Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sentry Safe will not open - ideas plz

Boolit Master
    No, I am waiting to tomorrow to call Sentry with the serial number and ask where the bolts are. If I can get this then I have two locksmiths who say they have expertise with safes. One sort of laughed at a Sentry and said the tech could open it quick. The other mentions drilling the wall to push the bolts back in which if successful and done with the safe vertical seems a safe way to open it without damaging the contents.

I am taking a bit of time to investigate the locksmiths' ideas rather than rush in and risk unnecessary damage.

Boolit Buddy
    I had a problem with mine a few years ago where the bar that holds the pins came a little loose and was at an angle. This was on the vertical side of the safe where the door opens. The result was that while the lowest pin retracted enough the upper pin was still holding the door closed. I played with a few flexible pieces of plastic and cardboard trying to get between the middle pin and the door frame and was finally able to push the middle pin in just a hair. This took the upper pin with it and I was able to open the door. A few minutes of straightening and tighten the bar with the pins and it's been good as new.

Too bad you can't gentle set it on its side with the hinges down. Then juggle the bolt handle while turning it. Sounds like the bolts would retract that way.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    I am guessing that because it is jammed full there is some pressure against the door from the inside creating too much friction on the bolts to have them slide because of gravity. Laying it on its side and bumping it up and down was a suggestion from a locksmith; however each bump is another opportunity for a scratched stock. It is one option used as a series of options to get this open and on its way to the trash pile.

Thank you for your interest and help.

Boolit Grand Master

A nibbler will open the sides or back allowing you to empty it. The name "SAFE" is a joke. Their only made to keep little fingers and eyes from danger.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Most safes are built with some free play in the door. With the door locked it might have 1/16 - 1/8" of in and out movement. If it is that full you could just lean hard into the door while turning the handle but I'd guess that was tried already. Are the all the covers on the door in place so nothing should have fell towards the door therefore blocking the bolt work? Your are on the right track having some one open it if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    What I have been trying to do is to gain from others' expertise here so that I am better informed and make a better decision hiring the correct "safe cracker" to open this for me.

I think I have found the correct firm to open it. They hesitate calling to the Sentry as a safe as it is not secure as mentioned by many here. Their first comment is they would just grind off a wall and be done with it. When told of my fear of the sparks hurting stocks they said they would drill it where the bolts are and push them back into the door and it that did not work they would pry open the door.

When asked how they would find the bolts they commented about running a bit of plastic or cardboard along the slot where the door meets the box which is like advice given on this forum (thank you). If it doesn't open by pushing the bolts or prying open the door my next step will be to find someone who is comfortable with a nibbler and cut away a wall.

I have the model number of the Sentry and will call Sentry tomorrow asking it they can describe where the bolts are.

That is where I am at. One of these approaches should work.

Thank you to everyone for the help.

Boolit Master
    Just a little bit of trivia...

If all sides have a minimum 1/4" thick steel plate (not cumulative), it's a "safe". Less than 1/4" thick plate and it is a "Residential Security Container".

I'm wondering, if all your stocks are at or toward the bottom of the safe (RSC), might it be safe enough to grind a small section of the top and pry that flap back?
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    Top top has a shelf for handguns. It is stuffed full. If not the advice received here about taking the top off and emptying it would be excellent.

Thanks for your interest. My plan it to get it taken care of next week.

Boolit Master
    Just got off the phone with Sentry customer service which was a very disappointing call. Their suggestion was to push on the door while moving the handle. That was about it from them.

Boolit Master

I bet a locksmith can get it open.

Will cost depending where you are.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    I bet a locksmith can get it open.

Will cost depending where you are.
    Yes, I had a safe tech come over this morning. It took him about one minute to pop it open. It says much about the security presented by Sentry Safe Company products.

He popped it open with a pry bar and a screw driver while it was verticle.

It cost a lot for less than a minute of work, but he also gets paid for the time to get to and from the job site which I think is fair. The firm he works for also deserves to make some money.

Everything was removed and relocated. Nothing was damaged. I view it as successful. I could do it myself if it happened again, but it will not since Sentry products are not on my shopping list ever again.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help. The quick help I received here made my ability to decide how to get this accomplished much easier.

Boolit Master
    Glad you had a satisfactory resolution to the problem.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Vendor Sponsor

PB234 .. it might have been slightly expensive just to open the door.
    You seeing how easy it is to actually open a Sentry "safe" was ..How they say "PRICELESS"
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    If you think that's bad.... Buy a $30 set of lockpicks and practice for a few hours. Warning: it'll cost you hundreds in decent locks once you realize how easy your average door knob from Menards is to pick. And master locks, well, they don't deserve the name. I can open every one of mine in seconds. Toughest lock I have is a pistol slide lock from Ruger. Still only takes a couple minutes.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Smoke4320, it is scary to think people believe a Sentry box will provide any security from a thief with just a bit of stamina or experience. If I had any idea of how insubstantial it was it would have made its way to the junk pile long ago.

sureYnot, I have watched some YouTube videos where people show how easy it is to pick common locks. Your comments about Master Locks is interesting and will send me off to YouTube to watch it being done.

There is a interesting video by the fellow who does Forgotten Weapons showing how to make it harder to pick common locks.

Boolit Master
    sureYnot - any suggestions for decent locks? Hundreds of dollars is cheaper than being robbed.

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy
    You may have to buy a commercial lock or go to a locksmith if you don't have the know how to swap out driver pins. What you want is mushroom or spool driver pins. Unless you have way better stuff than all your neighbors these things are a big enough pain for most folks to move on to an easier target. They can be defeated but are MUCH harder. Anybody with the dedication to reach that skill level is probably doing cooler stuff than breaking into random houses.

Boolit Buddy
    Lol. Yeah, they suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by PB234 View Post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast