Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data

Thread: 45-70 Trapdoor

45-70 Trapdoor

Just picked up a 1873 Trapdoor and loaded some RL-7 and Varget with Lyman minumum loads. Found 1 pound of H4198 in back of the closet. What powder do you prefer with a lead 405 grn FP bullet?

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm partial to 3031 but, of late, have been using RL-7. 4198 works pretty good, too.

Boolit Grand Master

Olde Ensford or Swiss 1 1/2F black powder

I use IMR4198 with the 405 grain HB Lee bullet in mine with good success. The same load shoots even better in my Danish Rolling Block in 11.4mm ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

725, the rounds that I loaded with RL-7 (37.0) were around 1530' second. After 15 to 18 rounds I had enough. That was the starting point with the reloading data. I found that the Varget was much easier to shoot but those were only around 1260' second.
    Where are you starting off with the RL-7?

Just loaded 25 with 29.0 gns of H4198. My guess it is around 1350' second.

I am not used to shooting out of such a long barrel. The other 45-70s that I have are a Marlin and Ruger #1 carbine.

SIDENOTE to thread. I was shooting high at 100 yards and even at 300. Was told that the sights that came on the Trapdoor were sighted in between 250 and 300 yards and a velocity around 1350' second. That is with the sights flat and not raised. After looking at the sight, it appears that they will range out to 2,000 yards. Am I correct?

thanks,

Boolit Mold
    If you can find it 4759 loves the 45 70 and the lee 405hb boolit. Check out j s and pat wolfs book for great info on the trapdoor.

Boolit Master

From Memory ....don't have the Lyman book handy , but I think this is a Trap Door safe load

But I like 10 gr of Unique

I use it in the BFR , Handy Rifle , Contender Pistol and a bolt action rifle I had built

Simple , easy to shoot

BUT in no way a high speed load LOL

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    Agree with Johnch. Have shot a lot of 10 to 12 grain loads of Unique under 405 grn. boolits in an original 45-70 trapdoor.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

I have had good results with 4198.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    My most accurate loads out of the 45-70 are with Rel 7 @ 32.5g and 4198 @ 32.0g. Both will shoot very, very accurately out of my High Wall. These are very mild loads, but kill deer with authority. Easy on my end. Groups were shot at a measured 114 yards (my deck to berm).

Attachment 222710

Boolit Buddy
    Nice shooting NSB. Would you mind sharing more details? Curious about the boolit. I have an 1886 Winchester coming and am trying to figure out a mold.

Boolit Buddy
    13 grs unique in my trapdoor. Damp 100 yd berm had BIG boolit impact holes in it. Easy on the shoulder. Around 1200 fps in 32" barrel.

Boolit Bub
    Yup. Keep it simple. 10-12 grainz Unique.... All day long.