Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: What are the advantages of a brass vs aluminum mold?

Boolit Buddy

What are the advantages of a brass vs aluminum mold?

So, I've seen many threads on different mold materials, but most of the comments refer to "features" not "benefits".

• Brass is heavier
    • Brass takes longer to heat up
    • Once it is up to temperature, brass doesn't cool down as fast
    • Aluminum is cheaper
    • Aluminum is lighter

But none seem to answer the "why". Brass is heavier and more expensive- so what's the real advantage in churning out bullets? Is there one? Does brass tend to release the bullets easier? Because of its ability to retain heat, does brass cause less voids? Speed? Consistency?

Or is there no real benefit and it is all in the eye of the beholder?

Boolit Master
    Better thermal stability. Your cadence my not be as critical with a brass mold but I'd concentrate more on design than material. You'll decide for yourself which is "best" after you try each.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

weight of brass has caused me to stay with Al molds
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

I would say it’s ablity to hold and displace heat, it’s kind of right in the middle between steel and aluminum. My steel molds take forever too cool off if I get them too hot my aluminum ones get too hot too quick and my one brass mold casts like a freaking dream. As fast as the boolits drop I load her back up. Heck for my 45 I haven’t touched any other molds other than my brass one in the last year cuz it runs so darn well. Also brass is more durable than AL so if you drop it or something silly by accident it donesnt get beat up as easy.

Banned

sutherpride59 hit it on the head. Brass holds heat so mold temps tend to not go up and down as much while casting and its MUCH more durable then aluminum. Personaly my favorite molds hands down are quality steel molds like ballistic cast and H&G but give me brass any day over aluminum.

Boolit Master
    I have a few brass moulds and they are the sweetest casting moulds I have. I have a couple that were recently made and they blocks are as large as aluminum moulds nowadays. They are very heavy, but drop out perfect bullets every time. I have several old ones that are much smaller in block size. They cast well and are not nearly as heavy. That is how they should be made.

Boolit Grand Master
    Brass mold with lead bolts get heavy after a while. Particularly with several cavities. The cast great boolits though.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin