Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: Range Box

Range Box

thinking of making one...something that opens on the side and would hold a cyl loading press and setup for knocking out the wedge on the colt style pistols
    of course I'm talking cap & ball but could be made for any type of firearm. Would be all wood with drawers for bullets, caps a place for lube.
    Anyone ever make or maybe bought one? I'v been retired for awhile now and soon to start spending alot of time at the range and really like the hobby of black powder guns.
    Cast Boolit Shooter and Caster

Boolit Buddy
    I was going to build something similar when I retired, 20 years ago. So far I haven't had time yet, so am still using large plastic tool boxes with the large single trays. Seems like building one has lost out to other things like range time, casting time, loading time, grandkids time and mama time, that seemed to be more important or more fun and now I am used to the plastic ones. I have a yellow one with just general range equip that I always take, a dark red one with just cleaning equip and two lighter red ones for ammo, handguns, scopes, etc.

Good luck on yours,

Jackpine

Jackpine..LoL sounds like I have your exact setup now also...minus the kids and mama

Boolit Master

I suggest you ping us for our opinions on how you should build yours.

Here's my input: make it narrow when all closed up. My range box is wide, and my arm is far away from my side when carrying it. It makes heavy boxes even heavier, it's awkward, and I could have kept the same capacity by just making it longer.

opinions good or bad is what I expected, please opine....I like that longer box would make more working room.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I use a Harbor Freight tool tote bag.....the one with wheels and a pop-up handle! Tons of room for boxes/pistols/stuff. And I didn't have to raise a finger in the wood shop!!!!!

Guess I'm getting lazy in my olde age! Plop a few greenbacks down at HF and I have a range "box"!

Wife hauls her books, lunch, and other "girly carp" to work in one of them I bought for her. Easy on her back.

bangerjim

Banned

a range box is easy and cheap enuf to make.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ee.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	377.7 KB 
ID:	221764

Boolit Man
    Nice, simple and functional design. Are the extra slots on the uprights for cleaning rods or just decorative?
    Steve

Boolit Grand Master

Our local Harbor freight had the wood machinists tool boxes () apprentice size) for $90.00. these have a 3-4" top under the lid a drop down door and drawers in various sizes. One could be used as a base to start out and modified into a very nice range box.

Banned

delrin fouling rods, as seen in the bottom pic.

I've thought about modifying a standard pistol box to use for my cap and ball guns. I've always liked the look and function of the old school bullseye boxes. I don't think it would be all that hard add a loading stand function to the pistol rack. The plans are an old NRA reprint on castpics.net
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FullSizeRender.jpg  

Boolit Master

Made this over 30 yrs ago and still going strong.
    Made with 3/8" plywood.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	221974

Boolit Master
    The kids got me one of these for my birthday last year. It seemed too fragile to me for my "normal" tool box use when compared to the Stanley or Huskey models but more obtainable than a pelican or Hardigg. It languished around the garage until one night I was packing up for a range trip and couldn't close the 12 in tool bag I had been using for years. It easily fit everything in my bag along with my 2 small bench rests, spotting scope, stapler, spare targets and so on. I was also able to include a med size first aid kit and the large tarp I use for catching brass with my pistols.

https://www.amazon.com/Keter-Masterl...+toolbox&psc=1