RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How soft can I cast a lee 310?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Ammohead, my 50/50 mix is around 10-10.5 bh. I'll have to try a 40/60 mix and test it

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ammohead View Post
    Tripplebeards,

I feel your pain. All these posters telling you that your bullet has a meplat as wide as a drum lid, or that your boolit is already the same diameter as an expanded 6.5 creedmore, or that you should worry more about your accuracy than expansion. They just don't understand your question. You want to know the OPTIMUM hardness for bang flop kills on any size deer at any range. After years of lurking on this board and asking many questions just like yours I learned the answer. You want your boolit to be 9.83 bhn +- .03 Anything softer is likely to bounce clean off, and any harder will zip right through like a sharpened pencil. No need for you to listen to all these posters with decades of experience. You go dude.
    I actually laughed out loud. Really.

This is in the top 10 funniest things I have read on this board. I had to wipe off my desk, the sarcasm dripped off the screen and formed a puddle....

Wipes sarcasm off keyboard.

Gee thanks guys. Nothing like sliming my keyboard before I've had my coffee.

Lol. Haven't seen a boolit bounce off an animal yet but I'm sure it could happen at about a 100fps. Wait, I've seen it shooti ng coons with my pellet gun!

I'm A Honcho!
    If I lived closer to you I would come and help you try this out. I will say...I shoot a pair of 77/44s and dont like the recoil in that light rifle with 300 grainers.

And at my own risk...PM your winning 432640 Devastator Loads. Im patiently awaiting the arrival of this mold.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

There isn't a lot of recoil with 19gr of h110 along with the devistator. I tried 21gr of h110 with the 310 and not a lot there either. Once you get up to the 23g load with h110 or 23.8gr of w296 using the devastators there is a good amount of recoil in that 5lb rifle. Its amazing how much recoil you gain by adding 2 grains of powder going from 21 to 23 gr. It fells like twice the kick from 19 to 23 gr with h110. 19gr of h110 has a muzzel velocity of 1575fps with the devistator. Its an all day plinking load. The 23.8gr of w296 is shooting 2.3" 100 yard groups but I wouldn't want to shoot that load a lot. haven't chronied the stout loads yet but would say they have to be close to 1800 fps.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-17-2018 at 05:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ammohead View Post
    Tripplebeards,

I feel your pain. All these posters telling you that your bullet has a meplat as wide as a drum lid, or that your boolit is already the same diameter as an expanded 6.5 creedmore, or that you should worry more about your accuracy than expansion. They just don't understand your question. You want to know the OPTIMUM hardness for bang flop kills on any size deer at any range. After years of lurking on this board and asking many questions just like yours I learned the answer. You want your boolit to be 9.83 bhn +- .03 Anything softer is likely to bounce clean off, and any harder will zip right through like a sharpened pencil. No need for you to listen to all these posters with decades of experience. You go dude.
    I agree with BHN 9-12 however there is no bouncing (EVER) with soft lead ,It expands faster and penetrates a little less .However powdercoat that same soft boolit and run it 18-2000 FPS and it will penetrate and ruin meat ,been there/ done that ! Little slower and shoot a little farther and and you will find a happy spot (16-1700 FPS) for me and the deer a sore spot (Fatal) .Experience trumps opinion every time

With that mold you could save your lead and cast cement boolits and still have a dead deer, deer go keel up with a well directed sneeze.
    The .357 Magnum......
    Major Douglas Wesson, using factory loads, which were a 158 gr. soft lead bullet, traveling 1515 fps, from an 8 3/4" barreled S&W, producing 812 ft. lbs of muzzle energy.
    Antelope - 200 yards (2 shots)
    Elk - 130 yards (1 shot)
    Moose - 100 yards (1 shot)
    Grizzly Bear - 135 yards (1 shot).

It kind of makes one wonder, why today, it will bounce off anything bigger than a rabbit

40sw 180gr Lee TC cast with pure and just a tad of Zn & Cu (~1/2% each). Backer is that fiber wall board. Med jacketed load of 231, 950 or so fps. As you can see, some hles are rectangular. ~1% Sb added to alloy for 185gr RD 30/30 on a dead pig gut expanded to ~40 cal., 16gr 2400. Soft expands but it's harder to keep accuracy in any faster twist.
    Attachment 223077
    Whatever!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12