Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a heads up ... Your brass may not be brass

Boolit Buddy

Just a heads up ... Your brass may not be brass

I was sorting through some range brass today after wet tumbling it and I noticed an odd looking 9mm “brass” case. It looked a bit odd so I swept it with a magnet and it turned out to be brass plated steel case. It was slightly copper colored and that is what stood out visually. Then I swepped the entire pile and found about 10 more out of roughly 500 9mm cases that were steel. They looked JUST like brass cases but as the magnet revealed they were only brass plated steel cases. These were NOT copper colored but yellow brass and looked identical to the other cases. If I wouldn’t have swepped all of them with a magnet I would not have caught them. Therefore, I’ve added a new step to my range brass inspection.

BTW, the two head stamps on those 9mm cases were FM and X-treme ST.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	49088EDF-618A-42F4-AE29-564A00A11FFE.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	221664
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EA5395DC-A545-4116-A31A-131D6A7EEFEC.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	221665

Very good to know

Boolit Master

Thanks for the heads up, I also found a X-trem steel case in some range pick up 9mm.

Several manufacturers are using brass plated steel cases. Checking for them is part of the case inspection regimen.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Yep S&B makes both 9mm brass cases and brass plated steel cases.

Boolit Master
    I find brass plated steel cases with the WIN head stamp and a few others, they can be reloaded but for me not worth the effort.

Boolit Buddy

Good to know

Boolit Master
    Is there a major reason steel "brass" can't be reloaded, as long as it's the normal boxer primer? I realize it will take a bit more pressure thru the press for resizing, but with the brass plated that might not be so bad. I wouldn't expect steel case to last thru as many reloads as does brass, but if steel is in the mix, and it's boxer primed - why not use it?

Boolit Grand Master

I keep a few magnets around my loading and tumbling areas. I guess I'll add a step and pass a magnet over everything before I process it.

Boolit Master

I've reloaded a few brass plated steel pistol cases. I used lube even with carbide and TiN dies. It wasn't too bad. I like plain brass better..

Boolit Buddy

Steel cases

I have reloaded WW2 Steel 45acp cases. Some of them several times. They were really no big deal. Sized with only a slight increase in effort. No splits even after several reloads.
    n.h.schmidt

I would always run a magnet over my brass before sorting it, then caught one that got past that process.

So I just keep a magnet on the clip that holds my case feeder tubes now. It doesn’t let them by.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have seen them. Garbage! At my range I find (mostly 9mm) brass, brass-plated steel, gray steel, and aluminum casings. The real brass is definitely the majority and is reloadable.

Just keep a weather eye out! And mabe a good strong magnet!

Works VERY well:

https://www.harborfreight.com/long-r...ase-93950.html

Boolit Bub
    I've been loading steel cases for years with no issues whatsoever. They don't wear out any quicker and I've not had any problems sizing them. I can't tell any difference as far as that goes. I'd not be afraid of reloading them as long as they were boxer primed. The brass plating makes it easier if anything and prevents corrosion. The only possible issue I can see with the steel cases is that they might have a different capacity causing a difference in point of impact vs the others. Of course that is true of the brass cases too from brand to brand.
    Frank

Boolit Master
    One thing I found loading steel cases is a lot of burs in side of the mouth of the case, after removing the burs they loaded as well as any other brass.

Boolit Mold
    Interesting, I'll keep my eyes peeled for them! Thanks

Boolit Master
    Jmorris that’s a good trick for catching those steel cases, will be adding that devise to mine in the am. Thanks for that info. I’ve never found one tho, if we could get something that would catch those little 380s that would be good to have.

Banned

I've never found any brass washed steel pistol cases at our ranges. I have seen a lot of brass washed steel 7.62x39. Checked into reloading it and the people I heard from said it wears there dies a lot, so I decided not to reload the steel. I have plenty of brass for each of my calibers so it's a non-issue.
    However, I do sweep my brass with a small magnet to check for steel, it is a good idea. That being said thanks much for the heads up!

Being able to load up some steel or brass plated steel cases for those times where recovering the casing isn't feasible would be nice.
    Retired Redleg
    I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood, I don't mind going out the same way.

Boolit Master

That's when I shoot steel. For times when I can't police brass for whatever reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast