ADvertise hereLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2StainLess Steel MediaGraf & Sons

Thread: Hot weather lube?

Hot weather lube?

Has anyone come up with a good formula for a hot weather lube that will hold up to higher temps? I live in Florida and have had issues with melting lube at the range.

I too live in Florida. I second the SL-68B. I just started using it. Bens Red will hold up pretty good also until starts geting over 80*. It wont lead, but it will throw some flyers. Not so bad in the 6.5mm to .270 cal i shoot. You will just think you pulled the shot. In the 30 cals you will get the distinctive lube purge pattern.

Two coats of 45/45/10 might also do the trick. One coat worked in the 380 but failed my 357. I dont have any unlubed 9mm to tumble (good a reason as any to fire up the pot) to test. Two coats worked yesterday at 99 degrees in my 30-30 and Grendel plinking loads.

There is also an SL-71 that i havent had a chance to cook up. Still slowely implementing the SL-68B into all my bullets.

It was so hot sunday it made my Simple Lubed bullets fail. I could also add some Charnoba wax and parafin to it to make it stand the heat better. But for us southern swamp hunters i think the soap lubes will be best. It wont get cold enough to cause problems but it has to be able to good enough in the heat to develope a load that still works come hunting season.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Man
    What is - “the distinctive lube purge pattern“.

Boolit Master

Powder Coat,’cold hot or
    Humid it matters not.

Boolit Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Yes.......powder coating.......hot, cold.......no difference.

No leading & no grease shooting smoke.

Only way to go, especially in hot sticky FL!

Even works in “surface of the sun” Arizona.

I have tried powder coating. Works in some guns and not others. It has its own peculiarities and its not without its own effort and hard work. I find it easier and quicker to tumble lube or traditionally lube bullets. SL-68B is pretty easy to make and will serve you well.

A lube purge group: You will get a few shots that group nicely and normal. Then the next shot will go 4 inches out side the group. It will do it consistently. So if it does it every 4th shot. and you take 16 shots. Then you will have two nice and normal groups that are 4 inches out. One with 4 shots (mine were 4 inches high and an inch left) and the 12 shots at your normal POA. My 30-30 is notorious for it and the reason why i started following the lube quests.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    I have tried powder coating. Works in some guns and not others. It has its own peculiarities and its not without its own effort and hard work. I find it easier and quicker to tumble lube or traditionally lube bullets. SL-68B is pretty easy to make and will serve you well.

A lube purge group: You will get a few shots that group nicely and normal. Then the next shot will go 4 inches out side the group. It will do it consistently. So if it does it every 4th shot. and you take 16 shots. Then you will have two nice and normal groups that are 4 inches out. One with 4 shots (mine were 4 inches high and an inch left) and the 12 shots at your normal POA. My 30-30 is notorious for it and the reason why i started following the lube quests.
    Not sure what guns you are using, but I have 10 different cals for dozens of different long and short guns/revolvers/semi’s and PC works perfectly in ALL of them. Never found a gun that did not like PC.

I DID find several of them that hated old greasy lubes. And I hated them for the shooting smoke and leading that occurred with the greasy lube melted off or thinned out in hot weather.

Use whatever works for your needs. PC fills all my needs 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    I too live in Florida. I second the SL-68B. I just started using it. Bens Red will hold up pretty good also until starts geting over 80*. It wont lead, but it will throw some flyers. Not so bad in the 6.5mm to .270 cal i shoot. You will just think you pulled the shot. In the 30 cals you will get the distinctive lube purge pattern.

Two coats of 45/45/10 might also do the trick. One coat worked in the 380 but failed my 357. I dont have any unlubed 9mm to tumble (good a reason as any to fire up the pot) to test. Two coats worked yesterday at 99 degrees in my 30-30 and Grendel plinking loads.

There is also an SL-71 that i havent had a chance to cook up. Still slowely implementing the SL-68B into all my bullets.

It was so hot sunday it made my Simple Lubed bullets fail. I could also add some Charnoba wax and parafin to it to make it stand the heat better. But for us southern swamp hunters i think the soap lubes will be best. It wont get cold enough to cause problems but it has to be able to good enough in the heat to develope a load that still works come hunting season.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    Not to doubt your results with Ben's Red, but that's the first I've heard of heat problems with it.
    I've used it for years with zero problems in heat or cold.

I've shot it in 95 to 100 degree temps with the heat index at 105 to 112 degrees with the same tight groups as usual and have never seen it purge. I know of one person that has used it down to about -20 degrees with no problem on that end either.

Again, not doubting your results, but since I've had just the opposite results with it, I felt I should post those results just as I have in the past.
    The extreme temp range and total lack of purge shots is why I've stuck Ben's Red and also BLL for years now.
    Hope the SL series lubes work out great for you!!

Randy’s Tac X holds up to inside vehicle temps in 100/100 GA.