Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best factory target trigger on a sub $600(ish) pistol?

Boolit Master

Best factory target trigger on a sub $600(ish) pistol?

I love the trigger on my Ruger Target 22/45 for target shooting, but I'm generally disappointed with the larger caliber plastic wonder triggers when it comes to longer range target work. Are any of the mainstream production pistols know for having exceptional target worthy triggers? Can't say for sure, but short take up seems to make a trigger feel better to me (I love shooting revolvers in single action), which is probably not consitant with lawyer triggers on pistols intended for SD carry, but I thought I'd throw it out there and see what y'all thought...

Boolit Master
    Check out the Walther PPQ line, they have one of the best factory triggers.

Boolit Master
    I really like my Ruger American Compact. So much so I am in the market for the full size model in 45.

Boolit Buddy

If you are interested in aftermarket at all, I love the APEX trigger I put in my M&P 40.

Boolit Master

If by "target worthy", you mean to go and shoot a Bullseye match with it, in that price range you're looking primarily at combat market guns, and those are going to have enough variability from pistol to pistol that you'd want to try a couple - even from the same source.

I'd be starting with the Rock Island 1911's.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master

Out of the Box:

Used quality 1911 for SA semi auto

Walther PPQ and Sig 320 for striker fired

Used Smith or Dan Wesson for DA revolver

Used Freedom Arms if you’re lucky to find one for $600 for SA revolver

Browning Buckmart for 22 semiauto

Boolit Grand Master

Comparing a double action trigger to a single actions trigger is comparing apples to oranges. The 1911, Ruger 22 autos and some others are single action triggers meaning they fire the pistol only it has to be cocked manually before firing. The current group of double action pistols the trigger cocks the striker or hammer and then fires it making for a longer pull and heavier pull since its also working against the mainspring. The ruger black hawk and Colt saa can have some very nice trigger pulls. A smith or colt revolver with the hammer cocked have a short crisp release also but the double action coking and releasing trigger pulls are much longer and heavier.
    For really nice trigger pulls pick up a pre war S&W and feel its single action pull. It was good when new and years of use have smoothed it even more. Same goes for older 1911s. The use smooths them out to being a very nice trigger.
    For semi autos the 1911 though over you price range, the ruger 22 autos, Black Hawks and single sixes. The various double actions if thumb cocked before. S&Ws most if pre cocked are good.

Boolit Master
    There are plenty of nice used 1911's in you price range along with S&W revolvers or a Ruger GP100

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    PPQs have good triggers? Hmmm. Back when they outlawed foreign import of Walther PPKs, friends' mom bought a PPK/S and I was definitely very impressed with just HOW bad that trigger was. She couldn't fire it DA, I have huge strong hands and I'd have estimated that trigger at 40# NIB. Pretty UGLY when you opened it up, burrs and all the bad things you DON'T want inside, as it came from the factory. Gunsmith cleaned it right up, but I was not impressed at the price point of that gun; It does sound like they've not gotten their head back in line with minor sanity tho - Good! (She wanted it because "James Bond", which was why she bought it; Not sure if she still has it or not though.)

Banned

going to be tough to beat your 22/45 for anywhere near the money.

Banned
    If I'm reading the OP's question right, I would say this needs to be broken down into a few more categories.

I gather we're talking about handguns chambered in something larger than .22 ?
    I also get the sense that the OP is asking about a gun that is suitable for SD and not a dedicated target gun but still has a decent trigger?
    And the OP says "Pistol", which to me is not a revolver.

The first thing that comes to mind is any number of the 1911 style pistols. The $600 limit will probably require a used 1911 style gun but that's not a problem; there are plenty of good ones out there.

I have a Star Super B that shoots very well and was way below $600 but it needed some work before it was an acceptable pistol.

If it must be a new pistol, the $600 ceiling is going to shut the door on a lot of possibilities but if it can be a used pistol, there's a lot out there. Same applies to revolvers. A good used DA revolver can be a SD tool and be a good target gun as well. It's hard to beat a 4" 38 Special DA revolver as an "all around" handgun.

If you get into any of the striker fired pistols, the triggers get a little unusual. That doesn't mean the guns are inaccurate. I think a lot of people obsess about "good triggers". No trigger in the world will compensate for poor shooting skills. A lot of bad marksmanship is blamed on the trigger when in fact it's the shooter.
    There's more to shooting accurately than having a good trigger.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    PPQs have good triggers? Hmmm. Back when they outlawed foreign import of Walther PPKs, friends' mom bought a PPK/S and I was definitely very impressed with just HOW bad that trigger was. She couldn't fire it DA, I have huge strong hands and I'd have estimated that trigger at 40# NIB. Pretty UGLY when you opened it up, burrs and all the bad things you DON'T want inside, as it came from the factory. Gunsmith cleaned it right up, but I was not impressed at the price point of that gun; It does sound like they've not gotten their head back in line with minor sanity tho - Good! (She wanted it because "James Bond", which was why she bought it; Not sure if she still has it or not though.)
    Completely 2 different animals PPK vs PPQ

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Completely 2 different animals PPK vs PPQ
    Exactly, they couldn’t be more different. The PPK is an all metal hammer fired blowback operated pistol. The PPQ is is a striker fired pistol. It’s going to be hard to beat the PPQ trigger out of the box if you want a striker fired pistol.

Don’t overlook the CZ 75B SA. They’re right around $600. I personally don’t look at any pistol as how the pistol is from the factory. I look to see what can be done. Sending the CZ off to Cajun Gun Works of CZ Custom will have it coming back w/ an exceptional trigger. I’ve been told CZ’s polymer pistols have great triggers as well but I don’t own one. And like they’re all metal counterparts they can be sent off to CGW or CZC.

Banned
    I didn't mention the CZ-75 because I believed it wouldn't make the $600 cutoff the OP imposed but.........The CZ is an excellent pistol.

Canik TP9SF.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I didn't mention the CZ-75 because I believed it wouldn't make the $600 cutoff the OP imposed but.........The CZ is an excellent pistol.
    You can find the SA model for under $600 quite easily. You could spend a lot more on their higher end pistols like a Shadow 2 or TSO if you really want a great pistol out of the box.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    You can find the SA model for under $600 quite easily. You could spend a lot more on their higher end pistols like a Shadow 2 or TSO if you really want a great pistol out of the box.
    The all steel, CZ-75B will get the job done nicely.
    I didn't know they could be had for under $600 but I haven't priced one recently. That's a good deal on a solid pistol.

I have a little history with the CZ-75 and it's an excellent pistol.

The Sig SP2022 is also a good choice, I have one in 9mm, has a pretty decent trigger and came with tritium night sights, I bought mine used but even a new one is less than $600.

Most any Sig will have what you want...used of course. Most are DA/SA, but occasionally you find a SA only, if that floats your boat. Too, most Sigs have alloy frames so that may be disqualify them if you're committed to a plastic frame gun for CC use. Rod

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    Canik TP9SF.
    Any of the new Canik TP9 series. I'm very impressed with TP9 series. Canik has better trigger then my Sig p320 (which I still love) and it costs less. As a matter of fact TP9 is basically the same gun as Walter PPQ (which is by the way nothing like PPK). From my understanding Walther sold PPQ rights to Canik which became TP9 series so you can even swap slides between TP9s and PPQs. I just picked up Canik TP9 SFX and so far thats the best factory trigger I found under $600. Walther has better finish and fit but PPQ Q5 is $250 more then Canik TP9 SFX.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast