WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: The magic of a 12fpe springer!

Boolit Master

The magic of a 12fpe springer!

I know there are a lot of new guys asking questions on the forum and getting many answers. I just wanted to make a post about sub 12fpe springers.

I have been shooting air guns for several years and really enjoy it. I started with a RWS 350 magnum in 177. I loved the gun. It shot really hard and had a lot of recoil. Not much movement but very violent. I shot some good off hand groups and some that didn't hit any where close. The gun was extremely hold sensitive.

After a couple more air guns I bought an older 25mm piston HW77. It was shooting @ 10.5 fpe. This gun had no hold sensetivity and shot extremely accurate.

I'm an offhand only shooter and I favor 45yds (distance for air rifle sillhouette rams) the 10.5 fpe gun had no trouble putting down the metal rams. Springers are limited in power by thier design. You can have success with the artillary hold but you will never achieve the consistency a sub 12fpe gun will give you.

I'm currently shooting a TX200 @ 11.5 fpe. Its consistent and accurate @ 45yds.

A Springer shoots better if it's heavy. A walnut stock is well worth the money. Before you chase the FPS of the latest magnum Springer consider choosing a quality Springer and tuning it down to sub 12fpe. They like to be held tight against the shoulder and are easy to cock.

I agree, springers around 12 FPE, particularly in .177, are wonderful to shoot.... less recoil, easy to cock, and all around easier to hit what you are aiming at....

Bob

Boolit Master
    My TX200 is right at 14.5 FPE. I honestly can't see how it would shoot better but I don't doubt you. I am using mine for farm pest control. I have shot 250 Rock Chucks this spring with mine I have seen first hand the power of 14.5 FPE. Chucks are big some get as big as 20 pounds. I have killed a couple that were in the 12 to 14 pound range. I mostly use head shots but lung shots are easy out to 60 yards. I have killed a pile of them at 70 yards. A guy just doesn't need a magnum springer to dispatch varmints.

size 12 boot

In this picture you can see the damage they do to crops.

This is a normal group for me at 20 yards.

Boolit Master
    Feet per Eon? Please define for the unedgmakated.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    Air guns power is measured in FPE Foot Pounds Energy. For comparison a 22 lr is close to 100fpe.

The problem with a Springer is the piston has to start moving causing rearward recoil and then stops causing forward recoil. Both of these happen before the pellet leaves the barrel. 12fpe is just the power level where most heavy quality springers become less or not hold sensetive. The exact power level where this happens may be different for each model Springer.

Tx and newer HW 77/97 have 26mm pistons. Many people prefer the older HW with a 25mm piston. They say the gun has a better cycle. (less recoil=less hold sensetivity).

Boolit Master
    My TX200 is factory around 14 or 15 fpe and I feel that as long as I'm happy with the accuracy give me more vel. especially for the long range shooting of gophers out here. The Brits are stuck at 12 fpe and I think they should fight for the right to shoot at more realistic power levels, without perfect headshots many pests are wounded.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Chucks are good eating. Leather boot laces were made from woodchucks back in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have an older Diana M27; its fpe is only 7, even professionally rebuilt with a new mainspring. It is an extremely smooth shooter and not hold-sensitive at all; I helped set up a friend with a newer M35, and was somewhat disappointed to see that the modern iteration had lost some of those earlier qualities.

Boolit Master
    I just got back into air rifles after 15 years of shooting magnium springers. I bought a Gamo .22 Swarm & love it. I do not know the fpe
    but it does shoot 900 fps with a light pellet & 700 to 800 with heavyer pellets 16 to 14 Grns. These rifles today have come along from what
    I use to shoot. This gun is a break piston rifle, not a true springer thow.

Fly

Boolit Master

Fly

The 14.5 grain pellet at 800 fps gives one about 20 fpe
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!