Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Henry Single Shot rifles?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Could the triggers have been cast or milled but then not cleaned up after? I've seen some firearms come new from the factory in IMO BAD condition (Friends' Walther PPK/S some years ago, 22# DA trigger, we stoned it clean and was more like ~7# after that? Lots better anyways.) Burrs will make a trigger obnoxious! And a friends' Thompson 45 (SA version) was maybe worse but he just ran 500 rounds through it to clean it up.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know if it was supposed to be or not, but my trigger was as cast. I didn't see any burrs or other problems. I have since used an Arkansas stone to smooth it, but I don't want to go to far. It now has a consistent tick, then clean break. With the stoning and lighter spring it really helped mine out. It might be around 4#-5# now. I should buy a trigger pull gauge.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Four-Sixty View Post
    David LaPell,

Did you have any problems closing the action due to little to no throat? I wonder if the throat is too short on these that the bullet engraved on the rifling. The Handi I had was bad. If, on the other hand, the action closed with no effort for any bullet that would be good news.

And Henry, please offer one in 30-30!
    I had no issues with the action closing, I got good groups out of both the 300 and 405 grain bullets and no issues with the action.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Great news Sir!

Thanks for the reply.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Bub
    Megasuupermagnum, was away,money order will be in the mail tomorrow. Gun didn't come yet, dealer said delivery is slow, demand is high!! Want to have the spring kit in hand when the henry gets here!!!!

Banned

fwiw - the henry h015-223 .223 rem s/s is $356/shipped at tombstone.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Four-Sixty View Post
    ... I had a Handi in 45-70 with absolutely no throat. It was difficult to close the action because the rifiling would engage the bullet. ...
    ah, a bore rider paper patched bullet delight!!! i'd take one in a heartbeat!!!

Boolit Bub
    We need a 30-30 and 357max. I would order them today!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 30-30 guy View Post
    We need a 30-30 and 357max. I would order them today!!
    Check this out:

https://grabagun.com/henry-repeating...-30-bl-wd.html

They also list a .357 Mag......but I don't believe either one really exists. No listing on the Henry site.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    Check this out:

https://grabagun.com/henry-repeating...-30-bl-wd.html

They also list a .357 Mag......but I don't believe either one really exists. No listing on the Henry site.
    both are listed as "out of stock" ... i wonder why?

Boolit Master
    Maybe Henry is using Ruger's play book ��
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

I swear I checked the link at about 1PM and it said 1 in stock for the 30 WCF.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/789300916

Heres one and the 357 will be out in brass and the steel. Just so you guys know. Al
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Banned

i have and shot the henry .223 today, but with the far improved trigger (and hammer). i also have the .357 on order and due to arrive next week. these are GREAT guns, but only once the trigger gets fixed. thanx to megasupermagnum, we all now have an easy and cheap fix for all henry single shot rifles for $3 plus shipping .....

Henry single shot H015 rifle trigger/hammer fix springs available at cost + shipping here ....

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ger-hammer-FIX

^. Just ordered one of those springs. After owning other Henry's and reading a few reviews.....I expected much more than I got with my H015 in 308. The hammer pull is UGLY....and the trigger pull is about 7.5 lbs. No way I am going hunting with this rig. I'm hoping that I can resolve these issues with the spring and a little light stoning / lapping on the trigger parts.

I did buy the scope mount offered by Henry/ Warne.....and that seems pretty good. Also bought the Henry/Carlson Hammer Extension.....and it bends when I tightened the set screw....which allows it to work forward on the hammer. NOT GOOD at all. I fear it could cause a misfire if it works further forward. More tightening on the set-screw only further bends the extension in the middle. It is made of aluminum to be light weight......but it is does not have enough of the right stuff to stay striaight upon installation. I think I will buy a STEEL hammer extension from Grov-Tec and see if this floats my boat?

Kinda disgusted with the results from this gun to date. Heavy hammer and trigger pulls, then the bad Hammer Extension, and now a bad Reticle(?) in a Leupold scope I bought with the rifle. Grrrrr.....some days are stones. . I'd bet I own over 40 Leupold Scopes....and this is the first one with a bad reticle. I guess it happens.....Maybe I'm snake bit. .

Banned

when i got the henry .223 i loved everything about it - the build, components, fit and finish - but that danged trigger AND hammer were the gawd awful pits! i would never have bought the gun if i didn't read up on the work that megasupermagnum had been doing with his henry .308, and the really good results he was getting. i bought my spring kit from him before i even bought the gun!

there is NO question to me that swapping out the stock henry s/s rifle spring set for one 31# spring, or *maybe* the 31# spring plus the inner stock small spring, will make an immediate lighter difference to the perceived pull weights of both the trigger and hammer.

how much difference will depend on the luck of the draw with what gun you got off their assembly line. some folks are finding the stock setup weighs out in excess of 7# and others claim under 6#.

some folks found that replacing both stock springs gave too light a hammer strike - this is an easy test to do in yer shop by lighting off just a primer loaded case. if too, light a strike, add back in just the smaller inner stock spring.

some folks are polishing the sear and engagement besides the spring swap and getting even better results. i'd think that as the gun gets used, so will the parts polish up and work better, as with most any gun.

i wish to heck henryusa would be reading these CB henry s/s h015-xxxx gun threads, wake up and smell the coffee and reevaluate how these guns are leaving their new jersey assembly center. maybe that's the real problem - assembled in one of the worst anti-gun states in the union. dang.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    when i got the henry .223 i loved everything about it - the build, components, fit and finish - but that danged trigger AND hammer were the gawd awful pits! i would never have bought the gun if i didn't read up on the work that megasupermagnum had been doing with his henry .308, and the really good results he was getting. i bought my spring kit from him before i even bought the gun!

there is NO question to me that swapping out the stock henry s/s rifle spring set for one 31# spring, or *maybe* the 31# spring plus the inner stock small spring, will make an immediate lighter difference to the perceived pull weights of both the trigger and hammer.

how much difference will depend on the luck of the draw with what gun you got off their assembly line. some folks are finding the stock setup weighs out in excess of 7# and others claim under 6#.

some folks found that replacing both stock springs gave too light a hammer strike - this is an easy test to do in yer shop by lighting off just a primer loaded case. if too, light a strike, add back in just the smaller inner stock spring.

some folks are polishing the sear and engagement besides the spring swap and getting even better results. i'd think that as the gun gets used, so will the parts polish up and work better, as with most any gun.

i wish to heck henryusa would be reading these CB henry s/s h015-xxxx gun threads, wake up and smell the coffee and reevaluate how these guns are leaving their new jersey assembly center. maybe that's the real problem - assembled in one of the worst anti-gun states in the union. dang.
    These guns are made in Rice Lake, Wisconsin. Wisconsin is historically gun friendly.

Banned

i heard from henry that the parts are made in wisconsin but assembled in bayonne, NJ.

Boolit Grand Master

It's possible, but the gun says Rice Lake, WI right on it. There was a video somewhere on here showing the Rice Lake Henry plant, check youtube. It looked rather inclusive to me.

Banned

i'd already seen that video, and at 7:14 the henry GM sez that "many of the parts that are assembled in the NJ plant are actually produced here in wisconsin prior to being shipped to NJ" ... he goes on to show golden boy parts that are being shipped to NJ for assembly. one of the reasons, if not the main reason for having a wisconsin plant, was that the bayonne plant had 100 of their machines in 3 feet of sandy hurricane water. not that any of that matters a hoot, other than NJ still sucks. grrrr.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast