RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersPBcastcoLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sentry Safe will not open - ideas plz

Now that you have it open, what was the problem? What prevented it from opening?

Boolit Grand Master

Just like most things you pay for what you get. You’re going to spend hundreds for a padlock if you want security. Check out this site and then look at their prices: https://www.mul-t-lock.com/en-us/sit...lock/for-home/

Boolit Master
    I would have trouble believing that any residential security container that weighed less than 1,000 lbs or had less than 1/8" plate on any side could inspire a feeling of security or confidence.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Now that you have it open, what was the problem? What prevented it from opening?
    It has a few horizontal bolts that provide the locking. One of the bolts was no longer retracting when turning the handle. Whatever the connection that provides the force to retract had become loose.

Boolit Buddy
    It has a few horizontal bolts that provide the locking. One of the bolts was no longer retracting when turning the handle. Whatever the connection that provides the force to retract had become loose.
    Exact same problem I had.

Boolit Master

Look most safes the average person can get are really only good as fire safes to some extent. If you want a real safe to keep things in it will set you back at least $15,000 is what my locksmith told me and he should know he has a huge business of being a locksmith and works on real safes up to what banks use and decades of doing this work as his dad started the business and he just tagged along until one day his dad told him it was time he tried and he has been doing such ever since
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PB234 View Post
    Yes, I had a safe tech come over this morning. It took him about one minute to pop it open. It says much about the security presented by Sentry Safe Company products.

He popped it open with a pry bar and a screw driver while it was verticle.

It cost a lot for less than a minute of work, but he also gets paid for the time to get to and from the job site which I think is fair. The firm he works for also deserves to make some money.

Everything was removed and relocated. Nothing was damaged. I view it as successful. I could do it myself if it happened again, but it will not since Sentry products are not on my shopping list ever again.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help. The quick help I received here made my ability to decide how to get this accomplished much easier.
    So not to gloat but what I said back in post #10 about those things being far weaker than most people think.........

Boolit Grand Master

Like a dime store lock on the outside door. I'll keep toddlers out.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

What's the alternative? Tuck the long guns behind the coats in the closet and the pistols in the sock drawer?

WoW.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    What's the alternative? Tuck the long guns behind the coats in the closet and the pistols in the sock drawer?

WoW.
    The alternative is a better safe

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    The alternative is a better safe
    I thought the argument was, 'Safe' or 'Residential Security Container'. I believe a gun-sized true Safe is beyond the financial means of most on here, or so it is for myself, so I do as best I can. Which means a Residential Security Container in my situation.

YMMV.

Moderator Emeritus
    The other problem is that no safe really provides any security. If the bad guy says “Open it or I will shoot your wife/son/daughter/dog”, what are you going to do? I would open it and hope that nothing bad happens.

I think the best option is a relatively good security container and insurance.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    The other problem is that no safe really provides any security. If the bad guy says “Open it or I will shoot your wife/son/daughter/dog”, what are you going to do? ............
    Well, Son/daughter/dog certainly ....wife ??? Are going to shoot her in the house or will you at least take her outside?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    PB234 - call Sentry before any butchering of the safe. My guess is one or more long arms have 'settled' on the door and are blocking one or more of the bolts on the door ... so, tilt the safe backwards, slid a 2x4 under the front to keep it tilted and then run the combination to see if opens
    Last edited by John Boy; 07-16-2018 at 11:01 PM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    John Boy, go back and read post #32; he got it open.

Still more than the vast majority can afford but, Superior Safe has an honest to goodness "class B" 35 gun safe for $5,000. While still not a bank vault, rated by insurance companies as an actual "safe"; not RSC.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."

Boolit Master
    Battery powered angle grinders with quality thin discs.............the lowlifes key to anywhere or anything,that aint concrete 1 ft thick.

Boolit Master
    Much like good fences make good neighbors, Safes and locks only keep honest people honest.

Boolit Grand Master

SAFE is just a feeling like the pride you get for the money you spent. It has very little to do with keeping determined thieves from your valuables. The cheapest locked box will keep curious little fingers away.
    Good insurance is money better spent.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Nothing is totally secure.

What a $5,000 dollar safe buys you over a $2,000 RSC is, it's highly unlikely to be pried open and it will hopefully take another hour (give or take) to grind open a big enough hatch to get to everything. It also might save several more guns in a house fire.

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Well had this conversation years ago with insurance agent and his take was you can defeat any of them with certain tools most of us have in house shop or garage or they bring , so it is mostly for protection from kids , smash and grabs and to satisfy peoples phobia about unlocked guns . Better to invest in camera and other security .
    And yes I have 2 so called fire and theft proof devices , a little fear and paranoia on the part of those who may know you have firearms goes a long way.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast