Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Lyman 429649

Boolit Master

Lyman 429649

Anybody ever used this one in a 444 Marlin or a 44 Mag rifle even ?

I cannot find pics of the 429649 so far , but isn't it about a 325 grain GC bullet ?

With a nose kind of similar to the 429640 ?
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Here's a link to a closed ebay auction, with a picture, for your mold.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0%3D%26fvi%3D1
    Maineboy

Boolit Master

You're correct...looks like a bigger better 429640 or 429667. I bought a two cavity mould from a forum member, but have done little or nothing with it...did cast and size some boolits, but no loads yet. Glenn Fryxell may have done some work with it....he likes heavyweights. Glenn is a great asset to our hobby...I'm eagerly awaiting his book being available...he sure saved me a lot of work with his articles at lasc.

Boolit Buddy

429649 in handgun

Sorry for the thread hijack but has anyone used this bullet successfully in a handgun. I have this mold but is casts small .429 as cast. Also, I'm having trouble finding the right powder for this particular bullet. At full bore it is too much for me but when I throttle it back, stability seems to be a problem.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeBAC View Post
    Sorry for the thread hijack but has anyone used this bullet successfully in a handgun. I have this mold but is casts small .429 as cast. Also, I'm having trouble finding the right powder for this particular bullet. At full bore it is too much for me but when I throttle it back, stability seems to be a problem.
    I had a 480 Ruger SRH awhile back and the jacketed loads were a little stiff when I handloaded them with H110 , but when I went to cast loads with AA1680 it was real nice to shoot ! Perhaps you can go the same route
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

I have this 429649 mould that has been modified by scalping the gas check shank area from the mould. I have cast a few, and while the weight is around 295g from WW+1% tin, the diameters have been running .427 to .428 and I ain't got around to "Beageling" it yet. Just another "project" to work on! When I get sumthin definitive, I'll post the results.--Shuz
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    You can try this (I have)..take a cast bullet and drill a hole in its base, attach a drywall screw. You the coat with oil and cover with valve lapping coimpound--you spin in a drill and carefully close the blocks to "open up" the mold. If it is a two cavity mold I try to time each "cut" so that each side gets the same amount of time. You refresh the lapping compound every 15~20 seconds. You then cast a bullet and measure each side to verify that they are the same and what diameter the mold casts. As I have a .444 Marlin with a MG barrel I use bullets sized to .431". I use 17.0 grauins of Unique with a Lyman 245 Grain RN cast bulet--it is very accurate, but you have to single load them as the RN may cause a chain fire if loaded in the magazine tube. I get 1,680 FPS average muzzle veolicty--anything faster tends not to be as accurate.

Boolit Master

I used this mold in a Dan Wesson 7445 445 supermagnum. The mold I had cast .430 with Lyman #2 and was a beast behind WW680. It shot very well in that Monsoon gun.

I didn't even realize I necro'd an 11 year old post, sorry about that...
    Last edited by Moonie; 03-10-2019 at 12:28 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

There is a pic on a thread in the cast boolits forum Facebook page of this particular boolit, sure is a purtie one. Like the Lee C430-310-RF it would require driving fairly hard in slower twist barrels to gain enough spin to stabilize. Iirc, the SBH has a 1:20" twist, so in a handgun driving at less than 1,000fps may open groups considerably once that threshold of stability is reached where it doesn't get enough spin.

No one has yet mentioned obturation. The molds discussed dropping at .429" .430" wouldn't give the optimum fitment in cylinder throats, but in 50/50 alloy (or basically any soft alloy you can scratch with a thumbnail), over a full house of H110, the boolits would easily bump up to fill the cylinder throats and they would exit the front of the cylinder at throat diameter. As long as throats are not undersized, i.e. .001" to .002" greater than groove diameter, this boolit would probably be pretty accurate without having to beagle the mold. Just something to think about.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 03-10-2019 at 12:15 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I had Tom at Accurate cut my a copy of the Lee 310 .44 minus the GC. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4DB0A15B-A564-4943-A99D-E58A2CE6699B.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	237697

Boolit Grand Master

I would have thought the crimp to nose length would be too long for a stock 1894. I started my 1894 life out with a Lyman 429421 which of course is the famous Keith SWC that everyone has to have... unless you own an 1894 that is! I have the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook which included a comment that the COAL with this boolit exceeds factory ammunition length but of course I never read that until I had feeding issues! DOH!

In any case, mt Marlin was quite picky about COAL and boolit design. It didn't like the long nose of the 429421 and it didn't like SWC's at all!

RNFP designs fed quite well and I loaded up to 300 gr. versions but COAL was an issue to I filed the cartridge stop back to allow longer COAL and that worked fine.

Then a I got the Mihec 434640 clone and of course it fed in the modified gun just fine but it has a long nose too so I figured it wouldn't feed well in stock 1894's but then Glen Fryxel comments on it in his testing so it must be okay.

I just cast up a bunch in solid form and lubed them up yesterday. I was also suffering from the dreaded Marlin jam so did some work to try to solve that. We'll see if I was successful shortly. In the past the 434640 fed well and gave quite good accuracy using IMR4227 which is my .44 mag. go to powder.

And yes. 1894's and 444's want fat boolits of 0.432"+. I shoot as cast at 0.433" (Accurate) and 0.434" (Mihec 43464 and H&G #503).

Longbow

My 1894 feeds the 429421 just fine. Guess I got lucky....
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    I cast the 30 gr Lee mentioned above. My SBH loves it, my Marlin 1894 not so much. But my 1894 44M has a 1 in 38" twist. A Marlin 1895 444M has a 1 in 20" twist so should stabilize a bullet like mine just fine.
    Last edited by Norske; 03-11-2019 at 11:15 PM.

Boolit Master

I just got this mold today. I cast about 50 boolits to test and try.

Gonna be loading in a 444 Marlin lever.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw