MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hot weather lube?

Boolit Grand Master
    Carnauba Red holds up just fine in the 110*-115* summers we have here in inland southern California. I don't shoot once the temps hit 100*--I'm not immortal anymore. But back when I did, the C-Red held up fine while shooting in 100*+ temps in 22 Hornet at 2400 FPS, in 30-06 at 1800-2200 FPS, and in 9.3 x 62 from 1700-2100 FPS. All three calibers did good work using C-Red in more moderate temps as well. It is my rifle lube for any bullet running 1400 FPS plus.

Alox/BW 50/50 does not "melt out" in 100*+ temps, even when loaded rounds are stored in bulk in coffee cans. They have yet to foul powder as far as I can tell. I have used it since 1985.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Coating works for me, 32F to 102F I can't take hotter then that. No lube purge, sticky boolits either.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm a north central Florida Boy myself and fairly new to casting my own boolits, but have been shooting/loading cast bullets for a long time. Montana Bullet Works is who I purchased commercially made hard cast boolits from and they use a blue lube. This lube gave me fliers as stated in an above post. . .always high left on about the 4th to 6th shot. I have recently started playing with the 666+1+1 lube, what is the consensus on this one? I have a guy that I shoot with and he is who turned me on to this and swears by it. I took a golf ball sized piece and put it in a pan then left it in the sun on my truck dashboard while at work for the day and it didn't really seem to change much other than getting a little - a little - softer to the touch. Anyone else shooting this formula on their boolits?

Boolit Master

I am using the SL-68B. I have yours and a couple others writen down. So far the SL-68B is filling the bill. I am happy with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by OFFSHORE View Post
    I'm a north central Florida Boy myself and fairly new to casting my own boolits, but have been shooting/loading cast bullets for a long time. Montana Bullet Works is who I purchased commercially made hard cast boolits from and they use a blue lube. This lube gave me fliers as stated in an above post. . .always high left on about the 4th to 6th shot. I have recently started playing with the 666+1+1 lube, what is the consensus on this one? I have a guy that I shoot with and he is who turned me on to this and swears by it. I took a golf ball sized piece and put it in a pan then left it in the sun on my truck dashboard while at work for the day and it didn't really seem to change much other than getting a little - a little - softer to the touch. Anyone else shooting this formula on their boolits?
    Is one of those +1 Jojoba oil ?

I haven't tried the 666+1(ivory soap) that 357MAXIMUM created and called Satan's lube, but some here (who I trust) have used it and reported positively about it. If I didn't get into making SL68B, I probably would have went the route of using 666+1 as it is such a simple recipe. Actually if you look at the recipe for SL68B, chemically it is very similar to 666+1 except that Satan's lube has a lower percentage of soap...it has about 5%, whereas SL68B is about 33% soap.

If heat is a potential issue for you, the soap is what raises the melt temp, and the more soap the higher the melt temp. SL68B has about as much soap as you can incorporate into the mix.

I imagine the Jojoba oil is added for High velocity rifle use, but it wouldn't be needed for standard cast boolit velocitys in both rifle and pistol.

As to the dashboard test, did the pan feel oily? Try putting the lube sample on a paper towel, to see if any oil weeps out (separates) from the lube.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    http://www.castpics.net/subsite/Lube/LubeFormulae.html

MMML is simply outstanding.

I've wanted to try SL68B for some time for lower pressure cartridges.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Is one of those +1 Jojoba oil ?

I haven't tried the 666+1(ivory soap) that 357MAXIMUM created and called Satan's lube, but some here (who I trust) have used it and reported positively about it. If I didn't get into making SL68B, I probably would have went the route of using 666+1 as it is such a simple recipe. Actually if you look at the recipe for SL68B, chemically it is very similar to 666+1 except that Satan's lube has a lower percentage of soap...it has about 5%, whereas SL68B is about 33% soap.

If heat is a potential issue for you, the soap is what raises the melt temp, and the more soap the higher the melt temp. SL68B has about as much soap as you can incorporate into the mix.

I imagine the Jojoba oil is added for High velocity rifle use, but it wouldn't be needed for standard cast boolit velocitys in both rifle and pistol.

As to the dashboard test, did the pan feel oily? Try putting the lube sample on a paper towel, to see if any oil weeps out (separates) from the lube.
    The 666+1+1 is the Satan's Lube recipe and the second +1 is a tablespoon of castor oil. I have not tried any on rifle boolits and the hottest cast round I shoot at the time is a 300 gr. boolit from my 445 Super Mag at 1688 FPS. I've only been shooting it for about 4 months (roughly 700/900 rounds) and it has served me well, even in this 95/100 degree Summer heat we've been having. I planned on trying some loads put in a cooler over ice to simulate colder conditions my next outing just to see how it does. I'll post my findings when I do.

Boolit Master

I hear nothing but good things about soap lubes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12