Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sentry Safe will not open - ideas plz

Boolit Master

Sentry Safe will not open - ideas plz

I have a Sentry combination dial safe where the dial turns and after entering the combination the handle will turn, but it does not seem to be retracting some or all of the bolts allowing the door to open. I don't care about the safe, but want to get some contents out of it without damage to the contents. This safe is going into the trash after the contents are removed.

Will be seeking a locksmith, but ask for knowledge to have more insight if the locksmith knows what he is doing before I select one to help.

Some say one can grind off a wall and some say the way is to drill into the safe walls and push the bolts in.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Boolit Master

Search the model on YouTube, there are a bunch of videos showing ways to crack most models.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    Thank you I looked on YouTube and saw videos showing locksmiths cracking Sentry Safes in less than 10 minutes either by prying the door open or grinding off a wall. Spoke to three locksmiths and found one that was not trying to take advantage of me so I hope I am set.

Boolit Master

I had the same problem with my Sentry safe. Mine served its purpose for over 12 years, but in all honesty, they're not secure enough for firearms.

Good friend of mine pried mine open in 3 minutes, then I scrapped the steel to another friend. Sorry, looks like we're BOTH looking for replacements.

BTW, you can order a new safe, from Tractor Supply, who normally includes free delivery and set up. Just food for thought.

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Boolit Buddy
    Cut the side or back off

If you are worried about the contents being damaged by sparks from a cutting wheel on an angle grinder then pick up a nibbler (air or drill powered)
    The nibbler will be slower but you won't take a chance of damaging anything with the wheel or sparks

Vendor Sponsor

Sawzall ---- NO Sparks. ----
    These things are sheetmetal. Cut the top off which is away from the contents enough.

OR

Does not sound like metal tools are your thing but an air chisel set has a tip that opens up sheet-metal like the old spam cans opened, with the 1/4" curl of metal rolling up from the center of the cut. When I was a fireman we used them to cut into cars ....FAST! An air chisel and compressor would have you in it easy.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

if its got sheetrock inside for fireproofing, an angle grinder will cut right thru the steel without going the the sheetrock with minimal care. after the can is opened just cut a hole in the rock with a knife and carefully pull guns thru hole.

Boolit Master
    A friend just went through this with his, a pin or set screw in the dial backed out and left the dial freewheeling. You weren't really entering the combination when you turned the dial. He sawsalled his open.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    A friend just went through this with his, a pin or set screw in the dial backed out and left the dial freewheeling. You weren't really entering the combination when you turned the dial. He sawsalled his open.
    Couldn't you just reset the pin?
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Banned
    If you don't care about the safe and you can lay it on its back; pry the door open.
    It will take less than 60 seconds. You don't need grinders, sawzall's, etc.
    Drive something between the door and body (like a splitting wedge or maul head) get a long pry bar in the gap and force it open. You may need to pin the safe against something and have a helper stand on the safe while prying but it will take longer to gather the tools than to force it open.
    Those things are FAR weaker than most people realize.

THEN, empty the safe, throw it away and get a real safe. Sell some guns if you must. BOLT the new safe to the floor and walls. If you can get a safe on its back, you're 90% of the way to getting it open by force.

Boolit Master

dont lay a safe on its back if you care about its contents, guarantee everything will bounce off of everything else inside it.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    dont lay a safe on its back if you care about its contents, guarantee everything will bounce off of everything else inside it.
    That is my thought too!
    Speed opening it is not the goal. Getting the contents out safely with out putting one mark on my firearms is. Removing the top with out heat and just throwing away the junk safe when done is the way to go.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Here is where I am at so far. The safe is fully packed. The top has a shelf and it is packed too.

One locksmith suggests drilling the wall (1/4 inch holes) where the bolts are and then pushing them back into the door. The advantage seems to be the contents not being disturbed and the wood stocks not being damaged.

Another approach that seems it should work is to pry off the door while the safe remains vertical as seen on a YouTube video where it took a pro a handful of minutes to do so. Again the contents would not be disturbed. www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaBTGCyPNr4

My goal is to get the contents out without damage. The safe is going into the trash.

Thank you to everyine for your help.
    Last edited by PB234; 06-09-2018 at 11:47 AM.

Here's how to open an electronically locked Sentry safe. No damage to the safe, and it took less than a minute. The video is only 2:31 minutes long. He uses a metal shim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D33T4GOtB-U

This guy opens an electronic Sentry with a magnet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN90RTwXX5E

These guys opened a $1000 gun safe in under two minutes using pry bars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RlwGkO0hxE

Banned

"These guys opened a $1000 gun safe in under two minutes using pry bars."

That is not an Underwriters Laboratories safe, it is UL "Residential Security Container." Early on in the video, there is a close-up of the UL certification label.
    UL RSC, not a UL safe

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PB234 View Post
    Here is where I am at so far. The safe is fully packed. The top has a shelf and it is packed too.

One locksmith suggests drilling the wall (1/4 inch holes) where the bolts are and then pushing them back into the door. The advantage seems to be the contents not being disturbed and the wood stocks not being damaged.

Another approach that seems it should work is to pry off the door while the safe remains vertical as seen on a YouTube video where it took a pro a handful of minutes to do so. Again the contents would not be disturbed. www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaBTGCyPNr4

My goal is to get the contents out without damage. The safe is going into the trash.

Thank you to everyine for your help.
    I don't think you need to throw the safe on its back. I would just gently lay it down.

However, if you want to try and pry the door open vertically, have at it.

I REALLY think you'll be surprised how weak those things actually are.

Drilling the edge and pushing the bolts in will work if you know where the bolts are. Sometimes a thin piece of cardboard slipped inbetween the door and frame can help find the bolts.

I honestly don't believe this is going to be as difficult as you think it is.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 06-09-2018 at 04:28 PM.

Boolit Master

id agree the average home safe isnt that strong, but you lay one on its back, and you will have damaged guns inside.

JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    Thank you; however the safe has a dial rather than an electronic control.

Boolit Grand Master

Have you gotten the safe open yet ?
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast