Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best "bang" for your buck

Boolit Master

Best "bang" for your buck

I've wanted to look into a PCP or break-barrel (another) for some time. The one I have is a cheap break barrel that seems louder than a .22 to me and is not very accurate. I seen where they now have silencers; do they suppress the sound pretty good or are they still pretty loud? I mainly want squirrel control around the homestead where it isn't feasible to use a .22 LR due to surrounding homes. We don't have an ordinance against shooting in the city, just a noise ordinance but even that should not be an issue when it come down to it. But I don't want a loud report, specially while I am actively suppressing the squirrel population. The problem around here is that I don't know anyone that has a decent rifle I can at least hear being shot and see how accurate it is, and sales ads just want to sell their product so I take their info with a grain of salt. I'd like a quite, accurate rifle in .17 or .22 that won't break the bank, but can put a squirrel to sleep out to 30-40 yards. I don't need a hunting rifle, just pest control, so what is out there and what price point do I pay less but get more?
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    Just a quick post, as others will write more certainly. I put much effort into trying to get a 'nitro piston' airgun to shoot accurately, to no avail. And those def. have a muzzle blast, so the newer models w/ a suppressor would be an improvement along those lines.

But I dearly love my single-stroke pneumatics and springer / break-barrels.

Banned
    OK, try this. A Weihrauch (Beeman?) HW80. I'd choose .22 as you are not power restricted. Trim the barrel down to around 12", thread it, and fit a sound moderator made of steel. An old Parker Hale if you have one. Strip and clean, and easy job. Re-lube with a moderate amount of the correct grease. Fit a spring sleeve made from a sheet or 1mm or 2mm PTFE. You should end up with one of the best hunting air rifles ever made. No loud bang, but a definite thumping 'thwock'. Accurate and great for squirrels.

Boolit Master
    I have a gamo Swarm in .22. when you talk accurate the pellets you use make a HUGE difference. Just because this guy said
    these pellets a spot on in his gun may not be in yours. My Gamo Swarm .22 shoots spot on using RWS super-H-point pellets. This
    rifle is about $180 on amazon with free shipping. Very quite also. I use mine off my back poach for squirrels.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S0_7y0QOzQ&t=889s
    Fly

i use suppressed .22LR with CCI quiet rounds on my Marlin - it's 29gr @ 780 fps about airgun power and very quiet but has enough power to go pass squirrel. Another option is to use CZ 453 deluxe, it has 28+ inches barrel and makes subsonic rounds sound like they are suppressed! Its also very accurate. Or you can buy PCP airgun like Marauder but it won't be cheap with airtank setup.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Prolly the best bang for a buck is the DIANA (RWS) 34, a well made springer at a good price, maybe not quite a HW97 or TX200, but better than most imports for under $200.

Ask 100 different people and you will get 100 different opinions.

Personally I prefer my old Sheridan Blue Streak for that kind of varmint housecleaning.

I've also been pretty happy with a couple of Hatsan break barrels in Vortex, one with suppressor that does help. Lots of choices.

Boolit Buddy
    Second the Sheridan Blue streak. 20 cal pellets are not as available as 22 or 177, but at 14.7g they hit as hard as the 22s. I have used all on hundreds of squirrels and the Old Sheridan has "it". The trigger is smoother and is just more accurate. I found mine at a pawn shop for $30 and rebuilt it for $25 in parts. If taken care of it will outlast my grandkids.

Boolit Master
    Ya my brother had a Sheridan & that really was a great rifle. Problem today is .20 pellets are getting harder to fine.

Fly
    Last edited by Fly; 06-08-2018 at 07:27 PM.

Stack em wide and deep while you still can.

I stacked up several thousand some years ago when I saw Walmart had raised their prices for pellets.
    Got on Amazon and found them at the old price so I stacked them up. Now wish I'd bought twice as many.
    Back then they were 6$ for 500 or a bit over a penny a piece.

Now they are just about double that. 11.19 and free shipping with prime. Down from 14$ a tin.

Boolit Master
    You might try the 17.2 gr .22 pellets. If a rifle breaks the sound barrier when using the standard 14.3 gr pellets the heavier pellet would likely be a good deal slower at the muzzle and might print tighter groups as well.
    With my pump up pneumatic the heavy pellets group well but way off to the left and below the POI of the 14.3 gr and similar weight pellets, so you'd probably have to re zero.

I went through an air rifle "frenzy" period a few years ago.
    They really stimulated my curiosity and I ended up trying
    a couple dozen of them actually. I started with spring piston rifles.
    I love very fine accuracy and found that after working with a
    bunch of them that very fine accuracy is hard to obtain with
    spring piston guns unless they are on the low power side,
    and even they are challenging. I have one spring piston rifle
    now and it's a Beeman R7. A very fine gun and highly recommended.

After I got my first PCP air rifle my search for "type" was over.
    These rifles are superbly accurate and are as easy to obtain fine
    accuracy with as firearms. After buying a number of FX and
    Daystate guns, all of which were superb I have retained two
    PCP rifles. An FX Verminator Tactical model and a Benjamin
    Marauder Pistol Carbine. FX rifles are superb. Cutting edge
    actually. But they are pricey. The Marauder Pistol Carbine
    is a "best buy for buck" gun, but an excellent performer.
    Both of these serve back yard sniper duty. Every once
    in a while I get out the R7, but not often.

If I was going to get a squirrel killer and wanted the most
    gun for the money I would get a Benjamin Marauder Rifle in 22 cal.
    It is very accurate and is quiet for a PCP. They have various
    combos with a pump or a carbon bottle you can get filled
    at your local paintball gun store. These are very good guns
    and will head shoot squirrels with ease at 50 yards with
    preferred pellets if you are up to it. JSB Exact pellets are
    all I use. They are very consistent and shoot in just about
    every gun I've tried them in.

An excellent site that is full of airgun nuts and very willing
    to help is https://airgunwarriors.com
    I've been out of the loop a few years. There may be
    some new things they could tell you about.

dxr

FX Verminator --

Marauder Pistol Carbine --

Last edited by doctorxring; 06-23-2018 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorxring View Post
    I went through an air rifle "frenzy" period a few years ago.
    They really stimulated my curiosity and I ended up trying
    a couple dozen of them actually. I started with spring piston rifles.
    I love very fine accuracy and found that after working with a
    bunch of them that very fine accuracy is hard to obtain with
    spring piston guns unless they are on the low power side,
    and even they are challenging. I have one spring piston rifle
    now and it's a Beeman R7. A very fine gun and highly recommended.

After I got my first PCP air rifle my search for "type" was over.
    These rifles are superbly accurate and are as easy to obtain fine
    accuracy with as firearms. After buying a number of FX and
    Daystate guns, all of which were superb I have retained two
    PCP rifles. An FX Verminator Tactical model and a Benjamin
    Marauder Pistol Carbine. FX rifles are superb. Cutting edge
    actually. But they are pricey. The Marauder Pistol Carbine
    is a "best buy for buck" gun, but an excellent performer.
    Both of these serve back yard sniper duty. Every once
    in a while I get out the R7, but not often.

If I was going to get a squirrel killer and wanted the most
    gun for the money I would get a Benjamin Marauder Rifle in 22 cal.
    It is very accurate and is quiet for a PCP. They have various
    combos with a pump or a carbon bottle you can get filled
    at your local paintball gun store. These are very good guns
    and will head shoot squirrels with ease at 50 yards with
    preferred pellets if you are up to it. JSB Exact pellets are
    all I use. They are very consistent and shoot in just about
    every gun I've tried them in.

An excellent site that is full of airgun nuts and very willing
    to help is https://airgunwarriors.com
    I've been out of the loop a few years. There may be
    some new things they could tell you about.

dxr

FX Verminator --

Marauder Pistol Carbine --

I have been shooting air now for over 12 years . Had a 140 pumper as a kid . When I came back to air I started with a springer . First though was this is no were close to the smooth accuracy I had as a kid . Bought several springers . The last was a RWS 46 E . under lever bench rest quality rifle . Did this to get away from the barrel lock up issues . It was a better rifle than the rest . But even it would not hold up under every day use . If it was not the spring it was the seal . About that time the Discovery came about . Bought one and ended up selling the springers . Went into big bores and 25 calibers which I still have . Due to a move they are in storage and I have bought several .177 pistol and rifles in the last 2 years . Bought what are called cheap entry level PCP . Under $200 is the Chief and XS 60 C . First Chief went back but the 2nd one has had several thousand pellets go through it with amassing accuracy for the cost of the rifle . The XS is doing good as well . Under $300 is the Sentry and Gauntlet . Both are good rifles although the Gauntlet is heavy . Then under $600 is a Talon SS and a Challenger as well as a Condor I already had . I have heard of springers holding up and never needing a seal or spring . But I never had that experience . Then again I chony my heard regularly as well . I will say that I never came close in any of these price ranges of having a springer come close in performance or pleasure of shooting . It is much cheaper to get into PCP now than before . Just my experience in the air gun sport .Marvin

Boolit Bub
    Interesting! My old .22 with cb shorts, and a pneumatic muffler taped on the end is pretty quiet....but this pneumatic weapon stuff sounds interesting!.....I remember using an old Sheridan head-shooting bunnies inside I-beams stacked in a steel yard.....

Crosman makes two really nice ones that have Woodstock's, break action and have them in .177 caliber and .22 caliber plus they come with a scopes for about $100.

Boolit Master

Not quite as much fun, but a live trap and a bucket of water large enough to hold the trap is Very effective. If you don't mind the occasional by catch, a rat trap works as well. Use black oil sunflower seeds for bait. I've also had good luck with the CCI quiets in a long barreled bolt rifle. If you don't have one, the used gun shops usually have a shelf of them for around $100. All you hear is the firing pin drop and the impact of the bullet.

Boolit Bub
    My vote is a Benjamin Marauder rifle in .22 or .25.

In the best buy, read entry level - I picked up a Crosman Fire Nitro Piston Powered Break Barrel rifle. $120cdn. Caliber .177. Vel 495fps. Up here if they shoot faster that I think 500fps they are considered a firearm. With Crossman pellets both HP and spire point the gun is amazingly accurate with it's 4x32 scope. It shoot quiet enough and out to 25 yards I would think it would do a number on squirrels and such. Prior to this purchase my last air rifle was a Red Rider Daisy BB gun and when I was 12 years old that rifle ruled the neighbourhood. No English Sparrow was safe in our back yard.

Back then we even had BB gun fights. We would choose sides than go fight the Germans/Japs depending on which theater we wanted to participate in. How we didn't knock each other eyes out I will never know. We did have rules though. When you caught a guy in the Open chivalry demanded you allowed the victim to turn around and you fired your BB into the back of his jacket. We all lived in War time houses then and times were a lot different. All the fathers had served overseas and well kids would be kids. Today, we would all be in counselling no doubt with an army of social workers wring their collective hands. I digress.

Not sure if that helps much. Nice to be reminded of a gentler simpler time made up of some great memories.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    [...] Back then we even had BB gun fights. We would choose sides than go fight the Germans/Japs depending on which theater we wanted to participate in. How we didn't knock each other eyes out I will never know. We did have rules though. When you caught a guy in the Open chivalry demanded you allowed the victim to turn around and you fired your BB into the back of his jacket. We all lived in War time houses then and times were a lot different. All the fathers had served overseas and well kids would be kids. Today, we would all be in counselling no doubt with an army of social workers wring their collective hands. I digress.

Not sure if that helps much. Nice to be reminded of a gentler simpler time made up of some great memories.
    Thanks for the smile this morning, I remember stuff like that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    Back then we even had BB gun fights. We would choose sides than go fight the Germans/Japs depending on which theater we wanted to participate in. How we didn't knock each other eyes out I will never know. We did have rules though. When you caught a guy in the Open chivalry demanded you allowed the victim to turn around and you fired your BB into the back of his jacket. We all lived in War time houses then and times were a lot different. All the fathers had served overseas and well kids would be kids. Today, we would all be in counselling no doubt with an army of social workers wring their collective hands. I digress.
    This reminds me of my misspent youth in Hackney, a borough in the East End of London. This would be around 1958 when I was 8 years old. We used to gather in groups of around a dozen or so for 'stone raids'. There took place on one or other of the many 'bomb sites' still flattened after the war. We divided up into two teams and were given an arbitrary time to build barricades then we would pelt each other with stones, up to and including half bricks. (BB guns were none existent here in the UK at that time). How in God's name nobody was killed I don't know, but as far as I can remember nobody even needed to go to hospital, although some spectacular lumps were raised on heads, and cuts were common place. Hardly surprising when half a brick landed on your head having been thrown from 10 yards or so. Yes, we certainly used to make our own fun back then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast