Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: What about these Federal hulls for Lee 1 oz or Lyman 525 slugs?

Boolit Master

What about these Federal hulls for Lee 1 oz or Lyman 525 slugs?

My brother just visited his local indoor range and was given a small trash bag of once fired Federal high brass maroon-colored hulls for a big $4.00. The hulls are marked Federal Field and Range and had been loaded with #7 steel shot. Will these work for slugs and if so do any of you have a recommended primer, wad and load? Thanks in advance, GF.

Boolit Master

Picture of the hull will get you a quicker answer. There are so many variants out there it's hard to tell with seeing the inside construction of the hull.

This might help out, see attached

Scott
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Banned

Ajay has a ton of pictures to see and a ton of good advice. Check out his threads and posts. Regardless, stick them in a wad and see how they look. Add nitro cards if necessary to bring them up to proper height. There is a lot of data for the Lyman 525 slug that is easy to find.

Boolit Master

Check the basewad. If they are plastic you're good to go.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Hogtamer: These are all with the carboard base wad. Based on the Federal load data provided above the Fed 12S3 wad should be used with a 1 1/8 oz shot load. Do you have an opinion whether that wad and the recommended powders would work with the Lee 1 oz and the Lyman 525 slugs? If the above is negative I do have a bunch of compression formed AA hulls and WA12 wads to try. Thanks, GF.

Boolit Master

OverFill the 525 bases with hot glue, then trim flush with a warm blade after it sets and you won't require a hard card under the slug. Try one and see what the weigh then. If light you could add a lead birdshot pellet or three to get right on 1 1/4 oz. If your alloy is less then pure lead the 525 will probably be weigh close to 1 1/8. If the slug does not sit flush on the base of the shotcup without bulging use a 20 ga 1/8" hard card in the bottom of of the cup. Either way fill it with hot glue for better result.
    As for the Lee 1 oz use a 20 ga then a 16 ga hard card in the base wad and use 1 1/8 oz data. I found no advantage to filling the Lee hollow base. Be sure and report your result with pics!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Make sure you use a wad designed for that hull , you don't want powder migration . Most fed hulls are strait wall hulls , but I'm not familiar with steel shot hulls .