Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: Cleaning

Boolit Mold

Cleaning

How often do you clean,does accuracy drops off,just started casting last week.

Boolit Master

Use Ben's Red and after a few hundred rounds you will have that Carnuba Shine and will have to clean the chamber every so often,there will be nothing in the barrel to clean
    God Bless
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master

Fit and lube are king to answer that. I powder coat and have guns that haven't been cleaned other than wiping off soot and lubing lightly in longer than I can remember. PC won't lead if the barrel is smooth and you have a good fit, and won't leave jacket metal or lube residue behind. Like w5pv said, a quality lube will also "season" a barrel and prevent buildup. So assuming a smooth, broken in barrel, cast usually means less cleaning once you get it right.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Years ago when I started shooting cast bullets in my revolver I ended up with large amounts of lead in the barrel and if I didn't clean every few hundred shots I had all kinds of problems. I finally started asking questions from other people who shot cast and ended up with a load that didn't lead like my earlier loads. Now I am shooting powder coated and there isn't any lead at all in the barrel.

Boolit Grand Master

My cast boolit ammo doesn't lead much any more (fit, lube primary concerns). But, I clean my guns after every use, regardless of how much I shoot them. I often take several guns to the "range" but one of my favorites is my 44 Magnum Puma. I can run 100+ 265 gr. cast bullet rounds through it quite easily, (until recoil starts to sting ). My 38s with cast bullet loads sometimes get up to 150-160 rounds in one session, but all get cleaned when I get home...
    Last edited by mdi; 06-07-2018 at 03:27 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I have wondered if I clean too much, frankly. Revolvers are inherently messy enough that I will probably always clean after a range trip. Rifles seem to barely get dirty, though, since my loads don't lead.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master
    I might be a little weird. My ammo doesn't lead any of my barrels thanks to the info on this site, but I fastidiously clean everything I own. I like a clean motorcycle, clean truck, and clean guns. For me, it's simply pride of ownership.

Boolit Grand Master

Yep. I learned quite early to clean and put my toys (tools, vehicles and guns) away after use. They will always be where they belong and I can easily find them, and they will be ready for immediate use...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Check my bores every time I shoot ,no lead just pull a cloth through to get rid of any powder reside etc .give them a through clean and lube every year whether they need it or not!

Boolit Master
    I clean when needed...

My blued guns will get cleaned every trip to the range, but it's more so to wipe off the finger prints and maintain the finish than anything else. Stainless guns will usually get wiped down but not necessarily "cleaned" every time. I will usually do a detailed cleaning every 500 rounds or so.

If there's lead build up in the bore then the barrel will get scrubbed, but I try and avoid that.

Talk about differences of opinions, this topic is one of the best for our diverse tactics for cleaning. I (fortunately) don't have a rifle, or handgun that leads, so I push a dry patch through the barrel and then another with a patch of light Singer sewing machine oil and call it quits. Before I shoot jacketed bullets in a rifle, I do clean the barrel extensively, but I quit shooting anything but cast in revolvers a LONG time ago. BTW, my firearms don't lead thanks to the knowledge I gleaned from this site and the very well informed and experienced people here.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

My handguns don't lead with my cast boolit loads so I never clean the barrels. I clean the actions and cylinders where powder fouling will build up after each range session, but the barrels never get cleaned.
    I make sure of boolit fit and I tumble lube with White Labek X Lox. I have barrels that have hundreds of rounds through them without a trace of leading.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks I was at the range and forgot solvent so I used off repellent it worked as good as anything else recleaned when I arrived home.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 100yrdopenchamp View Post
    Thanks I was at the range and forgot solvent so I used off repellent it worked as good as anything else recleaned when I arrived home.
    Careful with that OFF mosquito repellent. DEET is the main ingredient that the skeeters don't like and it is a plasticizer. It will soften and eat the finish "OFF" of a nice piece of wood! It will also ruin plastic lenses and eat up your plastic grubs in your tackle box. Ask me how I know.