Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can Lead be pulled up from the soil by plants?

Yes it can but all those farmers around the DoeRun mine would be dead by now.
    Whatever!

Banned

I don't doubt lead vapors from fuels ect can be abosorbed but I would have to guess if you buried a couple one lb ingots in your garden it would take many years for it to break down (if ever) to the point that plants absorbed it.

In Michigan where our gun club is. We have to have the ground water tested for lead. We been shooting into the berm since 1949. We never failed a ground water test yet. So it makes one wonder about all of this.

Boolit Master

Lead, as a metal is not soluble in water.
    Lead acetate and tetra ethyl lead is soluble and can be taken up by plants.
    In areas where lead is found naturally there is no measurable lead in the ground water or the fauna. It is only in urban/industrial areas where organic lead compounds (not metal) are found in ground water.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I don't doubt lead vapors from fuels ect can be abosorbed but I would have to guess if you buried a couple one lb ingots in your garden it would take many years for it to break down (if ever) to the point that plants absorbed it.
    Tetra ethyl lead from gasoline is taken up by plants and animals on contact. - A one pound ingot of lead in your garden would remain a one pound ingot without contamination of the soil.
    5 gallons of leaded gasoline WILL Contaminate soil with tetra ethyl lead...
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Grand Master

I knew there was good reason not to drink tea....it'll kill you! Drink Coffee !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    We're gonna die anyway. Don't let it worry you.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

Pulling heavy metals from the soil as a bio remediation technique is a tried and true method. Been around for years. Some plants are better than others at this and the articles/scientific articles are numerous. I worked on some of this while in college decades ago.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by daniel lawecki View Post
    In Michigan where our gun club is. We have to have the ground water tested for lead. We been shooting into the berm since 1949. We never failed a ground water test yet. So it makes one wonder about all of this.
    A way to create hysteria and ban lead ammunition based on everything but science

Boolit Grand Master

LOML is a senior geologist at the Commonwealth Department of Environmental Quality. She stated that legumes are the normative plant for phytoremediation of heavy metals, including lead. So, if this is your garden, don't eat the peas and beans! The legumes are harvested and compressed and put into a lined landfill. Soil is then retested to see how much is left, mutiple generations are typically needed. Because the other option is to remove the soil and put that in a landfill the phytoremediation is a more compact solution. She also stated that highbred Popular picks up almost anything.

For more information go to www.cluin.org
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Lead is actually the least of my concerns whether its bullets, ingots, smelting, or paint on our farm buildings. Agricultural chemicals is a big concern for me. Anything you buy that you didn't grow yourself is suspect.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes it can but all those farmers around the DoeRun mine would be dead by now.

What's Doe Run?

Boolit Grand Master

First SuperFund site. Google it and you will find a lot of information. Doe Run essentially established the SuperFund program.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned

Ill refrain in the future from trying to chemicaly break down gas and paint to get lead to cast bullets
    Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    Tetra ethyl lead from gasoline is taken up by plants and animals on contact. - A one pound ingot of lead in your garden would remain a one pound ingot without contamination of the soil.
    5 gallons of leaded gasoline WILL Contaminate soil with tetra ethyl lead...

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't pass this off as simple hysteria. That's a dangerous mistake to make. Sure, these metals have always been here. That doesn't mean that it's ok to just let them pollute the land and sea. We don't just pick lead and mercury out of topsoil, and came from deep within the earth. There's a certain level of heavy metals naturally present in the soil. We are adding to that and it WILL eventually cause serious health problems. Want an example of what happens when we bring stuff up and pollute the surface with it? Take a look at Pitcher Oklahoma and tell me that's ok. A town of 14,252 reduced to 0, and a level of lead and zinc contamination that will make that area a potential health risk for centuries. It's an extreme example, but even on a smaller scale, allowing heavy metals like lead and mercury to pollute our food, land, and water is not a smart thing to do. There will be a price to pay someday.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12