RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lehigh Defense Style Mold

Boolit Buddy

Lehigh Defense Style Mold

Would it be possible to make a mold to replicate the Lehigh Defense Xtreme Defender/Penetrator?
    I wonder if the shape of the fins would allow the bullets to drop free from the mold.
    If they are moldable, would the nose of the bullet retain its shape while being chambered?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	221740

Boolit Master
    The mold halves would have to be along the axis lines of the nose directly in line with the 4 corners of the nose shape. If the lead was hard enough, I don't think the nose would deform, at least not enough to matter. The problem in my eyes is the actual cutting of the mold. I don't think a mold cherry can cut shapes like that. Maybe a 3D CNC router, I don't know. Others will chime in.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    The mold halves would have to be along the axis lines of the nose directly in line with the 4 corners of the nose shape. If the lead was hard enough, I don't think the nose would deform, at least not enough to matter. The problem in my eyes is the actual cutting of the mold. I don't think a mold cherry can cut shapes like that. Maybe a 3D CNC router, I don't know. Others will chime in.
    No doubt that it would be a very difficult mold to produce. What I'm thinking is it would almost have to be a single cavity mold that was cut from four blocks. The four blocks would be bolted together on the left and right sides so you essentially have a two sided, single cavity mold.
    I wonder if Lee would be willing to make this mold?

Boolit Buddy
    Another possibility would be to have inserts that screw into the mold to create the flutes.

Banned

There are threads on Phillips Head cast bullets. I think the fins would have to be thicker with lead alloy compared to copper.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm sure you are right. Do you think casting these out of zinc would produce a better bullet? It would be lighter, and quite a bit stronger than lead.

Boolit Master

I was thinking swage it if it bends it bends.

Boolit Master
    I wonder if an RG mold might make some sense. You could shape then ends of the pins anyway you wanted. Still difficult but would add a degree of changeability. If the flares were a little thicker and cast of WW, I think the flares wouldn't bend to awful much. Maybe dent a little. Sure would like to see what it would do and see if it would fly straight.

Boolit Master

I like the idea.

There is another design that would work. Thats the ARX bullet by inceptor.

CW

NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Banned

^^^ I like this with more meplat and slightly deeper blades/fins
    The business end needs to be more blunt.

Boolit Grand Master

Its an interesting concept. A floating core pin might be able to be used. But on a 2 piece mould release might become an issue. Going back to the 1920s or so is some technology that might be ideal for this. The old ideal cylindrical mould was a 1 piece body and nose insert. The nose insert set weight and shape, and was used as an ejector pushing the bullet out the top of the mould. It was spring loaded so once out the spring tension resetting the nose inert should pull the bullet out. You would have to PC them as grease grooves cant be cast in this style mould. But this style mould would be easy to make and different noses could be tried with just the machining of a new insert.

The big thing will be getting the needed release angles needed on the inserts and moulds.

For this style bullet swaging might be a better option but its going to take a good press to swage that nose and cuts in.

Boolit Buddy
    What if there were just two flutes that came closer together in the middle of the bullet? It would essentially have two meplats. I would think it would be much easier to get the bullets to release from the mold.

Boolit Master
    Interesting question about mold design and technology, but would anyone want to actually shoot such a bullet?

If cast hard enough not to deform then I gotta think the petals will snap off at impact. If cast soft then reliable feeding may be a problem and the sharp edges will collapse at impact. I think material selection is key to the Lehigh design and substitution of cast lead will provide poor results.

Banned

I think something like 94/3/3 heat treated to 21 bhn would would work. Not brittle but still hard

Boolit Bub
    A cramer type mold would work. It would just be the pins shaping the outside of the bullet nose instead of the hollow point. The real question is why would you want to?

Boolit Master

It would be possible on a CNC mill. You'd have to drill through the nose, come in that way and make your cuts and then plug the nose opening. It could be done but it would take a smart machinist, good equipment and a lot of experience./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

You could easily EDM this mold, you'd just have to pay $300 for it.
    Former cylindersmith.

Boolit Bub
    Check out the AS molds made in Russia. They have what you want. $55+shipping including handles.