Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1 handed conceal carry

Boolit Master
    I'm a little perplexed. You know the particulars of her current challenge, but if she can manipulate a revolver and speed loader or speed strip, why wouldn't she be able to manage an auto pistol and mags? Or is racking the slide the big challenge? Generally, when engaging in CCW, one has time to chamber the first round at home where there's time and/or help. Once that's accomplished, you're good for 10, 12 or 15 before a reload and the slide can be released from open or the mag changed with one still chambered, eliminating the need to manually rack it again. Or push the front of the slide against the edge of a piece of furniture, edge of the counter-top, the door jamb, bed frame, anything hard enough while gripping the pistol in the weak hand and let it slip off to chamber the next round. If an auto is what she's already familiar with, wouldn't reducing the need for cross-training while preserving her tactical advantage be better? Limiting one's self to 5 or 6 guarantees having to reload much sooner. If the confrontation takes 5-6 rounds do you want the gun to be empty or still have 4 or 5 or 10 left - without needing to find refuge for a reload? After a shooting scrape, no one says, "Gee, I sure wish I didn't bring all that extra ammo!"

I give no credence to the idea one can predict what a future defensive situation will require based on statistical history. Statistics provide a general predictive value, not specific. Yes, statistically many shootings are over in just a few seconds and after a few rounds. This is no predictor of the next specific confrontation and there are many which are atypical for various reasons. In some number of instances, one will face multiple assailants, some drugged out of their minds and capable of absorbing multiple hits before incapacitation. Just sayin'.

Boolit Master
    to answer your question. I shot in a combat match where you had to do a one hand reload. some got real creative. opening the cylinder one handed then putting the pistol in your belt load the pistol .

watch the movie Valkery a walther pp was loaded and the slide worked one handed.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    You can press the rear sight against your belt or thigh to rack the slide on an autoloader, also. Helps to have enough upper body strength to do it (One woman I know couldn't, at first, rack a 1911 slide 2-handed; Some exercise fixed that.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12