Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting into duct seal

Boolit Man
    The Sierra 170gr JHC .41 bullet has been called tough, I put one through a small deer at the diaphragm. Didn't blow a big exit hole, but it didn't expand and stop in whatever amount of fluids it met. 14.5gr of 800x gets that bullet 1550-1600fps in handguns with 6.5-7" barrels, I did not check the load in the 10" T/C Contender barrel I used for that deer, but it had to be moving pretty quick. I also shot a somewhat larger doe with that bullet, but the angle from my tree stand was steeper than I allowed and she ran off a short distance and laid down. I had to creep up and shoot her in the neck to finish that one. The original shot raked the ribs low behind her foreleg, I don't think any bullet would have been a good killer with that shot. If the light .44 version of that bullet is constructed similarly I'd use it.

I've used .41's from Sierra, Speer and Hornady on deer, will carry cast until I get another chance with a handgun.

Boolit Master
    I’ve seen duct tape used on vehicles dented fenders. Maybe duct seal could be used to patch boolit holes in cars. Ar! Ar! Ar!

Boolit Man
    I wasn't familiar with duct seal so I had to look it up. At the retail prices I saw ($24/lb) it seems pricey to make decent size block. Maybe an HVAC supply house for a bulk price?

Quote Originally Posted by jim 44-40 View Post
    I forgot it was duct deer I shot intoAttachment 221814
    Bigger than the rack on my first deer, Jim44-40

If you shoot different bullets into the same medium, it will give you an idea of what each bullet will do when it encounters the same resistance, elasticity, hydrostatic effect, etc. Whether that translates to real world performance on a living target is still up for debate, even by the professionals.
    Great advice, Fred. I've used our swimming pool over the years (when my wife isn't home) to test various bullets in an 'equal' medium. Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rodfac View Post
    Great advice, Fred. I've used our swimming pool over the years (when my wife isn't home) to test various bullets in an 'equal' medium. Rod
    I think doing it when the wife isn't present shows good common sense and a lot of discretion........

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Mold
    If it doesn't deform in duct seal, it won't in water or deer. The bullets seem to be more supported in duct seal than in other media- the weight retention might be better then in reality.

I like duct seal for the first impression of handgun rounds up to 44 Mag.

Never shot a rifle into it, bunt want to give it a try. Any experiences?

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk
    Last edited by riffer; 06-13-2018 at 07:30 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

One of the advantages of duct seal was the bullets wound channel didn't close up it was visible and retained it shape. Wet newsprint had this to an extent also. Water nd gels close up quickly and may re seal to the point the wound channel is hard to see. Suposedly duct seal wasn't as tmp sensitive as gels were also for good results also.

Boolit Mold
    Gallery Load testing with the 30-06. Left was at 1066 fps, the one on the right 381 fps. I'm shure in wet paper they would have looked the same...

Bullet is a H&N .308 TC HS 165gr

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12