MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationStainLess Steel MediaTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Graf & SonsADvertise here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When is hummingbird season?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Don't just filet the breasts out. The legs and thighs are the best part!
    Nothing like a nice rack of hummingbird ribs, either!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    Attachment 221776When I was a kid I bought one of the Western Haig revolvers thinking it sounded like it would be fun toy as the advertisement made it sound almost like a real gun.
    What I got was a plastic pistol that resembled a revolver with some no. 12 lead shot pellets.
    What powered the firing of these pellets was a standard roll of caps just like a toy cap pistol I owned when I was younger yet.
    I was really disappointed with the pistol as I tried to shoot a pellet thru a potato chip and it would just bounce off.
    I wrote a letter to the company complaining that I was ripped off and wanted my money back. I never got a response or my money.
    I did let a friend once shoot me in the back with a 22 birdshot shell at about 40 feet away thinking it wouldn't even get to me as we tried shooting sparrows at about 20 feet and couldn't kill one , just knock a few feathers out and they would fly away.
    Believe me that birdshot stung like HELL ! and that was no. 12 shot I believe also. Out of a smooth bore 22 they may have slightly more effect on hummingbirds.

Jedman
    I remember seeing those ads back in the early and mid 60's. Dad had already bought me a Sears .22 bolt rifle that held 25 shorts, 20 longs, or 18 LR, so Momma said I couldn't have the Western Haig. I saved my pennies for some imported .22 ammo that the hardware store had that was really cheap. I believe it was made in Finland.
    I wanted one of those revolvers. Someone also made a rifle that used either BP or smokeless. It had a turret that you put a ball in and filled the chamber with powder and closed it by turning it clockwise, and used "greenie stickum caps" for ignition. It came in two different calibers. Momma nixed that one, too....

Does anyone remember those rifles?

Rocky Mountain Arms Corp. made them.
    Last edited by Tom W.; 06-12-2018 at 04:09 PM.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Rocky Mountain Arms made them. I have one in .22. It used a #4 buckshot ball and any old cap gun cap would ignite it with about a empty .22 shell worth of black powder. It uses a forcing cone to elongate the ball to .22 elongated projectile. It looks and feels like a toy but is gives .22LR performance.
    Last edited by MusicMan; 06-12-2018 at 06:59 PM.

Boolit Master
    0.12 is #5 shot.
    #12 shot is .05
    NOT the same thing...

A .45Colt case will hold 0.4oz of shot. #12shot makes a potent snake load.
    Recently I was gifted 5lbs of #10. Looking foward to loading some snake loads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12