Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 handed conceal carry

Boolit Bub

1 handed conceal carry

Wife got hit by car she is doing alright, but her right elbow was pretty much shattered they were able to peice most of it together with a bolt and some pins. However they are not sure how much useage she will get back and they have said probally more surgeries. What I am wondering she normally was carrying a 9mm taurus but it took a long time to find a holster that did not hurt her to wear. I am thinking her only choice for carry now would be a revolver. I have not done anything with them and was curious if any one had some ideas to keep in mind while shopping for a cheap everyday carry. Also ideas about holsters that work for you. Holsters would need to be around waist as with cast she cannot lean over easily.

Boolit Buddy

I think you are right about a revolver choice. Since it will have to be shot one handed, recoil and controllability is an issue. That means a wadcutter load. I would suggest a snub nose with an exposed hammer.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Negative on the exposed hammer, catches on things, she needs to learn DA. Ruger LCR with wadcuuters is manageable by most women one-handed.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Don't overlook the Taurus 85CH (I know, I know). The one I had was a sound little gun, and I shot it a fair amount. They're out of production is my understanding, but they should still be available at many distributors.

ETA: Looks like the nearest thing now is the CIA 850.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

S&W Model 60, 5 shot, compact, been doing the job since 1965. Put a set of pachmayr grip on, and she will be "Good to Go".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	221766
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Anyone else watch "Fargo"?

Last episode the one kid wanted to prove he could reload and shoot one handed.
    He did it too. Right arm held against the side, gun laid in the crease, mag slammed home.
    Reversed gun putting butt in the crease and cycled the action. Then picked it up left handed and let fly.

So a semi is doable. As is a speed loader for a revolver.

Personally if it was me I'd prefer the revolver with a speed loader and fairly light loads. Recoil and blast will hurt if your already hurting.

Boolit Master

Don't forget 9mms revolvers since you are set up already. Several folks make them including the ruger lcr with no exposed hammer.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

I think JCREN is onto something. The LCR in 9mm with moonclips would be easier to manage than a standard speed loader.

Boolit Bub
    thank you I did not even realize they had a 9mm revolver I was expecting to have to get a new setup. If I can find one she likes that cuts the expenses consideably. is the bulge on the revolver dificult to deal with for carrying or am I over worrying? We are going by a lgs monday when we head back to a follow up hopefully I can find a lcr for her to try.

Boolit Grand Master

Hope she makes a full recovery. I’d let her heal and let her decide.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    S&W Model 60, 5 shot, compact, been doing the job since 1965. Put a set of pachmayr grip on, and she will be "Good to Go".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	221766
    My vote for the Smith model 60 and a speed strip.....use with a pocket holster if she carries a purse or uses something baggy like cargo pants, but somehow I suspect that she wont wear them. I love the AZULA IWB holsters .... all leather and well made....good luck to to your wife and I will pray for recovery ! Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Right NOW? I go revolver or stay home and use what ever you feel comfortable with.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I like Mustang's choice or any make of a similar revolver. I have carried many revolvers and never thought I was outgunned in any situation. It is all a matter of practice.....practice.......practice. A lot of people simply will not shoot enough to get as profficent as they should be. And you need to practice drawing and reloading. I seldom see shooter drop a magazine from a semi and put anpother one in the gun or drop the empty brass and then reload. I learned to shoot a handgun.....not a handsgun as my teacher told me.....lol.......shooting primarily with one hand. I still shoot a lot with one hand. With a decent load for the gun and person it is not hard to do. nothing wrong with using two hands but in a real panic or stressful situation one hand shooting could be required so I believe it is a very good thing to learn.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Also - You might look at 6-shot speed strips if she has any hand function problems, the extra length will give her more grip on the speed strips. If she doesn't need the extra length that's OK too.

Boolit Bub
    while we went by the lgs she hated the ruger ended up falling in love with the taurus 85fs. So gun bought and she found a iwb holster to start with. Now I get to increase my reloading gear have to get setup for 38 spl.

One thing to bear in mind is the low probability she will need to ever draw and fire in a hostile situation, and of that low probability there is only a small sub percentage where the person will fire several shots.

Having 5 in the cylinder and a strip or at most two of 5 more round should cover almost any self defense situation well enough to keep her from being a victim. Was a time that the LEO carry load was 15 rounds for plain clothes or detectives. Five loaded and ten reloads.

Can't go wrong having reloading gear for .38 special. It is a most popular caliber.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    first round I reloaded was .38 spl.

tell your wife to keep using the arm as much as possible don't baby it. in 1980 I shattered both arms pins plates and screws. with in a year I was shooting again shot expert with a pistol also shot muzzleloader matches. it just takes work.

There are also some tip up barrel semi autos in 32 or 380 that she could probably manage to reload, she wouldn't need to pull the slide back , generally smaller/thinner than a revolver .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I would recommend some Hornady Critical Defense (or similar from other mfg.) ammo. Standard slugs will barely make it through a leather jacket.
    Normally, I carry my pistols cocked with one round in the chamber, so one handed operation would not be a problem.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    My vote for the Smith model 60 and a speed strip.Paul
    My carry gun is a MagnaPorted 3" square butt 36 with Pachmayrs. That extra inch on the barrel makes all the difference in world for sighting, and the Pachmayrs make it controllable.
    Consider that configuration....well maybe not the MagnaPort bit....it was that way when I bought it.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast