Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyGraf & SonsTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2ADvertise hereLee PrecisionStainLess Steel Media

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pistol bullet making: the fast way.

****....... just spent about 5 hours making all new punches for my drawing dies for the thinner aluminum jackets im going to be making.. im going to step down in aluminum thickness from 0.025in to 0.015in aluminum. im doing this so that they will fragment a lot better in a liquid environment.. the 0.025in thick is ok, but the jacket stays intact too well when doing the wetpack testing and still penetrates over 8 inches if there is cloth in the way. im gonna try to get that down to about 5in with the bullet becoming nothing but shards at 4 inches to eliminate 90% of the possibility of over penetration and get it to transfer 100% of the energy into the target.

im thinking the next test will be about 1/8in of cloth followed by an inch of wet paper followed by 1/2in of wood board and then 5 more inches of wet paper. the wood board should give me some idea of what will happen after the bullet travels through the sternum or a rib of the target..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser 98K View Post
    ****....... just spent about 5 hours making all new punches for my drawing dies for the thinner aluminum jackets im going to be making.. im going to step down in aluminum thickness from 0.025in to 0.015in aluminum. im doing this so that they will fragment a lot better in a liquid environment.. the 0.025in thick is ok, but the jacket stays intact too well when doing the wetpack testing and still penetrates over 8 inches if there is cloth in the way. im gonna try to get that down to about 5in with the bullet becoming nothing but shards at 4 inches to eliminate 90% of the possibility of over penetration and get it to transfer 100% of the energy into the target.

im thinking the next test will be about 1/8in of cloth followed by an inch of wet paper followed by 1/2in of wood board and then 5 more inches of wet paper. the wood board should give me some idea of what will happen after the bullet travels through the sternum or a rib of the target..
    That looks like about the optimum bullet for that caliber. Great work...thinking out of the box there. The whole process is very ingenious. Thanks for sharing.
    AKA hans.pcguy

here are the newest rounds for my CZ52..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0410.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	222235
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0411.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	222236
    85gr semi jacketed hollow point.. these are a lot prettier than the last ones i made and are a different alloy of aluminum.. im not really sure what the other aluminum was, just something i picked up out of scrap pile. it would transfer as powder, and you could scrape it off like powder.. it was weird.. this here is a lot different and doesn't seem to transfer aluminum to other things and doesn't turn to powder if you scrape it or rub it... after i do the trimming step i then take them up to annealing temperature and this burns the plastic coating off of the aluminum and they come out shiny. but now i get to do the wetpack test tomorrow and see how they do..

Boolit Master

Looks like an old school Winchester Silvertip
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    Looks like an old school Winchester Silvertip
    Yep.. Kind of what I was going for. They always did pretty well as far as deformation..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12