Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 12 gauge coyote loads

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fenring View Post
    We don't get coyotes here in Australia but we do get a lot of foxes.

A stiff load of BB's works well on them and so do 2's for that matter. IMO larger pellet loads have too many holes in the pattern.

I've killed them with as small as 7's when they are coming to the call. Peppered!
    Just noticed, that's a pretty neat gun. I wonder why they don't market in in the states? Any advantage over a conventional pump?

Boolit Grand Master
    if its pups you are after you should have no worries about you #4 load
    yes they come to the fawn in distress call its the one I use the most
    for hunting them in the fall/winter seems to work well
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Just be ready to put a quick follow up shot if needed with number 4's. I had to with #5's out of my 10 gauge on a 35 yard yote. Another one I took with #5's at 12 yards went straight threw it and stuck into the tree it was standing in front of. Both coyotes came in on different spring turkey hunts while I was calling gobblers. At the 12 yard harvest I Had some bloody looking pellets wrapped in hair stuck into the bark. The smaller pellets below size BB run out of steam after the 30-35 yard mark IMO for predator sized game. Just make sure you aim for the head.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-12-2018 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Just noticed, that's a pretty neat gun. I wonder why they don't market in in the states? Any advantage over a conventional pump?
    None at all - we can't have pumps or autos here so we have these.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had one come into my decoy set for turkeys
    smashed it with a load of #5's hevi shot out of
    my 10 ga never knew what hit em
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I've used Winchester #4 Buck 3.5" from my Mossberg 835 utiliy mag. I tried one of the Dead coyote chokes but it threw a horrible pattern. Ended up the factory full choke worked the best. I tried to get the Hevi-shot dead coyote (very expensive) to pattern out of my 870 and my A300 but I think i'm going to have to get a different choke for the Beretta to see if I can get it tighter.
    I haven't used a shotgun for coyote in quite awhile since I mounted a Burris Fast Fire on top of my Scope on my AR. When they sneak in on me I have to red dot to shwack em with rather than trying to find them in the crosshairs of the scope.

Boolit Master

I was pheasnt hunting in the north west part of Kansas using my 16 ga Browning A-5 loaded with 1 1/8 oz of mag #5. three coyotes came out of a plum thicket I was blocking on. three shots two dead coyotes far one was about 30 yards. the other coyote was dead with a load of 1 3/8 oz of #6 at almost 40 yards from a 12 ga 870. Both guns have mod chokes. Your coyotes have a lot thicker fur than our southern Indiana coyotes. I have killed one here with a load of 3/4 oz of #6 in my 28 ga quail gun. I always carry a few coyote loads when quail hunting
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

One of the furthest killing loads I ever used from my 870 (When I could own one...) was the Fiocchi 3" 12g with 1 3/4oz of nickel plated BB's through the extra full turkey tube.

Banned

I wonder if Fiochi still makes that load? Seems real lead shot in heavy, hard hitting loads are all either small shot for turkeys or big buck shot anymore. Mostly steel shot in the 3" and 3 1/2".

Boolit Master
    Out here in our part of the West, The Feds use F buck in steel for air gunning ‘otes and they also whack Commarants from the Columbia river with the same load and as it is a waterfowl area.

Three44s

Banned

Interesting. Why do they shoot cormorants? Are they harmful in some way? I guess I don't know much about them.

Boolit Master
    They eat tons smaller salmon and that’s a big deal because of ESA and the Tribes out this way.

The Feds involved nick name them “Commies” .... we are taking Boots on the ground, dirt under their finger nail type Feds here mind you .... lol!

Best regards

Three44s

Boolit Master

You can spend quite a bit of time and money finding a buckshot load that patterns well enough to use past 30 yards. The heavy shot stuff in BB to T-buck is deadly, but expensive. For inside 30 yards, good ole lead shot is adequate. I've seen #4 birdshot drop a coyote at 30 yards hard enough to break the front leg. That was an old Remington Express paper shotshell, 3.75 dram and 1.25 oz shot. #2 often exits on the far side. The old Federal stuff sounds like a good deal.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Fenring View Post
    We don't get coyotes here in Australia but we do get a lot of foxes.

A stiff load of BB's works well on them and so do 2's for that matter. IMO larger pellet loads have too many holes in the pattern.

I've killed them with as small as 7's when they are coming to the call. Peppered!
    some farmers here would be happy to send you some
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Lol.

Would not be popular around here, it's a sheep farming Mecca.

We have sold dog issues to the north, too.

Boolit Bub
    For several years my coyote load was 2.25oz of nickel plated BB out of my Browning 10ga Gold. 115 pellets per load. I have recently started using TSS Tungsten Super Shot. My load now is 2 oz of #4 TSS. 180 pellets. My patterns with TSS are running 79% in a 30" circle at 60 yards. 91% at 40 yards. Dave Afleck(Utah) has similar percentage results with #2TSS. He has proven that the #2TSS delivers more energy at 60 yards plus than the #4. But I have a LOT of #4TSS 10ga rounds loaded up. Therefore the coyotes will have to be happy being killed with #4 TSS.

As I predator call in southern CA during the winter months I am forced to use non toxic ammo. Turns out the state of CA has "forced" me into a much better performing coyote load.

Carl L.
    White Pine, MI

About 10 of us decided to more less drive a big hollow for Coyotes. I was using a FC 12g & 00 buck. A buddy gave me a box of 2x4 Turkey loads, Rem I think magnum 3". They did a better job
    than 00. At 30-40yds they were deadly, every time.

Boolit Bub
    I would go with the 2X4 loads also. Even though the FC 12 ga 00 load have 12 pellets vice 9 for most 2 3/4" 12 Ga. Too many holes in the 00 pattern.

Carl L.
    White Pine, MI

Mentioned before on another post of shooting a 100 lb pig at about 25 feet with number eight shot broadside between the eye and ear. It made a hole all the way out the other side that you could look through.

Should have mentioned how much drop double ought buckshot has at 60 yards. When you pattern the loads you will see where the pattern is and hold for that distance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast