RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingGraf & SonsStainLess Steel Media
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyADvertise here

Thread: Best "bang" for your buck

Boolit Master

Best "bang" for your buck

I've wanted to look into a PCP or break-barrel (another) for some time. The one I have is a cheap break barrel that seems louder than a .22 to me and is not very accurate. I seen where they now have silencers; do they suppress the sound pretty good or are they still pretty loud? I mainly want squirrel control around the homestead where it isn't feasible to use a .22 LR due to surrounding homes. We don't have an ordinance against shooting in the city, just a noise ordinance but even that should not be an issue when it come down to it. But I don't want a loud report, specially while I am actively suppressing the squirrel population. The problem around here is that I don't know anyone that has a decent rifle I can at least hear being shot and see how accurate it is, and sales ads just want to sell their product so I take their info with a grain of salt. I'd like a quite, accurate rifle in .17 or .22 that won't break the bank, but can put a squirrel to sleep out to 30-40 yards. I don't need a hunting rifle, just pest control, so what is out there and what price point do I pay less but get more?
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    Just a quick post, as others will write more certainly. I put much effort into trying to get a 'nitro piston' airgun to shoot accurately, to no avail. And those def. have a muzzle blast, so the newer models w/ a suppressor would be an improvement along those lines.

But I dearly love my single-stroke pneumatics and springer / break-barrels.

OK, try this. A Weihrauch (Beeman?) HW80. I'd choose .22 as you are not power restricted. Trim the barrel down to around 12", thread it, and fit a sound moderator made of steel. An old Parker Hale if you have one. Strip and clean, and easy job. Re-lube with a moderate amount of the correct grease. Fit a spring sleeve made from a sheet or 1mm or 2mm PTFE. You should end up with one of the best hunting air rifles ever made. No loud bang, but a definite thumping 'thwock'. Accurate and great for squirrels.
    The lion shall lie down with the lamb, but the lamb won't get much sleep.

Boolit Master
    I have a gamo Swarm in .22. when you talk accurate the pellets you use make a HUGE difference. Just because this guy said
    these pellets a spot on in his gun may not be in yours. My Gamo Swarm .22 shoots spot on using RWS super-H-point pellets. This
    rifle is about $180 on amazon with free shipping. Very quite also. I use mine off my back poach for squirrels.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S0_7y0QOzQ&t=889s
    Fly

Boolit Man
    i use suppressed .22LR with CCI quiet rounds on my Marlin - it's 29gr @ 780 fps about airgun power and very quiet but has enough power to go pass squirrel. Another option is to use CZ 453 deluxe, it has 28+ inches barrel and makes subsonic rounds sound like they are suppressed! Its also very accurate. Or you can buy PCP airgun like Marauder but it won't be cheap with airtank setup.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Prolly the best bang for a buck is the DIANA (RWS) 34, a well made springer at a good price, maybe not quite a HW97 or TX200, but better than most imports for under $200.

Ask 100 different people and you will get 100 different opinions.

Personally I prefer my old Sheridan Blue Streak for that kind of varmint housecleaning.

I've also been pretty happy with a couple of Hatsan break barrels in Vortex, one with suppressor that does help. Lots of choices.

Boolit Man
    Second the Sheridan Blue streak. 20 cal pellets are not as available as 22 or 177, but at 14.7g they hit as hard as the 22s. I have used all on hundreds of squirrels and the Old Sheridan has "it". The trigger is smoother and is just more accurate. I found mine at a pawn shop for $30 and rebuilt it for $25 in parts. If taken care of it will outlast my grandkids.

Boolit Master
    Ya my brother had a Sheridan & that really was a great rifle. Problem today is .20 pellets are getting harder to fine.

Fly
    Last edited by Fly; 06-08-2018 at 07:27 PM.

Stack em wide and deep while you still can.

I stacked up several thousand some years ago when I saw Walmart had raised their prices for pellets.
    Got on Amazon and found them at the old price so I stacked them up. Now wish I'd bought twice as many.
    Back then they were 6$ for 500 or a bit over a penny a piece.

Now they are just about double that. 11.19 and free shipping with prime. Down from 14$ a tin.

Boolit Master
    You might try the 17.2 gr .22 pellets. If a rifle breaks the sound barrier when using the standard 14.3 gr pellets the heavier pellet would likely be a good deal slower at the muzzle and might print tighter groups as well.
    With my pump up pneumatic the heavy pellets group well but way off to the left and below the POI of the 14.3 gr and similar weight pellets, so you'd probably have to re zero.