Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

View Poll Results: Best Cast Boolit Caliber?

Voters
417. You may not vote on this poll
  • 17 cal

0 0%
  • 20 cal

0 0%
  • 22 cal

3 0.72%
  • .243/6 mm

1 0.24%
  • 25 cal

0 0%
  • 6.5mm

3 0.72%

1 0.24%
  • 7mm

1 0.24%
  • 30 cal

89 21.34%
  • 32 cal

14 3.36%
  • 8mm

6 1.44%
  • 8mm Large (0.329)

1 0.24%
  • 338 cal

0 0%
  • 35 cal

60 14.39%
  • 9.3mm

4 0.96%
  • 38 cal

66 15.83%
  • 40 cal

3 0.72%
  • 44 cal (.427-.430)

75 17.99%
  • 45 cal

172 41.25%
  • .475 cal

5 1.20%
  • 50 cal+

5 1.20%
  • other

11 2.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The absolute best cast boolit caliber/cartridge?

Boolit Master

38 rifle or pistol? same with 44. I don't cast many pistol bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm really liking my 32-40 for Scheutzen shooting. I wish I had started this type shooting many years earlier. It's really satisfying if you can understand that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kcajeel View Post
    I'm really liking my 32-40 for Scheutzen shooting. I wish I had started this type shooting many years earlier. It's really satisfying if you can understand that.
    I'll bite, what is scheutzen shooting?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCorkle View Post
    I'll bite, what is scheutzen shooting?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    http://blog.westernpowders.com/2017/...tive-shooting/
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

I read somewhere somebody analyzed it from a bunch of different criteria and determined the .30-40 Krag was the ultimate rifle cartridge for cast bullets. Not gonna disagree, it's a very good one. Guess it all depends on which of those criteria were most important to you.

Boolit Grand Master
    As has been mentioned, sometimes you’ve got to be more specific. I voted for 32 because for rifle, the 32-40 is hard to beat for everything from target to medium large game... they’ve been used for well over 110 years, and although brass may be difficult to find at Wal*Mart (it’s not there) it’s easily formed and worth the effort! Of course there are also the much loved (in some circles) 32 Spl and the extremely popular German 8 mm to add to the mix.

In handguns, the variety of 32s available makes any kind of shooting that can logically be done with a handgun convenient and effective. Anything from 32 Short & Wimpy to 327 Fed Mag and 32-20 with pretty much the same bunch of bullets.

Yep, if you just list “32” as a choice, it wins hands down!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Since I finally have one and it's not even listed- 38-55 of course!

Boolit Master
    I'm gonna go with what ever you have at the moment . So far I have enjoyed everything I have tried cast boolits in .

Boolit Buddy
    If i had to choose a caliber i would go with .375 - .380 as for some reason i seem to be able to cast better bullets for my 38-55 and .375/444 Marlin than any other caliber. I have 7 moulds in this range and with all of them i get good bullets from the first pour and very few rejects.

I also cast for 25-35, .30-30, .303. .357 & 44-40, all of which seem to take me some time to get into the groove and start producing good bullets.

I'm thinking a .358 caliber rifle bullet might work well too.

Boolit Man
    45 acp, 44 special & mag, 38 special & 357 mag/max, 40 Smith, 454 Casull Mag, 9mm, 7.62x39, 7.62 NATO/308, 458 SOCOM, 35 Rem, 30-30, 22 Hornet, 5.56/223 and a few more. Performance is directly dependent on alloy used for each projectile though some are less picky on alloy choice which I have four bottom pour lead pots to keep from having to empty pots and put another in as I am lazy alomg with easily confused. Have a Lyman 200 grain 45 acp SWC that have used with wheel weights for 35 years and will put it up against any load going. Have a target at work where fired a 100 round 2" group at 50 feet two hand hold with no rest using a 1911 custom carry comp pistol. Was much smaller at 50 but lost my original aiming dot totally which aiming at a hole is hard to do tring to remember where the true point of aim was at beginning. They make major class and would use for defense without hesitation. It shoots 1.5" 10 shot groups.
    For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions. 2 Timothy 4:3

Boolit Grand Master

Once you pick an application you can have a discussion on what the "best" is. Until than it's no different than debating what's the best ice-cream flavor is. What's "best" for a lead saving quiet squirrel cartridge is vastly different than what is "best" for 1,000 yard BPCR. Same for almost all other applications.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-20-2019 at 03:30 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    For somebody just interested in shooting who is getting into casting the first time, I’d say the .30 caliber. It has more good boolit designs in inexpensive production moulds than any other caliber. Good loads in this caliber will shoot out to “mid-range” well enough, and most shooters don’t go out anywhere near that far.

About the only deficiency would be somewhat lacking in power for big game hunting, where the diameter and weight would be a little below par at cast boolit velocities. This might not matter to a good field marksman, though.

Well, .45 covers a lot of territory, from 45/70 to .45 Colt, to .45 ACP, not to mention all the older black powder cartridges, so for sheer number of loads it gets my vote.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    I guessed the winner and voted 45 as well.

45 ACP and 45-70 have been very nice and easy for me for a long time. They also coat great.

45-70 hands down.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Grand Master

My view FWIW is straight walled rifle cartridges:

- .357 max.
    - .357 max. rimless
    - .375 Winchester
    - .44 mag.
    - .444 Marlin
    - .444 rimless
    - .45-70
    - 12 ga.

I like straight walled cartridges! The only one of those I currently own is .44 mag.

I have only owned and cast for limited calibers over the years:

- 9mm
    - .44 mag.
    - .30-30
    - .303 British
    - 7.65 x 53
    - .45-70
    - 20 ga. (slugs)
    - 12 ga. (slugs)

I find smaller calibers (like .30 cal.) harder to find good top end loads so while there are lots of moulds available most seem suited to moderate cast boolit loads. Lightweight boolits can't be driven to "J" bullet velocities... or at least easily... and retain accuracy with no leading. Heavy boolits maybe.

I figure the mid range of .35 cal. to large bore are the most versatile overall and prefer .44 cal. and up. I've owned two .45-70's that digested everything from collar button boolits to over 500 gr. boolits easily and for the most part loaded to "J" boolits specs with PB boolits. No leading, good accuracy. Easy to load for. Maybe hard on lead with the heavyweights. About the only disadvantage I see here is steep trajectory at long range. The smaller bores may provide flatter long range trajectory.

If I had to choose one cartridge it would likely be a choice between .444 Marlin, .45-70 or 12 ga. and I think .45-70 would be the choice because it is about the most versatile and brass is readily available, lots of moulds from round ball to 600 gr.+, history, performance range (download for target, upload for big toothy critters), easy to get good accuracy at top end loads or anywhere on down to mouse fart loads.

I voted .45-70 because that is my most likely single choice for "best" overall for what I want. 12 ga. would run a close 2nd.

Like I said... FWIW this is "best" for me!

Longbow

Boolit Mold
    45-70 best cast boolit ever made

Boolit Grand Master

Why did you leave out 9mm ?
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned
    This may depend on what your favorite truck is

Boolit Master
    I voted for the .32 on account of it's excellent reputation in the hands of men such as Pope, Zischang, Schoyen, and of course the famous 200yd. Rowland group. That being said, I have gotten excellent accuracy with .22, 6mm, .25, .38, .40 & .45 cast bullets. Some being way out of the realm of what would be considered normal cast bullet usage..such as a 6mm Winchester-Lee straight-pull sporting rifle & .25 Ackley Krag Improved.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast