MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Local gunshop closing its doors.

Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    I'll pay $20-$30 more. MAYBE $50, but that's pushing it. I like local businesses, but there's got to be a limit as to what's reasonable. Instant gratification and the feeling you get for buying locally is only worth so much. I'll go in and chew the cud all day, but I'm not paying $450 for a $300 rifle or $30 for a $20 box of ammo.
    I try to factor in shipping. So for example a single Lee DC mold is $18 but has $6.50 shipping. Gun show vendor has same mold for about the same amount if you add on shipping or even a touch less. A pound or two of a different powder I want to try? Hello! Hazmat. So local source wins even if it is a couple bucks more per pound.

Where the local source loses a good deal of cash to online is in the larger purchases. If I need three molds it's still about $6.50 shipping, so I'm saving a good chunk, or my infrequent larger purchase of powder or some new shiny piece of equipment for the bench where high volume sales and an internet of competition translate to lower prices. The LGS is probably a failing business model but thanks to sites such as this we can share information one what online suppliers are good and which are less good, and which are awful. cough * CTD * cough.... cough * Bass Pro * choke!
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    My local shops can often do some trading (which would be difficult if not impossible at a big chain store) and if it comes to an actual cash purchase sell things way below manufacturer's suggested retail price. Example: msrp on a Lipsey Ruger GP100 44 Special is @ $869, and my local gun shop sold one to me for $530 OTD.

Boolit Master
    I do factor in shipping, but sales tax tends to balance that out, ESPECIALLY on a more expensive purchase. That $600 gun that can bought tax free online and shipped for $30 is going to have around $50 tacked onto it for sales tax.

LGS are unfortunately a doomed business plan unless they are online and competitive, and have a large and varied inventory. The only thing they really have going for them are accessories, ammo, and used guns that they can buy cheap.

yeah used guns are a niche market where big box has a hard time competing with an experienced person. And taking in used makes selling new with trade-in work better all around.

Assuming you ever trade or sell a firearm after acquisition
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    I live in a large city and have had my FFL since 2009. I knew what the business was like going into this and never had desire to stock a full storefront. I make my money from transfers and NFA sales and it keeps the lights on (barely). Even though I'm in the suburbs I have probably 100k people within a 10 mile radius, the only way to make money with this is to have a range. That is what brings people into your door.

For those that live in rural areas, a range isn't a big deal as most people probably have access to private land to shoot on.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    yeah used guns are a niche market where big box has a hard time competing with an experienced person. And taking in used makes selling new with trade-in work better all around.

Assuming you ever trade or sell a firearm after acquisition
    Very rarely and not in years. Only regret one, but absolutely love the gun I got because I sold that one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123