RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: two problems need help

Boolit Master

two problems need help

Problem #1
    I have not done this yet so before I mess up I will ask. I have in hand an action and a .050" short chambered barrel. Checking against another finished barrel .050 looks about right. The finished chamber allows a new case to fall into chamber to flush with the extracter cut and the short chamber stops about .050" out.
    I have the reamer but want to be cautious about damaging it or the barrel. I was told by the JGS rep to use a water soluable lube. They sell the lube but in a 5 gal minimum. I dont think I will need 5 gal to finish .050" out of a chamber so dont want to do the 5 gal cost trip.
    QUESTION What can I get in the quantity I need that will work for the job?
    Problem#2
    Someone traded in a Krico 22/250 last week. I found that it requires the scope adjuster to be fully to the left and is still not quite centered. This is with two peace Weaver bases. I want to put windage adjustable bases on it so to get the scope near the center of its adjustment. I can find no referance to the Krico rifle for a cross over to something more common.
    Does anyone have experiance on this that can stear me in the right direction? It is a model K-607 Made by Krico in Germany. It is stamped 22-250 Rem so is post 1965 vintage.
    The is a real nice rifle and if I can get a couple buggs worked out should I beleive be a shooter.
    Thanks to all for help, and for putting up with all the BS from this location. Happy hollidays and God bless all.
    BIC/BS

Banned
    Dan,

You can use pipe thread cutting oil that hardware stores sell, the kind that is a sulfur base. Vegetable oil would work also. You're not going to be spinning this reamer at high speed, really should be turning it by hand. You lube up, cut a wee little bit, pull it out, clean out chamber, and check with go and no go gauges. You can take a wee little bit out, but you can't put too much taken out back.

Joe

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Dan,regarding the scope being way off....
    I traded into a sav 99 that the owner gave up on because he also could never git it near zero. I went over with some Millet Angle-Lock rings and put it right on in minutes. you tighten one side or the other to draw it in to center and you are off and running.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

None
    Yeah, what Joe says. I use used transmission fluid for cutting oil. Be sure to use enough to keep it flushed clean so that chips from the reamer don't clog up the flutes or scratch the chamber/throat.

Sometimes on the Weaver bases you can file off one "gripper foot" so the scope will move to that side a few thousanths. It's best to use a scope ring lapping tool aferwards though, so you don't bind the scope.

Banned
    Not to run down what Grumble said but you'd be better off with that pipe threat cutting oil rather then ATF which isn't meant to be a cuttiong fluid. Sorry grumble.

Joe

Ever since I purchased my first set of Burris rings with the plastic inserts I have not touched my scope ring lapping bar.
    With the Burris rings you can get offset inserts in 5, 10, and 20 moa.
    combined you can get 40 MOA

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Any oil used for cutting must have a high content of sulphur to help prevent shatters. ... felix
    felix

None
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal
    Not to run down what Grumble said but you'd be better off with that pipe threat cutting oil rather then ATF which isn't meant to be a cuttiong fluid. Sorry grumble.

Joe
    That's ok, Joe. I've used it for years, and have had no problems with a hand-turned reamer. Use what works, sez I. With hand turning, I don't worry too much about chatter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairtrigger
    Ever since I purchased my first set of Burris rings with the plastic inserts I have not touched my scope ring lapping bar.
    With the Burris rings you can get offset inserts in 5, 10, and 20 moa.
    combined you can get 40 MOA
    Yes indeed,,another great option. I use that ring to great effect to gain elev on a 22-250 Encore barrel.
    A bonus to the inserts is they do not mar the finish on the scope tube while doing a great job in holding steady.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

castboolits@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by 45nut
    A bonus to the inserts is they do not mar the finish on the scope tube while doing a great job in holding steady.
    STOP telling people.
    I have no problem purchasing good scopes cheep because of ring marks.

MARKS not dents

Boolit Master
    hairtrigger
    Will those Burris rings fit the Weaver bases I already have?
    45 Nut
    I have never heard of the Millet angle lock rings. Will they fit the weaver bases I already have?
    On reaming
    Do you just wet the reamer each time you remove it to clean chips off, or do you keep a flow from the muzzle while turning the reamer?
    Please be patient with me as I dont want to learn from my mistakes this time.
    BIC/BS

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Bullshop On reaming
    Do you just wet the reamer each time you remove it to clean chips off?
    Yes, a very little turn can remove alot of material, be very carefull when close or you'll over cut the chamber. If you feel it cut, remove and clean reamer and chamber, then check headspace. A little goes a very long way here.
    Please be patient with me as I dont want to learn from my mistakes this time.
    Go slow here, not a time to go fast or alot.

Boolit Bub
    Bullshop,
    Sometimes, if your really lucky, you can change the back ring to the front and front to back and effect better alignment of the scope. If that don't work a shim under one half of a base will tilt the scope in the desired direction.

I have chambered barrels in a chambering lathe and in that application there is a continual oil bath supplied thru the bore to the reamer, and it is still prone to collect chips and ring the chamber. So, as suggested above, slow and easy will carry the day. If you would, post the results and let us know how you made out.
    NRA life

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop
    hairtrigger
    Will those Burris rings fit the Weaver bases I already have?
    45 Nut
    I have never heard of the Millet angle lock rings. Will they fit the weaver bases I already have?
    BIC/BS
    http://www.millettsights.com/open.html
    Both the Burris and the Millet will fit weaver bases..

castboolits@gmail.com

I HEARTILY recommend the Millet angle-lock rings. They go on all my dual-weaver mount guns to correct base offset issues.

Unless you are dealing with an up-down issue the angle-locks will correct any side to side issues you may have.

Oldfeller
    All retired now, just growing tomatoes and building and shooting my guns.

I really like Burris rings because they put no stress on the scope and hold really well. Have put the inserts on the diagonal and corrected for windage and elevation problems. Mel

Boolit Master
    As usual many here rushed to my aid with the needed info. I am now armed and ready for the challenge. Many thanks to all ! Will be a bit before I can get to town for cutting oil. Temp is in the mid -30's so best to stay home till it lets up in a week or so.
    God Bless all
    BIC/BS

Water soluable cutting fluids

Bullshop,

I don't want to assume too much, but the stuff I use is available in one gallon containers. I also dilute it 10 to 1 up to 30 to 1. Do you have access to some mail order place like J&L? Did JGS reccomend a certain brand?
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Boolit Master
    Old Vic
    I never heard of J&L so dont have that. The JGS guy just said water soluable lube and not being a machinist have no idea what that is. He never said a brand only mentioned a couple times water soluable lube.
    BIC/BS

Moderator Emeritus

Bullshop, I don't know what you may or may not already be set up to do, but if you can drill & tap, you may (?) want to try redrilling and tapping that receiver and those pesky bases to 8x40 screws rather than the 6x48's that I assume are on there now. There should be enough overlap in going to the 8x40's to correct the alignment issue. Just a thought. Then you'd have really solid bases and maybe a stronger setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast