Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: driving band on accuracy

Boolit Master

driving band on accuracy

i poured some bullets today that the driving bands were not sharp or square but slightly rounded.How will these shoot compared to nice clean bands? is temp the factor? Im pouring a big 535 grain bullet for a sharps.how hot would u run the pot for a bullet this size for fill out.im using wheel weights and do not have this problem using Lino for this same bullet poured from my promelt furnance

Boolit Master

Tin.

You need more tin.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

I run my 535 postel mould around 725*. It has been converted to a nose pour in the hoch style with sprue plate and a base plate with the spacer between the 2. My alloy is 20-1 and I ladle pour. Another cause might be the flow rate of the metal into the mould from the pot. A slight addition of some tin may also help. Try cleaning the spout and see if that helps, or if flow is adjustable open it up a little.

As far as how they will shoot weigh some and see if they are consistant. Then test against some sharp ones and see. This is the sure fire way to know.

Boolit Grand Master

As mentioned, add 1-2% tin and open up your flow. I have to do that when casting the big 400-450gr boolits.

I would also doubt there is a huge drop off in accuracy but it’s just as easy to remelt and keep the good ones.

Boolit Grand Master

Unfortunately those are likely to be slightly small as well. Check diameter before your decide to shoot them.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

You also need to get the lead into the Mold as fast as possible. Many people use a ladle to pour larger boolits.

Boolit Master

If you guys want to use the degree symbol °, just hold down the alt button and type 0176 and it will magically appear!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    If you guys want to use the degree symbol °, just hold down the alt button and type 0176 and it will magically appear!
    And takes more typing then deg. OR *.

Very cool, and well worth the effort, but I can't make it work. When I hold down the alt key and type 01 my screen goes to the top of the page. There is no way to get to the 76.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I "cheat"; I keep a "Special Characters" file open in my text editor at all times, has the usual suspects (Rho, Psi, Degree sign, etc.) in there. I do most all my organization in text files, been doing it this way since 1970ish (the days when we had about the only home PC in our area LOL) - Modern text editors are free, you can sort the text file (so if you use ISO 9601 date formats, you can sort dates very simply, etc. etc.)

Also, it might be smart to cross check your temperature, just in case (Thermostats can be "slightly" inaccurate. Yes, I am understating when I say "slightly", its another of my many bad habits )

Boolit Master
    Tin and run the pot hot with big boolits .

Thanks...my Mac does it with the 'alt & 0' = º... that sure beats the * symbol.

Old Dogs learning new tricks!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Super Moderator

I cast a similar weight boolit for my 54 Cal muzzleloader with pure lead. It gave me fits at first, until I really cranked up the heat. Perfect fill-out, heat is your friend on this one.

I agree with ShooterAZ. I refuse to spend the extra money on tin when its mainly just for the looks. Sometimes I need more heat and sometimes less to help this problem.

Just shoot them if they are the right diameter. I seriously doubt you will tell a difference