Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Henry Single Shot rifles?

Henry Single Shot rifles?

Anybody have one? The price seems about right.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/single-shot-rifle/

Boolit Master
    my local gun shop had a .223 and a .308 in stock today, for $375, take your pic, both had killer nice wood on them!

Compared to the CVA single shots, these Henry are really nice and US made. I've seen the 5.56 and .243 and both had beautiful walnut stocks.

I was looking at a CVA Scout in 44 mag, but these Henry single shot rifles have me thinking twice...

I have a CVA Hunter in 35 Remington that I like, but it seems to me the Henry rifle is a couple steps up and for only a few dollars more than the CVA Scout.

Boolit Master
    If they had 45 Colt, I'd have one. Probably 30-30 also.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master

All they need to do now is chamber them in .22 Hornet, .25-20 and .32-20!

Boolit Master
    A .44 mag with a twist rate for 300 gr. boolits and a threaded muzzle would be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    my local gun shop had a .223 and a .308 in stock today, for $375, take your pic, both had killer nice wood on them!
    Considering that a used H&R would cost almost that, it’s a bargain.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Bub
    yep a 30-30 and 45 colt for me as well!!

Boolit Bub
    45 colt and 357 mag would be hot sellers.

I looked at one in 308 yesterday at our local gun show and the fit/finish was very good. I hope Henry decides to expand on the caliber choices.

I would be interested in a 357 magnum version. I like the look of them. I always liked the H&Rs too.

Maybe could use one in .44 Special but what I've really wanted is a .41 Mag.

And how about 357 Maximum?

Anyone have one in 45-70 yet? I had a Handi in 45-70 with absolutely no throat. It was difficult to close the action because the rifiling would engage the bullet. If these 45-70 Henrys have a throat, I want one!
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Four-Sixty you could maybe get the throat on that Handi-Rifle reamed out some? The Henry's look interesting.

Mr Sheesh. I asked two gunsmiths who declined because it was a Handi. I sold it off. I think I saw a similar report for the CVA Hunter not having a throat either.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master
    I did a review of one in .45-70 a while back, I still have the gun, I just ordered a Skinner barrel mounted peep sight for it.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/06/hen...#axzz5TIbpV6PU
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Master

Guy showed up to our levergun silhouette match today with one in 45-70 (we are not a sanctioned match so single shots are welcome). It looked really nice, and he shot a pretty decent score with it considering it was the first time he shot silhouette.

MegaSuperMagum's thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...al-Impressions talked about the trigger being a bit on the heavy side. Maybe North of five pounds of pull. He was trying out some industrial springs to see if he could lighten the trigger pull.

So far, the only negative comments I've read about Henry's SS is from MegaSuperMagum and another poster who think the trigger weight is too much. However, for how nice it appears (haven't see anywhere local) the trigger doesn't worry me too much and the price is very low considering you're getting real wood, steel, and iron sights too. The .223 is on my short list for my next rifle. Should make an excellent target and plinking rifle.

David LaPell,

Did you have any problems closing the action due to little to no throat? I wonder if the throat is too short on these that the bullet engraved on the rifling. The Handi I had was bad. If, on the other hand, the action closed with no effort for any bullet that would be good news.

And Henry, please offer one in 30-30!
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master
    I have one in .223 and .243. They both had triggers that were a little gritty and broke at #4 or so. I could live with the triggers, as they both shot very well, with iron sights, out to 150yds. I did take the gun apart, and with a little judicious stoning of the component parts, had them smooth as a babies butt, and actually dropped the pull# by 1/2# or so. Both guns are now scoped and shoot 3/4" groups. I posted on this earlier when I first got the .223, and seemed like I got no feedback, because I was a happy camper!

Boolit Grand Master

I'd say you got some good ones, you are the first person to report a 4# trigger on the Henry single shot. Mine was closer to 8#, and lots of 6-7# triggers are talked about. Henry themselves says they are designed to be 5#-6#. Other than that, they are fine rifles, and they do have a generous throat. Mine is in 308 winchester, and I am seating a Lee 309-170-F so the GC is level with the bottom of the neck, and I still am not touching rifling. It doesn't seem to effect jacketed bullet accuracy, as mine has been shooting about MOA, even when I was shaking from trying to pull the trigger. I am selling the reduced power hammer springs, check the selling section. I've sold to two people, one I haven't heard any report back yet, and the other hasn't received them yet. I ran a very short string with mine and the lightest spring with no problems.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast