RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1885 hi wall Uberti versus Pedersoli

Boolit Master

1885 hi wall Uberti versus Pedersoli

Any thoughts on a comparison of Italian 1885's???????

Pedersoli has a reputation for producing accurate barrels. Both produce good rifles.

Boolit Grand Master

I have one of each in 45-70 and I am not a good enough shot to tell the difference either one will bust a small pumpkin at 300 yards. Neither one will do the magic inch off the bench at 100 but that is mostly my eyes.

Both great guns, so I'd choose the one that looks the best. If they look identical, then the lower priced one.

Boolit Buddy
    They ARE identical. Pedersoli makes both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpsguy View Post
    They ARE identical. Pedersoli makes both of them.
    That doesn't make them the same. Uberti is free to set their own specifications, which may differ from Pedersoli.

Boolit Buddy
    The external level of finish may differ, but Pedersoli makes all of them, in the same factory.

Boolit Master
    The external level of finish may differ, but Pedersoli makes all of them, in the same factory.
    That would make sense - somebody told me Uberti does the wood for pedersolis
    Thanks for the replys.

Boolit Master
    Correct.

Banned

yep, one manufacturer and different rebranding. like lyman, DGW and cabelas trad ml rifles - all made by investarms.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    yep, one manufacturer and different rebranding. like lyman, DGW and cabelas trad ml rifles - all made by investarms.
    So who makes Uberti's 1976 rifle ?? is that an undercover pedersoli too?

Boolit Grand Master

If possible look over the 2 rifles and handle them. Look at quality of the wood, fit, finish, and smoothness of operation. Read up on them also ( the browning 1885 is actually a different action than the originals). Check different web sites and if possible the likes dislikes, or postings by buyers. If possible check the bore and chamber with a bore scope, here look for rough areas, pay attention to the leade for evenness around the bore.

Even among the same make and model small diffrences in wood size, length of pull, the flow of the surfaces can make a big difference in what "feels / looks" right to you. Same with barrels contours small differences can really affect your perception. Handle them and see. Research them and find out any issues.

Boolit Mold
    I believe Pedersoli makes 74 sharps for Uberti.Uberti furnisher receivers to Pedersoli for their hi-wall.Pedersoli finished the receiver and put their barrel and wood on it.Pedersoli comes with a single set trigger and cost a little over $2200.Uberti has a double set trigger as an option and cost a little over $1200

Pedersoli 1885's are impossible to find too! Plenty of Uberti 1885's though, and all sorts of calibers and configurations.

So tagging on more info here concerning the ped/uberti hiwall's.

How close do they conform to the Browning/Winchester original action?

I know all about the new japchesters

Concerning the ped/uberti hiwall's & lowall's, is it possible to just buy the actions? Are they as strong as a Ruger #1? Are they only suitable for "vintage" calibers?

TIA
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    So tagging on more info here concerning the ped/uberti hiwall's.

I know all about the new japchesters
    They follow the pattern so they are basically a clone of a true Winchester Singleshot.
    Parts interchangeability is hit and miss. ...which is true of most of the makers and even Winchester on some of it.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

Actually the original Browning is quite different from the Winchester version, Winchester used Browning's ingenious falling block/floating hammer idea (after buying the patent) and completely redesigned it into the 1885 that we know today. Except for a similar outward appearance and that floating hammer idea almost nothing in the original Browning and the original 1885 by Winchester is the same. As for the Ped/Ubertis they are nearly identical to the original Winchester in almost every way with about the only notable difference being that they use a hybrid main/lever spring system that utilizes both a coil hammer spring and the flat spring, the original Winchesters used either a coil or a flat spring but I don't think they ever built a rifle that used both like the imports do.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

I for one would really like to see close up photo's of the true original hiwall model that Mr Browning had before Winchester produced what we now know as the model of 1885.

Boolit Master
    I for one would really like to see close up photo's of the true original hiwall model that Mr Browning had before Winchester produced what we now know as the model of 1885.
    Was there really such a thing? I have read stuff saying winchester bought Brownings designs but it was winchester engineers that did the legwork to build functional firearms from some of his designs - we dont know - we were not there but the timeline on some of em favours that explanation. I had an original low wall in 44/40 - if Winchester changed the Browning design to arrive at that rifle I say they improved it .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast