with 3F (we use Goex) under that 350 to find out the real accuracy potential of your rifle. When you get some 1.5 inch and less groups at 100 yards do not be surprised.
    Also check the velocity of your rifle with those 3F loads. We decided to never exceed those fps with any smokeless load. Our rifle lockup is as tight today as when new. Should last all my life and my sons. Ours averages 1465 fps. If that is not enough "thwap" on target we get out the 50 Alaskan.
    Now try and beat that accuracy with smokeless. 5477 comes close in our rifle but has never beat BP. No other powder we have tried comes close. May try 2400 this time north but we are more than happy with 3F loads.
    Using 3F Goex gives No fouling in the chamber or receiver ever in our rifle. 2F Goex lacks velocity and gives dirty brass, receiver and chamber. We have not needed to buy the "better more expensive" bp as our supply of 3F Goex is still not lacking. If you do your research you can find written info stating 3F was used in the original loading of the "Express Loads".
    Another plus is we shoot 10 shot strings without swabbing. No idea how many rounds we could fire before accuracy drops off. Still have never been attacked by a heard of rampaging groundhogs or racoons. But after 10 rounds the barrel is plenty hot (830 plus grains of 3F generates a lot of heat) and a swabbing cool down works well.
    Happy shooting !
    Mike in ILLinois till November
    Thanks so much for this info.

You have convinced me that I need to take some 3f loads to the range next trip in addition to Blackhorn 209, Trail Boss, and some 5744. I am starting to believe that BP is the way to go here. Seems like those that use BP have no complaints at all regarding accuracy. Those trying to find a smokeless alternative are getting mixed results.

What is you BP load in grains? Sounds like around 80 grains by volume? Do you use any type of wad on top of the charge? Also, I am used to cleaning up BP out of the barrels of my Flintlocks. I am wondering about your cleaning procedure. I am thinking that I will need to clean the barrel in the same manner as my flintlocks and then possibly disassemble the action enough to drop out the cartridge elevator and clean everything up in there. Is this what you do or would recommend?

As soon as I can get to the range (not holding my breath) I will post a full report on my loads and results.

Thanks again!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridger View Post
    Thanks so much for this info.

You have convinced me that I need to take some 3f loads to the range next trip in addition to Blackhorn 209, Trail Boss, and some 5744. I am starting to believe that BP is the way to go here. Seems like those that use BP have no complaints at all regarding accuracy. Those trying to find a smokeless alternative are getting mixed results.

What is you BP load in grains? Sounds like around 80 grains by volume? Do you use any type of wad on top of the charge? Also, I am used to cleaning up BP out of the barrels of my Flintlocks. I am wondering about your cleaning procedure. I am thinking that I will need to clean the barrel in the same manner as my flintlocks and then possibly disassemble the action enough to drop out the cartridge elevator and clean everything up in there. Is this what you do or would recommend?

As soon as I can get to the range (not holding my breath) I will post a full report on my loads and results.

Thanks again!
    Bridger
    FWIW I have had my Uberti three and a half years - shooting it off an on as I feel inclined - straight blackpowder - have not kept track of things as I should - a wild guess says 500 to 700 through it - have not had it apart for cleaning - I took the side plates off two days ago for a little peek in and everything looks ok - the lifter is getting a little spotted from BP residue ( odd little bits of crud that drop from a fired case I think)
    cleaning ? I run water down the barrel from a squeeze bottle with a plastic tube on the spout - then a wet patch - more water - wet patch - maybe again - then dry patch it then oil patch - keep it upside down (belly to the sky) through the whole process - water in the magazine tube is fatal! Plenty oil in the action - have seen no need to pull mine to bits to clean.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    I am in AZ right now working on my mom's estate and will not be back to my load notes for several weeks.
    I think the 3F load was 83 grains with a cereal box wad over the powder.
    But if you do a search here the info was posted with all the load data. I do njot remember the 5477 load but that was posted also.
    Mike normally in ILLinois right now.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.