Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationPBcastcoTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Determining smelting fume direction

Boolit Mold

Determining smelting fume direction

I was smelting about 10 lbs of wheel weights outside today. There was a very slight breeze, but I could not determine its direction nor could I see any fumes/smoke coming off my molten metal other than a couple of minutes where I was fluxing it.

I quit smoking many years ago, so that is not an option. Next thing that came to my mind was perhaps getting some incense to burn and smoke next to the smelting pan/pot so I can see the smoke direction. A fan does not strike me as a good plan if I cannot determine the light and changing breeze direction.

Anyone have a better idea?

TIA

Render your lead on a windy day??? Sorry, I couldn't help it. Just kidding you..

Denny

Boolit Mold
    I could wait for the next hurricane here in CT, but I'll be waiting for a long time and they say pouring rain isn't the best weather for dealing with molten lead.

Boolit Grand Master

Buy or make a small wind vane....set it near your smelting rig and it will point which way the wind is blowing.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Light a match.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    dangle some surveyors tape.

Boolit Master

Put some beeswax in the melt, it'll smoke.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Just stand up-wind of your smoking stinking re-melting pot. Easy to do. If the wind shifts, move your carcass. I do it all the time.

Most people have enough trouble keeping their re-melt temps up without adding a fan!!!!!!!!

I quit re-melting smelly stinky greasy old wheel weights years ago when they hit 60%Zn. But fluxing with pine sawdust in the re-melting pot (normally alloy and lead sheets) and reducing with beeswax in my casting pots (pure ingots ONLY) does create smoke. I love the smell of beeswax!

Have fun melting Pb.

Bangerjim

I've found that it doesn't matter where I stand, the smoke always comes towards me!!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Buy or make a small wind vane....set it near your smelting rig and it will point which way the wind is blowing.
    Interesting. Perhaps a short piece of very light yarn stuck on the end of a something like coat hanger wire a foot or two above the smelting pan. Thanks.

Spider web silk would be perfect if I could see it.

I throw stuff in and walk away until the smoke stops. Throw in some sawdust and bees wax. Light and stir for a bit. Walk away til.the smoke stops. Skim and cast.

Boolit Master

If there is no smoke to be seen than what are you trying to avoid? Sounds like you are making something out of nothing. IMHO. I have melted a few pots of WW in my time, and if there is something to avoid you will know it. It's not like there is poisonous invisible gas coming from the Wheelweights.

Boolit Master
    What difference does it make? If the fumes and smoke are blowing in your face you can move.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Like we have covered ad-nauseum on many threads...............there are NO lead fumes! We melt/re-melt Pb/alloys at around 700F or so.....it BOILS at 3,180°F which creates fumes (lead steam).

All the smoke and stink are from your dirty wheel weights, range carp, and fluxes. Just move out of the way and don't breathe it.

Problem solved.

Boolit Master
    601s, if you are going to smelt, get a mask, preferably full face with activated carbon filters and a fan to direct the vapors away from you. Lead does not have to boil to emit harmful vapors. The contaminants in the mix can vaporize well below the melting point of lead and carry lead dust with the vapor. This vapor can deposit lead dust on you and a large surrounding area. Additionally, you don't know what other harmful contaminants are in this vapor.

Make sure you have no children in the area when handling lead as they are a 10 times greater risk than you for lead poisoning. The area you choose for your hobby unless thoroughly cleaned and tested will most likely remain contaminated with lead dust. After handling lead do not make physical contact with children until you are clean as lead dust can be transmitted from you, your clothing or your shoes and tracked into an otherwise clean area.

I have performed lead wipe tests on shooting tables with 50 foot backstops and found them highly contaminated with lead dust, so the dust can be carried.

Casting is a good hobby, but when handling lead learn do it safely, because the damage from lead poisoning to a child can be permanent.

In Remembrance

About the cheapest and yet one of the most reliable wind direction indicators is a strip (about 5 or 6" long) of ordinary toilet paper tied to a stick that is jammed in the ground by the pot. Been using this indicator for years.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    I've found that it doesn't matter where I stand, the smoke always comes towards me!!
    Happens every time ! I think this has been proven scientifically around campfires every time cub scout's and dad's roast marshmallows and hot dogs .....
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    About the cheapest and yet one of the most reliable wind direction indicators is a strip (about 5 or 6" long) of ordinary toilet paper tied to a stick that is jammed in the ground by the pot. Been using this indicator for years.Robert

Easy, cheap, effective. I like it.

Cassette tape is what cataraman sailors use, slightest breeze will move it. I use a cartridge type resperator when smelting and fluxing.
    hc18flyer

i'm smelting outdoor at the edge of the bush in the summer and sometimes under the 2nd level balcony (to avoid snowflakes landing in my pot lol) in winter time when it's not too cold.

in the summer on a nice warm day the wind is practically non existent,so quite predictable and i can escape the fumes by just moving a little around the pot.winter gets me another game, wind is more prevalent and change direction all the time,then i'm wearing a 7503 mask with P100 filters to avoid the harmfull fumes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast