Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New To Me Ideal 311466

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.

My New To Me Ideal 311466

I finally got a Loverin mould!!! It's a single cavity Ideal 311466. I'm pretty excited. I put it in my Lyman small handles, and didn't care too much about the fit. I tried it in my Lee six cavity handles. The dang thing seems to fit them better. Is there anything I should know that is different(when casting or sizing) about this mould when compared to others with just two or three lube grooves.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

I have a single cavity Lyman 308403, that looks a lot like yours. I only lube the lower portion to avoid making the exposed part of the boolit into a dirt catcher. Seems to work fine. If you are worried about lubing the nose, I would suggest Lee Liquid Alox (LLA) or Ben's liquid lube (BLL). Those Loverin designs with the many grooves look funny today, but for my money they can be extremely accurate, and are as effective as the more "modern" designs.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Moderator Emeritus

I have 3 and wish they were all 4 cavities instead of sc. Run it like a regular mold and take good notes. It should get you decades of use.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    311466 Designed by H. Guy Loverin. Reported very accurate up to 600 yards. A very good game bullet even for the .30-30. (GC, RN, 152 - TP is 467)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	311466_152g.gif 
Views:	448 
Size:	4.4 KB 
ID:	221914

Attach a 30 caliber gas check - lube with a light coating of 50:50 mix of Lee Liquid Alox & pure mineral spirits. Is accurate as the heavier Ideal 311413 out to 600yds
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Thanks! I'm considering having it hollow pointed. I haven't made up my mind yet. I've wanted one(a Loverin mould) since I first read of them. I couldn't believe it when I found this one for $25.00.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master
    I have one and it shoots very well in my 308 all the way out to 400 yards. I just pan lube the whole boolits with Lee "mule snot" without worrying about collection of dirt since they are either in the box to be shot one at a time at the range or they are in the magazine if I am in the field. I recently acquired and old but unused custom Lyman mold of 30 cal. 190 gr in the Loverin style and it shoots even better.

Boolit Master
    I've tried from 16 to 20g of 2400 in my .308 Win Savage mdl 11 with the 311466 sized to .310 and a hardness of Bhn 11 and got lousy groups. What powders and loads are you guys using with this boolit in the .308 Win?
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

I have several Loverin moulds, seems you have to find that sweet spot of mould temp to get good fillout but once you do they cast well.

Moderator Emeritus

Shuz, I use it in the 06 with slow surplus powders, 870 & 860.

Boolit Master
    Shuz - 16.5 gr. 4227, or 21 gr. 4198. .308 or .3006.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Boolit Master
    For a light load, 13.0 grs. of Red Dot is very accurate with the 311466, sized 0.311”, in the .308 Winchester.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Shuz, I use it in the 06 with slow surplus powders, 870 & 860.
    I still have the "stickey" on my window sill that says 56g of WC 860 for the .30-06. How about in the .308 Win?--Shuz

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    For a light load, 13.0 grs. of Red Dot is very accurate with the 311466, sized 0.311”, in the .308 Winchester.
    Since I have plenty of Red Dot, I'll giver a try. By the way, C.E. Ed Harris refers to 13g of Red Dot as "The Load" for the .308Win.
    Thanks for sharing this info--Shuz

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    I've tried from 16 to 20g of 2400 in my .308 Win Savage mdl 11 with the 311466 sized to .310 and a hardness of Bhn 11 and got lousy groups. What powders and loads are you guys using with this boolit in the .308 Win?
    Shuz

You might try again with a dacron filler......that's what works for me with the 311466 and 30 XCB in my 308Ws.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Re "The Load," Here's some information + updates: https://castbulletassoc.org/forum/th...ns-of-red-dot/

Boolit Master
    I have a single cavity 311466 mold that is a factory hollow point. I use it in my 10 inch 30 herritt.It works real good on Armadillo and groundhogs.

Boolit Master
    I have two 308's with the same twist but different makers and barrel lengths. One loves 19 gr of 2400 with that boolit shooting sub MOA when my eyes and shaky hands are having a good day and the other prefers 21 gr of 5744 with 180-190's but doesn't like either the 150-160's or the 2400. As always, every barrel has a personality with CB's to be discovered. None of these loads have required a filler for accuracy in their respective barrels in my case.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TCFAN View Post
    I have a single cavity 311466 mold that is a factory hollow point. I use it in my 10 inch 30 herritt.It works real good on Armadillo and groundhogs.
    My wife does real well fixing the ground hogs for supper, and we are now getting a lot of those armadillo around here to. Can you give us your recipe for fixing armadillo?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    My wife does real well fixing the ground hogs for supper, and we are now getting a lot of those armadillo around here to. Can you give us your recipe for fixing armadillo?
    Both are left where the fall..The Coyotes seem to like both well enough that the dead grounghogs and armadillos are gone over night.

Moderator Emeritus

I still have the "stickey" on my window sill that says 56g of WC 860 for the .30-06. How about in the .308 Win?--Shuz
    Embarrassed to say I have never tried it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast